Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:53:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would a fake transaction look like?  (Read 1005 times)
panda9228 (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:51:00 PM

What I mean is, I've heard it's possible to pretend to send bitcoins so it shows up on the blockchain as unconfirmed.  How easy is to do this?  What would it look like on the blockchain... just a transaction that never gets confirmed or what?

I'm just wondering if it means anything when I buy a bitcoin from someone and it "shows up" in my wallet immediately without confirmations.  Is that any evidence that they actually sent real bitcoins or could those easily be faked?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:53:35 PM

All transactions "show up" in your wallet as unconfirmed. This does not mean it was a fake payment. All transactions start out as unconfirmed ones...
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:58:41 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 12:21:09 AM by yogi

What I mean is, I've heard it's possible to pretend to send bitcoins so it shows up on the blockchain as unconfirmed.  How easy is to do this?  What would it look like on the blockchain... just a transaction that never gets confirmed or what?

I'm just wondering if it means anything when I buy a bitcoin from someone and it "shows up" in my wallet immediately without confirmations.  Is that any evidence that they actually sent real bitcoins or could those easily be faked?

Essentially you need to send the same bitcoins twice, once to the address you want to create a fake transaction to, and the other to another address of yours. The time between the transaction must be short and you must make the real transaction more desirable to the miners than the fake one, this is achieved by giving the real transaction a high transaction fee. But as said, the window of opportunity is small.

Take a look at;

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Double-spending

Edit/

You could also use block withholding, if you had some computational grunt at your disposal. But the window of opportunity is still small.

Edit/ Edit/

Sending a transaction without a fee will work sometimes especially if it's a large number of bytes and/or low priority. The transaction will never be included in a block and will read as unconfirmed until the memory pool is flushed.

byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:16:02 PM

What I mean is, I've heard it's possible to pretend to send bitcoins so it shows up on the blockchain as unconfirmed.  How easy is to do this?  What would it look like on the blockchain... just a transaction that never gets confirmed or what?

I'm just wondering if it means anything when I buy a bitcoin from someone and it "shows up" in my wallet immediately without confirmations.  Is that any evidence that they actually sent real bitcoins or could those easily be faked?

Essentially you need to send the same bitcoins twice, once to the address you want to create a fake transaction to, and the other to another address of yours. The time between the transaction must be short and you must make the real transaction more desirable to the miners than the fake one, this is achieved by giving the real transaction a high transaction fee. But as said, the window of opportunity is small.

Take a look at;

Edit/

You could also use block withholding, if you had some computational grunt at your disposal. But the window of opportunity is still small.

He meant double spending? I thought he meant that Unconfirmed Transactions were fake, LOL.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 11:24:22 PM

Take a look at;

Edit/

I'm not a programmer, but I envision a relatively simple program on some handheld device, i.e. smartphone, that would activate when a real transaction takes place at some physical location, i.e. M&B, sending two transactions semi-simultaneously to two different addresses, with the first one with the higher transfer fee (pre-programmed in) winning the race, thus the merchant losing.

Thoughts?

~TMIBTCITW
yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:25:25 PM

Thinking about it some more, sending a transaction without a fee will work sometimes especially if it's a large number of bytes and/or low priority. The transaction will never be included in a block and will read as unconfirmed until the memory pool is flushed.

yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:32:09 PM

I'm not a programmer, but I envision a relatively simple program on some handheld device, i.e. smartphone, that would activate when a real transaction takes place at some physical location, i.e. M&B, sending two transactions semi-simultaneously to two different addresses, with the first one with the higher transfer fee (pre-programmed in) winning the race, thus the merchant losing.

Thoughts?

~TMIBTCITW

Possibly, but it would only work for merchants that process orders instantly with zero conformations and I doubt there are many of those. Also, it would be much simpler to use the method posted above, but then I guess the merchant could check that the transaction has a sufficient fee.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 11:42:49 PM

Thoughts?

~TMIBTCITW

Possibly, but it would only work for merchants that process orders instantly with zero conformations and I doubt there are many of those. Also, it would be much simpler to use the method posted above, but then I guess the merchant could check that the transaction has a sufficient fee.

Ergo, document and exploit the merchants that process orders instantly with zero conformations, albeit there might not be many of those, but then again...
yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:51:16 PM

but then again...

Satoshi Dice

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:05:53 AM

I've heard it's possible to pretend to send bitcoins so it shows up on the blockchain as unconfirmed.

that why the rule of 6 confirmations ... is a rule.
in less than 1h30min now (from 0,2 BTC to 10BTC...)

Since 24/01/14, the network react strange ... (confirmation is more like "4 in less 10min" after 1h of waiting time with 0 confirmations).
But the all 6 confirmations time remainly the same. Cool
panda9228 (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:50:13 AM

Yeah I apologize for my initial post being a bit unclear.  I understand all transactions show up as unconfirmed at first.  I'm just wondering, in practice, how much trust I can put into simply seeing the transaction show up.

Say I'm buying 1 btc and I have reason to trust the person, but only up to 99.5% confidence because you never know.  Does it make sense for me to send half the $$'s, have him send me 0.5 btc, then send him the rest of the $$'s after seeing the initial unconfirmed transfer?  This all occurring within a couple minutes before any confirmations.

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be for an individual to double-spend like that.  If it were super simple, then I shouldn't put much extra weight in seeing the unconfirmed transaction.  But if it were extremely difficult and required a lot of resources, then it might make sense for me to take my chances after seeing the transaction posted.
yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:15:30 AM

It's easy, don't accept zero conformation transactions.

Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:26:23 PM

Since 24/01/14, the network react strange ... (confirmation is more like "4 in less 10min" after 1h of waiting time with 0 confirmations).
But the all 6 confirmations time remainly the same. Cool

Difficulty adjustment happended on 24Jan, and the difficulty went up by 22%.

By the way, block finding is a random process.
"Several blocks in a short period of time / No block in a long period of time" happened from time to time, and is perfectly normal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: