Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 10:48:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU positioning  (Read 645 times)
Starscream (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:15:49 PM

Why are all GPUs in various mining rigs are positioned vertically with their fans blowing onto one another? Won't it be better if the fans would blow upwards? Or at the very least tilted 45 degrees upwards?
sesko

Activity: 403

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:22:00 PM

cca 15cm width of each card, add another 5cm for riser. 5 cards and you got 1m. Than you got problem with length of risers and having long enough wires from psu to cards. Longer wires, more resistance.

You can stack 10 card vertically in 1m, with more than enough space to cool them down.
sighle

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:20:43 PM

They are designed for that orientation. The fans on the outside of GPUs blow down towards the board, not up towards the adjacent cards.

My setup has only about 1.25 to 1.5 inches between cards and I have no heat issues whatsoever.

The exhaust comes out the sides of the assembly, like this:

[DOGE]: D6EBXikfCaPqcEJULsR2qzrLWyGBdYEwGv
[LTC]: LbPrmVGKnVhn6G8FFGFdthPyP1tjFucZHu
BTC: 1JpJ4tTM2ZCCLQf1jAnTmQbKMq7LGbrmQG
Starscream (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:56:20 AM

They are designed for that orientation. The fans on the outside of GPUs blow down towards the board, not up towards the adjacent cards.

My setup has only about 1.25 to 1.5 inches between cards and I have no heat issues whatsoever.

That was an informative image, thanks.
So how come when you put your hand close to the fan you can feel the hot air blowing out of it, adjacent to the cards rather than from it's sides?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:05:17 AM

That was an informative image, thanks.
So how come when you put your hand close to the fan you can feel the hot air blowing out of it, adjacent to the cards rather than from it's sides?
Generally, only old cards are designed that way. It's not in common practice anymore, AFAIK. Blowing hot air out the sides of the card seems kind of dumb, too, but maybe I'm just missing something. You want the hottest air out of the case ASAP, not blowing around inside the case, so most card manufacturers have the fans exhausting out the PCI slot. By having the fans "reversed," you get the added benefit of pulling hot air off the rear side of the card below it, quickly expelling it out of the case and possibly cooling its VRM a little extra bit.

ETA: there's probably a way to reverse which way your fan's spinning.... you could probably just reverse the wiring on the fan's power cable, assuming it plugs into a socket on the graphics card. Maybe dangerous.
prolom

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:06:15 AM

I think from the point of view of air circulation and cooling GPU mining rigs make no sense. It's just a ghetto setup using whatever's available. The hardware is designed to fit into an ATX case with it's own air flow.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: