Bitcoin Forum
September 19, 2024, 02:25:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: migrating a p2pool node to another server (hardware)  (Read 894 times)
vogelor (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:37:40 AM

Hello Forum. This is my first post here and i hope it is the right place  Smiley

Can anybody tell me, how a p2pool-node is "defined", by his IP, his payout-address or by some data stored in the data-dir?

i asked, because i want to migrate a p2pool-node from one hardware-machine to another and i dont want to setup a new node. i want to MIGRATE the node with all its shares and so on.

i know i can copy the data dir from the old node to the new one. but is it still the same node for the p2pool network?

Thank you!

Olli
roy7

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:25:19 PM

Hello Forum. This is my first post here and i hope it is the right place  Smiley

Can anybody tell me, how a p2pool-node is "defined", by his IP, his payout-address or by some data stored in the data-dir?

i asked, because i want to migrate a p2pool-node from one hardware-machine to another and i dont want to setup a new node. i want to MIGRATE the node with all its shares and so on.

i know i can copy the data dir from the old node to the new one. but is it still the same node for the p2pool network?

Thank you!

Olli

The shares for payment are on the p2pool payment block chain based on the addresses used to mine them (that is, the bitcoin payment addresses where the payments go). You could shut the node down and delete everything and those payments still get sent once a block is found, since the p2pool share blockchain is shared across the p2pool network.

Copying over the data directory/etc is useful if you want to keep your stats on the graphs/etc. If you don't care about that, then you don't need to copy things over. Any new work you do will credit whatever payment addresses you are mining with.

The only risk I can think of is if you were running the pool with a fee, and the pool was paying to the local bitcoind wallet and not an address you provided. If so be sure you have access to that wallet for any payments that arrive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: