Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:31:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Emergency Advice Please!!  (Read 993 times)
mx19 (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:34:53 PM

So I went to check my miner online and noticed it had been offline for 45 minutes, i went to start it again and could smell burning, turned it on and the first gpu caught fire with like a torch like flame where the power connectors are attached!!! Has anyone heard of this? Why might it have happened?!

We are running 4 gigabyte7970's at around 75c and 673kh/s each In an open custom built frame. All the GPU's are on non-powered risers, could this have been an issue? we have a 1500watt psu running them.

Please could i have some advice, this is pretty scary as i also live on the 66th floor of a high rise building and it could have taken the whole thing down!!

MEC:MKYwj7LzzEtRx3VFRzB4aHFhbKPUfm2ZKu  -  QRK:QfNBBJdzZCTS96mmN2VquHftPSygV2udAp  
EAC:eSvt8Dnjm9tXE6tYN5w7LTxQ2bjWiA89z9  -  NOBL:9fqVJPV4fm8Tmtp4dXawWirFj69rDnmjsa
Starscream

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:48:51 PM

So I went to check my miner online and noticed it had been offline for 45 minutes, i went to start it again and could smell burning, turned it on and the first gpu caught fire with like a torch like flame where the power connectors are attached!!! Has anyone heard of this? Why might it have happened?!

We are running 4 gigabyte7970's at around 75c and 673kh/s each In an open custom built frame. All the GPU's are on non-powered risers, could this have been an issue? we have a 1500watt psu running them.

Please could i have some advice, this is pretty scary as i also live on the 66th floor of a high rise building and it could have taken the whole thing down!!

Well, first off, let me reassure you that your rig on fire wouldn't take the whole building down ( I think  Wink )

Second, as for the cause of the fire, there could be numerous reason for it, from which the most likely one is that your VRAMs overheated, as those can run very hot. Could also be a simple manufacturing defect, in which case you just got unlucky. I hope you still got warranty.

As far as the risers go, I doubt those are at fault since if it was an issue with non powered risers than your motherboard would have fried, or the pcie connectors, but not the GPU.
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:00:50 PM

This can happen if you use molex to get 3 or 4 port power cords. Otherwise it could just be a manufacturing defect.
Caiapfas

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:03:55 PM

let's see pictures. sounds amazing! Tongue

If you liked my post or found anything I said useful send some coffee change to
BTC = 3LxtsmCjRDPD6oYYwz31dwFJW9ktUy1Yuz
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:47:19 PM

my msi 7950 windforce caught fire once. Its due to a shitty VRM design. RMA'd that card right away. 3 year warranty. Life is good.
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:51:42 AM

pics?

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:03:33 AM

Did you undervolt the cards?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 01:14:23 AM

Lack of powered risers most likley.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
AtlantisPlatform

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:37:16 AM

Lack of powered risers most likley.

My $.02.

Guaranteed it had NOTHING to do with non powered or powered risers.  People just do not understand these damn risers and what function the powered part plays in the whole scheme of things. Of all the things that may have caused the fire, risers played 0 part in it.

Wink
mx19 (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:24:50 PM

No i haven't undervolted the cards at all, Will this have played a part?

On further inspection it looks like it it the VRM closest to the power connectors that has burnt...

MEC:MKYwj7LzzEtRx3VFRzB4aHFhbKPUfm2ZKu  -  QRK:QfNBBJdzZCTS96mmN2VquHftPSygV2udAp  
EAC:eSvt8Dnjm9tXE6tYN5w7LTxQ2bjWiA89z9  -  NOBL:9fqVJPV4fm8Tmtp4dXawWirFj69rDnmjsa
bjalbert

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:49:59 PM

Maybe dust went up in flames? I once had a soda fall through the top of my antec 1200 case and man I never smelt destruction like that before. Video card still stinks of blown capacitors and whatnot.
mx19 (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:17:37 PM

It is actually exactly the same as in this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=235112.new#new But they never said why it was caused... i have 4 of these and would love to stop it happening on another...

Wipeout2097

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:48:22 PM

No i haven't undervolted the cards at all, Will this have played a part?

On further inspection it looks like it it the VRM closest to the power connectors that has burnt...
Indeed it did play a part. Undervolt them now. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/vbe7-vbios-editor-for-radeon-hd-7000-series-cards.189089/

Look at the temperatures with GPU-z

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
bjalbert

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:31:07 PM

I got 3 cards running hot and haven't seen it. But 80C=176F and that is at the sensor. I can see fine dust going boom kinda like a mining explosion no pun intended.
mx19 (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:47:09 PM

I have been trying to flash the bios with lower voltages, but they dont seem to work, do you have any idea what voltage selection i should be using?

Wipeout2097

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:04:50 PM

I have been trying to flash the bios with lower voltages, but they dont seem to work, do you have any idea what voltage selection i should be using?
1080 mV as starting point, but some chips can go as low as 950 mV. For example

1075 mV -> 1100 Mhz
1050 mV -> 1050 Mhz
1020 mV -> 1000 Mhz
980 mV -> 950 Mhz

Currently I have:

7870XT: Tahiti LE : 0.95V -> 1000 Mhz
R9-270:Pitcairn: 1.05V -> 1100 Mhz
7970: Tahiti: 1.05V -> 1030 Mhz (too high voltage, but needed for MemoryCoin and VertCoin)
6950: Cayman: 1.1V -> 900 Mhz

Of course, the lower voltage you can reach for the particular core clock that maximizes hash rate, the better

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██