Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:52:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Major companies accepting BTC will ultimately drive prices down?  (Read 2580 times)
Maidak (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:41:33 PM

Just a thought if all the bitcoin hoarders can now buy their nice nerd pod equipment from tigerdirect.com and lingerie for said girlfriend or wife with bitcoins. Wont we see alot of liquidation daily from these companies which will slowly crash prices? Not sure if anyone has posted this and apologies if it has. It just now occurred me is is all I'd like to know how you all feel about it.

I wonder what the sales volume for tigerdirect.com is daily. Whos processing the payments for them and overstock.com ? Shed some light on this topic for me I'm not ready to panic sell yet! Wink

Shit... Now saying that makes me realize forget mining btc I think i'll just start processing btc payments now.

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
s_s

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:53:42 PM

My guess is that we will continue to see cycles in the value of bitcoin up and down...but they will happen over progressively longer time cycles...that's probably a very "good" thing for the eco-system.

I mean it is kind of amusing...there were people predicting that there would be very slow adoption my merchants because no one would ever want to be spending their bitcoins because it was better to just hold onto them and see them increase in value tomorrow.

Now there is the fear/potential that there will be some dip in value because of the reasons you suggest. The net effect of that in my mind is that yes...some pent up "paper-wealth" of some early adopters will get spent because it may be in a current trend slowly to sightly lower values.

But...in the long run that will only encourage MORE merchant adoption...and thus MORE public interest as a means of payment...and bolster value.

I wouldn't sell if I were you...
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:09:01 PM

When I raised the same issue about a month ago, the uber-bulls laughed at me. Short term this is bearish.
HODLers will only spend their bitcoins when the price is close to an ATH, but there is a clear downtrend, which is about now too.
When the price will drop further, there will be no incentive to spend bitcoins, because they'll have to buy them back with fiat.
So they'll just spend their fiat instead, unless they are altruistic and want to truly broaden the usage of bitcoin.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:34:55 PM

If enough of them accept bitcoin payments, then they will be able to pay each other directly with bitcoins, which will eliminate the need to cash out the coins on exchanges. Currently merchants have to cash out bitcoin on exchanges, but that is a temporary hassle

Tzupy
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:27:41 AM

If enough of them accept bitcoin payments, then they will be able to pay each other directly with bitcoins, which will eliminate the need to cash out the coins on exchanges. Currently merchants have to cash out bitcoin on exchanges, but that is a temporary hassle

AFAIK companies paying each other with bitcoins would be against the law, at least in some countries.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:55:10 AM

I have wondered about this too, if major companies are bringing in a lot of bitcoin transactions and immediately selling back to local currency. That seemingly would present potentially more supply than demand..
lucaso

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:45:34 AM

It depends. More transaction volume that will be ecommerce specific will cause a bigger demand of BitCoins to be available on exchanges, but there is also problem with currently not-used bitcoins. There are many BitCoin owners who don't want spend their coins in exchanges, but will be more eager to do it on ordinary shopping.

BitCoin have problems with liquidity and volatility so price behaviour can go really crazy.

Still this trend is good for BitCoin owners and BitCoin in general because "value" will stay longer in BitCoin network - thanks to that price should be more stable. 
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:55:12 AM

The liquidity and volatility problems are because the exchanges are not cross-linked.  Once bitfinex and bitstamp got their interchange terms worked out, bitstamp/bitfinex volatility dropped like a rock, and liquidity on both sides doubled.  MtGox is an illusion. 

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Maidak (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:37:02 AM

Oh i'm a holder and a long term one but dont get me wrong I love getting myself a cool toy here and their and bragging about how btc purchased it. It was just one of those things I didnt really think about my buddy told me tigerdirect is accepting bitcoins an i'm just like yeah!! buying a new LTC/gaming rig then realized about how many other bitcoiners were thinking the same thing. I would love to know how many sales in BTC they actually got though in first 24 hours of release.

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:49:26 AM

Just a thought if all the bitcoin hoarders can now buy their nice nerd pod equipment from tigerdirect.com and lingerie for said girlfriend or wife with bitcoins. Wont we see alot of liquidation daily from these companies which will slowly crash prices? Not sure if anyone has posted this and apologies if it has. It just now occurred me is is all I'd like to know how you all feel about it.

What you say is true, but you are overlooking the fact that as more stores accept bitcoins, adoption will increase. In addition, I don't think that savers will spend all of their bitcoins, and as adoption increases, so will saving.

Anyway, it is possible that prices will drop. Perhaps this is why the exchange rate has been dropping ever since Overstock.com started accepting.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:59:34 AM

Anyone that is a long term holder and cares about the bitcoin economy should consider a strategy of spend and replenish.

Or really, any rational person reading this.

It is super simple:  make as many purchases as possible with bitcoin, and immediately buy your bitcoins back with fiat.  ( using eg coinbase or your preferred exchange method. )   You do not face any exchange risk because you are buying the bitcoin at the same time you spend.

This way you are effectively spending your fiat cash and keeping your btc holdings intact, however each purchase is a vote for bitcoin to the merchant instead of a vote for fiat.

Also, you are increasing the velocity of money in the bitcoin economy, which stimulates growth.

This is the win-win strategy.    rational self interest.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:03:08 AM

Anyone that is a long term holder and cares about the bitcoin economy should consider a strategy of spend and replenish.

It is super simple:  make as many purchases as possible with bitcoin, and immediately buy your bitcoins back with fiat.  ( using eg coinbase or your preferred exchange method. )   You do not face any exchange risk because you are buying the bitcoin at the same time you spend.

This way you are effectively spending your fiat cash and keeping your btc holdings intact, however each purchase is a vote for bitcoin to the merchant instead of a vote for fiat.

Also, you are increasing the velocity of money in the bitcoin economy, which stimulates growth.

I do agree with that, kind of "yo-yo" hodler

Also reminds me
"The government should pay people to dig holes in the ground and then fill them up."

The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money, John Maynard Keynes.
Book 3, Chapter 10, Section 6 pg.129
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_Theory_of_Employment,_Interest_and_Money

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Tzupy
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 08:35:37 PM

I'm not an early adopter, but I'll try to think like one. If I would have bought bitcoins under 20$ during 2012,
and now I had the opportunity to spend some for luxury items, would I spend extra fiat to replenish my stash?
No I wouldn't, I would wait for the start of a major price drop, sell a lot of coins and buy back more coins at a lower price.
For me (thinking as an early adopter) it would be difficult to spend 800+ $ on a bitcoin that I bought below 20$.
As for very early adopters, who bought below 5$, and together are holding millions of bitcoins, why would they buy more coins with new fiat?
They can manipulate the market, they get both more fiat (some cashed out) from late adopters and more coins when they buy back cheaper.

jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:13:54 PM

At the cost of "generating" fees for miners, coinbase/bitpay, and possibly your bank. (I estimate somewhere around 2-5%, accounting for spread and all).

Yes it's noble, but not a free lunch.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
CoinHeavy

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:53:51 PM

Most large businesses accepting bitcoin are converting the bitcoin their customers spend into fiat at the time of each transaction through their payment processors.  The premise of large stashes being accumulated and then being dumped is probably not worth worrying about at the moment.  This also would not be in the interest of the companies themselves, who employ folks savvy to such market dynamics.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:43:13 PM

I'm not an early adopter, but I'll try to think like one. If I would have bought bitcoins under 20$ during 2012,
and now I had the opportunity to spend some for luxury items, would I spend extra fiat to replenish my stash?
No I wouldn't, I would wait for the start of a major price drop, sell a lot of coins and buy back more coins at a lower price.
For me (thinking as an early adopter) it would be difficult to spend 800+ $ on a bitcoin that I bought below 20$.
As for very early adopters, who bought below 5$, and together are holding millions of bitcoins, why would they buy more coins with new fiat?
They can manipulate the market, they get both more fiat (some cashed out) from late adopters and more coins when they buy back cheaper.

I believe most people holding large amounts of coins and sitting on large gains are following disciplined divestment strategies.  They are constantly selling as the price goes up (and/or over time) in order to diversify their portfolio (otherwise you quickly end up with 90% of your assets in bitcoins, which is high-risk for even the most ardent bull).  If they spend $1000 on some luxury item, then it's just $1000 worth of bitcoins that don't get sold at BitStamp. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 02:27:07 AM

To the OP: Any action in the market moves the prices, the price is the result of a trade. All trades require two goods, what is sold and what is bought. In indirect trade, money is always one of the goods traded. Therefore, When you buy something for money, the other party buys the money for something. So, when you buy something for money, you marginally move the price of the good upwards, and the price of the money downwards. On the other hand, the other party who wants the money more than the good, move both in the other direction.

The only demand for money is reservation demand. So if someone who likes to hold money, eventually sells the money to someone, and that someone has a low reservation demand for them, the price of the money goes down.

That is what is suspected here, some holder sells his money to tigerdirect.com, who doesn't really want them and therefore immediately rids themselves of it.

But eventually, the bitcoins will end up with another holder. Therefore it is only the total demand to hold bitcoins that decides their value.

jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:21:54 AM

Seems like merchants could offer some sort of added bonus when paying with BTC, like 5% off purchases or free shipping when using BTC to encourage use. That would boost sales and seemingly be a way to boost the value of each BTC in the process. That would give people an incentive to acquire and use btc
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:27:19 AM

Shit... Now saying that makes me realize forget mining btc I think i'll just start processing btc payments now.
Mining IS processing payments, thats what mining is for.
But the revenue from transaction fees is actually shrinking, below 25BTC per day in January except for one day where it was 30BTC.
Kinda weird, Overstock and now Tiger-Direct and still basicly nobody seems to actually use BTC to buy stuff ...
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:16:17 AM

Most large businesses accepting bitcoin are converting the bitcoin their customers spend into fiat at the time of each transaction through their payment processors.  The premise of large stashes being accumulated and then being dumped is probably not worth worrying about at the moment.  This also would not be in the interest of the companies themselves, who employ folks savvy to such market dynamics.

Thats the point though, the large businesses "accepting" bitcoins are just using a bitcoin denominated payment processor, who take the payment in BTC and give the business $.  The payment processors are then disposing of those bitcoin daily.  This is creating a selling pressure on bitcoin what ever way you cut it.  It may be small (and I dont believe there is a lot of volume going on here) but it would potentially push prices down, unless people are buying up those bitcoins at the same rate.  Until business actually accept and hold bitcoin directly, this will be the case.

[...]Kinda weird, Overstock and now Tiger-Direct and still basicly nobody seems to actually use BTC to buy stuff ...

Why would you when bitcoin is going to the moon next week/month/year?  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: