Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:52:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Video introducing Ethereum  (Read 2464 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 07:14:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5FDvzj8YX4

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:41:11 AM

Watched all 9.50 Smiley

1) Ethereum is totally awesome name
2) Charles - you are totally awesome. Clearly very excited about the project but explain it in a very cool, laid-back way Smiley
3) Great concept!!!

All I would say is people tend to get very lost on new concepts, especially such game-changing ones. To get people really on-board, they need to see real-world examples.

I understand you've probably just finished the backbone coding, but your concept will only become really accessible once you have some real-life uses in play, some real contracts getting implemented and used.

I'll be watching this for project for sure, though. You have a great concept and it seems like a fantastic team.

Keep us up to date .... do you have a website or is that too old-fashioned?  Grin
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:57:34 AM

Watched all 9.50 Smiley

2) Charles - you are totally awesome. Clearly very excited about the project but explain it in a very cool, laid-back way Smiley
3) Great concept!!!

All I would say is people tend to get very lost on new concepts, especially such game-changing ones. To get people really on-board, they need to see real-world examples.

I understand you've probably just finished the backbone coding, but your concept will only become really accessible once you have some real-life uses in play, some real contracts getting implemented and used.

I'll be watching this for project for sure, though. You have a great concept and it seems like a fantastic team.

Keep us up to date .... do you have a website or is that too old-fashioned?  Grin

Are you sure you watched the whole thing?  Website address is at the end Tongue

http://ethereum.org/
zunath

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:19:50 AM

Why are you introducing a new coin and new network instead of building upon the existing frameworks?
lucaso

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:31:05 AM

It looks like a nice experiment but I feel this is just additional noise in "industry".

I watched video, I read your website, even technical paper but still I didn't saw anything revolutionary or interesting.

I'm developer and ofc block chain is nice idea, but how the hell is it helpful for developer work?

You are starting crowdfunding in 6 days, but I just don't feel or can find any reason why someone should back you (other than sympathy).

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not doing here any "hate-activity" - I just can't understand REAL value and maybe I should, because maybe others will feel somehow same.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:43:18 AM

Watched all 9.50 Smiley

3) Great concept!!!

Are you sure you watched the whole thing?  Website address is at the end Tongue

http://ethereum.org/

Yes i watched  the whole thing .... maybe skipped the last 10 seconds as it was winding down - thanks for the URL Smiley
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:44:10 AM

Why are you introducing a new coin and new network instead of building upon the existing frameworks?

Did you watch the video?
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 05:50:46 PM

some simple questions:

1. There is only one Blockchain (i assume) - how many units?

2. Who owns this Blockchain ? Goldman sachs ?

3. How will it be distributed ?

until these are answered.

I don't care if you can load an icecream taco on the blockchain and make it shit out money, if the people don’t own the Blockchain its loser, Tell Goldman not to waste the money they pilfered from taxpayers -

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:13:50 AM

I've just read in another thread that Goldman Sachs are backing this venture. Is this true?
anderl

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:37:05 AM

My first and only question.  Will the full source be open?  Otherwise I am not interested.
RenegadeMind
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 09:14:58 AM

I've just read in another thread that Goldman Sachs are backing this venture. Is this true?

AFAIK, that's just disinfo.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:30:07 AM

AFAIK, that's just disinfo.

Cool. Let's wait to hear what Charles has to say ....
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 01:11:28 PM

Goldman Sachs is not involved in our venture. We did not solicit them for investment, the company is not assisting us in any way.

We have two quantitative analysts on our team who both have a diverse background off and on wall street including both working for Goldman sachs at some point in their careers. Dr. Costa lives in Asia at the moment and runs an independent hedge fund and Joseph lupin has most recently been involved in the music industry in Jamaica. 

The blockchain is owned by those who participate in the fundraiser and those receiving the early stakeholders premine. Let me be clear: No Bank, No financial entity including Goldman Sachs has been allocated any amount of the premine. If they want a chunk then they have to buy it once the fundraiser starts like everyone else.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:19:36 PM

Goldman Sachs is not involved in our venture. We did not solicit them for investment, the company is not assisting us in any way.

We have two quantitative analysts on our team who both have a diverse background off and on wall street including both working for Goldman sachs at some point in their careers. Dr. Costa lives in Asia at the moment and runs an independent hedge fund and Joseph lupin has most recently been involved in the music industry in Jamaica. 

The blockchain is owned by those who participate in the fundraiser and those receiving the early stakeholders premine. Let me be clear: No Bank, No financial entity including Goldman Sachs has been allocated any amount of the premine. If they want a chunk then they have to buy it once the fundraiser starts like everyone else.

Thank you for the clarification, although the link from "Goldman Sachs" to your current "team" is a concern. Not everything in the bitcoin world is transparent, indeed it rarely is.

Can you further clarify the legal setup of your organization at the current time? Or you a private company? Something else?
gutshot5820

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:40:46 PM

People should be aware that this entity is attempting to raise 36 Million even before the launch of the coin through a pre-sale and that they are pre-mining 50% of the coin before launch...all for a software that will be cloned instantly after launch.  Also, since they are trying to crowdfundraise they need to by law register and file the proper paperwork with the SEC and agencies in Canada and whatever countries they are doing business in.  So far all they have is a youtube video and a few message boards and they want to become millionaires and extract 36 million dollars from the Bitcoin community all before even launching. 

Yes, thats right 36 million in crowdfundraising from the bitcoin community plus 50% pre-mine and all they have so far is a youtube video.  No transparency , no bonds, no insurance, no background checks, nothing.  Anytime an entity tries to raise any amount of money they must file the proper paperwork with complete certified financials, background on principle owners and officers, business plan, competition risk, etc.. This is to prevent fraud.  None of this has been done and they are asking for 36 million before launch in untraceable bitcoin money.

If you like the technology, don't buy into their pre-sale that is just dumb and rewarding these guys for doing nothing and basically turning them into millionaires before launch.  They are basically leaving the entire risk on the Bitcoin community.  They have nothing invested into this project yet and they want to get PAID before it even starts.  They are asking  you to GIVE them 30,000 Bitcoins before it even launches.  I say frack them.  Let them earn their money like all the other devs.  Buy it aftermarket.  They are going to dump a lot of 50% pre-mined coins aftermarket when they realize there is not enough people dumb enough to give them 30,000 Bitcoins and 50% pre-mine before the damn thing even launches.

These guys have ZERO risk and want to be millionaires before it even launches.  They are asking for 30,000 Bitcoins from you.  PLUS 50% pre-mine, PLUS huge salary. Insane and all for open source software that will be copied one hundred times after launch.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:45:41 PM

People should be aware that this entity is attempting to raise 36 Million even before the launch of the coin through a pre-sale and that they are pre-mining 50% of the coin before launch...all for a software that will be cloned instantly after launch.  Also, since they are trying to crowdfundraise they need to by law register and file the proper paperwork with the SEC and agencies in Canada and whatever countries they are doing business in.  So far all they have is a youtube video and a few message boards and they want to become millionaires and extract 36 million dollars from the Bitcoin community all before even launching. 

Yes, thats right 36 million in crowdfundraising from the bitcoin community plus 50% pre-mine and all they have so far is a youtube video.  No transparency , no bonds, no insurance, no background checks, nothing.  Anytime an entity tries to raise any amount of money they must file the proper paperwork with complete certified financials, background on principle owners and officers, business plan, competition risk, etc.. This is to prevent fraud.  None of this has been done and they are asking for 36 million before launch in untraceable bitcoin money.

If you like the technology, don't buy into their pre-sale that is just dumb and rewarding these guys for doing nothing and basically turning them into millionaires before launch.  They are basically leaving the entire risk on the Bitcoin community.  They have nothing invested into this project yet and they want to get PAID before it even starts.  They are asking  you to GIVE them 30,000 Bitcoins before it even launches.  I say frack them.  Let them earn their money like all the other devs.  Buy it aftermarket.  They are going to dump a lot of 50% pre-mined coins aftermarket when they realize there is not enough people dumb enough to give them 30,000 Bitcoins and 50% pre-mine before the damn thing even launches.

These guys have ZERO risk and want to be millionaires before it even launches.  They are asking for 30,000 Bitcoins from you.  PLUS 50% pre-mine, PLUS huge salary. Insane and all for open source software that will be copied one hundred times after launch.

In that case, it will be an epic fail, however slick the video Smiley
hasar

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:52:53 PM

Goldman Sacks? Are you kidding me?

I AM A DNOTES FANS THE COIN ABOVE ALL OTHERS.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:26:30 PM

Goldman Sacks? Are you kidding me?

Why wouldn't they back a new coin to usurp bitcoin? That's not how you spell it by the way Wink
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:36:06 PM

OK, fair enough. I believe you that Goldman Sachs isn't involved. I was so intrigued by the idea watching the video. But never once did the video mention the "early stakeholder premine" - just the little details you leave out in your sales pitch  ...... you get your programming geek to waffle on long enough about the benefits, and your slick, almost Apple like presentation was very compelling, but I'm afraid the "lack of disclosure" about who benefits from this new amazing technology has killed the idea for me.

Notice how in your video how the first headline is "how did you first get involved in bitcoin", the implication being that idea is somehow connected with building on bitcoin, when it turns out its not at all ....

Very slick, but to me, totally misleading. I'm out. Best of luck persuading others that building a new blockchain is better than building on top of something that has proven to work i.e bitcoin.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 05:09:31 PM

I've had a lot of confused members of the Quark community asking why the 50% pre-mine

considering that there will only be one Block-chain and you plan to "lay" lots of relevant stuff on this single BC.

that (if you are successful) makes this single BC apparently very valuable and important , so the Quark community wants to make a Public appeal:

We contest that you change your distribution system to PoW and our 6 hash algorithm.

people generally accept a 1%   Pre-mine for the "founders".

but if the single block chain is so innovative and important , we appeal to your humanity and say give everyone a chance to acquire it .

using a full CPU algo - anyone can rent a VPS , we have found this system to be very useful / equitable.

if you are going ahead with the  50% pre-mine , can you explain the ideas around that ?

or add any other thoughts around how a better distribution might occur ?

you see educated Crypto people are saying to me that this looks like a kind of "banker" Shell game where there is only one Block-chain but its pre-mined , then you shift the colorful cups around and say people can "make their own " Crypto   on your Block-chain.

nope, people can make their own crypto and it will have nothing to do with this shell game that looks a lot like a typical "banker" scam .

all those crypto will have their own Block-chain  .

but good luck anyhow !

Change the distribution and prove to people this is not a scam ?

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: