Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:28:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: In light of the fact that block-solving difficulty is adversely affected by new users (generating nodes)...
I've had some guilty thoughts about all this BTC press, earnouts will drop for me. - 2 (5.6%)
Never had a guilty thought, I'm still very excited about new users, that helps BTC value. - 27 (75%)
Mixed opinions on the matter - 7 (19.4%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Miners: a Conflict of Interest?  (Read 2006 times)
spenvo (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2011, 10:58:45 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2011, 11:16:19 PM by spenvo

I'm curious. I think it's a fair question, there are plenty of miners in BTC community at this point, and press will inevitably bring more miners into the system.  How does everybody feel about it?  [edit, did say: "mostly miners" edit 2: did say something to the effect of that the question might be unfair/heretical. i still don't think it is.]

www.SpreadtheCoin.com - Free Printable Bitcoin Certificates.  A Transparent Company.

www.BitcoinBulletin.com - Reviews and Interviews.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
khal

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2011, 11:07:34 PM

I may add :
- If only i discovered bitcoin sooner... :p
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 11:12:36 PM

the BTC community is mostly miners at this point,
says who? and how does he (that says) know?

and press will inevitably bring more miners into the system.
the more, the better.
the network gets stronger with more processing-power and it will be harder to attack.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 11:12:55 PM

I know that even asking this question may seem like heresy, but I'm curious. I think it's a fair question, the BTC community is mostly miners at this point, and press will inevitably bring more miners into the system.  How does everybody feel about it?

Who says the BTC community is mostly miners?

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
spenvo (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2011, 11:14:36 PM

Will edit based on feedback.

www.SpreadtheCoin.com - Free Printable Bitcoin Certificates.  A Transparent Company.

www.BitcoinBulletin.com - Reviews and Interviews.
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 11:19:02 PM

I'm new to the whole thing, but I would think that higher demand with a limited supply is ultimately a goal of Bitcoin users, especially the early adopters. While you may not be generating coins as quickly, the coins you do have are worth much more. It also gets us to the point where we can redeem them for a wider range of products and services.
we6jbo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 11:49:44 PM

Mining is inevitable and rather than fear it we should embrace mining. One way that I think this could be done is by bringing the privilege of mining to the casual computer user who will make an investment to Bitcoin.
ryepdx

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 11:44:11 PM

I'm curious. I think it's a fair question, there are plenty of miners in BTC community at this point, and press will inevitably bring more miners into the system.  How does everybody feel about it?

I'm fine with it. Builds a stronger network for us. There's a 21 million bitcoin limit on the whole economy, so no matter how quickly the coins enter, they're all going to enter at some point. More miners, I would assume, would indicate more users. More users means a stronger economy.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 12, 2011, 12:15:45 PM

Every miner most likely tells a few friends about their new endeavors. I know I did.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: