Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 05:14:55 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple's Mac at 30: still going strong despite 'post-PC' strategic shift  (Read 492 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:54:33 PM

Apple's Mac at 30: still going strong despite 'post-PC' strategic shift

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/24/apple-mac-ipad-30th-birthday

"Desktop and laptop computers now minor portion of company's revenues, but still totemic part of its identity."
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:02:29 PM

Apple's Mac at 30: still going strong despite 'post-PC' strategic shift

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/24/apple-mac-ipad-30th-birthday

"Desktop and laptop computers now minor portion of company's revenues, but still totemic part of its identity."

They make a fortune from iPhone, iPad and iPods, along with all the accessories etc. I remember playing around on an Apple Mac while I was waiting around at a University as a kid - that must have been around '94 or so.

Frost000

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:55:33 PM

I converted from PC to Mac over 10 years ago and I'm definitely not going back...

It might not represent as big of a source as revenue as before, but I still love their laptops. They might be a little overpriced but I definitely don't complain about my laptop the same way others complain about their PCs.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:25:56 PM

I converted from PC to Mac over 10 years ago and I'm definitely not going back...

It might not represent as big of a source as revenue as before, but I still love their laptops. They might be a little overpriced but I definitely don't complain about my laptop the same way others complain about their PCs.

I hear you. I'm not an Apple fanboy, I won't rush out for the latest gear, or force through an upgrade of my phone. But I work as a developer and the stuff I do is a pleasure on a Macbook Pro, in comparison to a Windows machine.

Also the quality of the product is great - priced highly, sure, but it is one of the few brands that produce such a high quality finish.

Frost000

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:17:35 PM

I hear you. I'm not an Apple fanboy, I won't rush out for the latest gear, or force through an upgrade of my phone. But I work as a developer and the stuff I do is a pleasure on a Macbook Pro, in comparison to a Windows machine.

Also the quality of the product is great - priced highly, sure, but it is one of the few brands that produce such a high quality finish.

Exactly. I'm not a fanboy either and don't rush out t get the latest crap. I will actually be selling my iPad soon since I don't use it enough to warrant having it. I otherwise only use a Macbook Pro, though I'll be switching to an Air before the summer since this one's about 4 years old.

Consistent quality and every time I go to the Apple Store with a laptop problem, they help me without eye gouging my wallet.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:38:06 AM

Consistent quality and every time I go to the Apple Store with a laptop problem, they help me without eye gouging my wallet.

Woah? Problem with an Apple product? Does not compute...

Only kidding.

That's good to hear. I've not had trouble with my Macbook Pros *touch wood*, but when my iMac Hard Drive died I just sold it on eBay - couldn't be arsed with the faff.

The next laptop I buy HAS to have an SSD. Those Macbook Pro Retinas (with SSD) look pretty darn sexy. Again, the build quality etc will make it last for years. In fact, I would say that the most limiting factor to the lifetime of an Apple product to a particular owner is the owner wanting to upgrade as soon as a new model is released lol.

Frost000

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 02:39:41 PM

The next laptop I buy HAS to have an SSD. Those Macbook Pro Retinas (with SSD) look pretty darn sexy. Again, the build quality etc will make it last for years. In fact, I would say that the most limiting factor to the lifetime of an Apple product to a particular owner is the owner wanting to upgrade as soon as a new model is released lol.

Yup, that's definitely been the source of temptation to upgrade for me. I've resisted so far, though...

My girlfriend's Macbook Air has me convinced it'll be the next one for me... Love that machine!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: