Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 08:24:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Counterparty Desktop GUI Bounty Thread  (Read 1981 times)
cityglut (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:40:40 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 10:08:50 AM by cityglut

The Counterparty team will be paying out a bounty on February 14th, at 00:00 UTC (three weeks from today, midnight on Saint Valentine's Day) for work on a desktop GUI Counterparty client built on top of counterpartyd. The size of the bounty will be the balance of our donation address, 12J1YFvsWHDCU5HNAWNLNy1Q9nZo8Q4Xgs (both BTC and XCP), at the time that the bounty is closed, and the winner(s) will be chosen, thereupon, by a consensus of PhantomPhreak, xnova and myself. N.B. We prefer, but will not require, that clients be cross-platform.

Additional requirement: All submissions must be open sourced and freely licensed by the end of the burn period (but the earlier the better).

For more information about Counterparty, please see the 'Announcement' thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.0
TheMightyX

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:49:15 AM

I would like to offer my services as a graphic designer to any programmers working on this.
I have no coding skills but I can design a sharp GUI with you and also provide feedback on layout design and flow.
led_lcd

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:52:07 AM

The bounty is up to just over 3.2 BTC.

I'm looking forward to seeing the GUI client!
brite_enclave

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:59:20 PM

I've got a good start on a client using Qt (so cross-platform: Windows, OSX, Linux, and even Android with some extra work).  I think I should be able to release a very basic alpha version by the end of the burn period, and definitely have a working beta for the desktop incorporating user feedback by end of the bounty period.  The Android port -- if I pursue that option -- will be on down the road.

I am a little wary about releasing it before the bounty period is over for fear someone else might fork my code base and make a few cosmetic changes that people prefer, and then receive the bounty.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might go ahead and open source the code and yet still protect my potential claim on the bounty?

And again, I'm aiming for the end of the burn period for an initial release -- no promises.  It depends on how much time I'm able to give to this project over the coming week.

My plan is to release under the MIT license, since I believe that's what counterpartyd is under.
PhantomPhreak

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:20:40 PM

I've got a good start on a client using Qt (so cross-platform: Windows, OSX, Linux, and even Android with some extra work).  I think I should be able to release a very basic alpha version by the end of the burn period, and definitely have a working beta for the desktop incorporating user feedback by end of the bounty period.  The Android port -- if I pursue that option -- will be on down the road.

I am a little wary about releasing it before the bounty period is over for fear someone else might fork my code base and make a few cosmetic changes that people prefer, and then receive the bounty.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might go ahead and open source the code and yet still protect my potential claim on the bounty?

And again, I'm aiming for the end of the burn period for an initial release -- no promises.  It depends on how much time I'm able to give to this project over the coming week.

My plan is to release under the MIT license, since I believe that's what counterpartyd is under.

The monetary reward will be proportional to the progress made. If you do most of the work, then you'll receive most of the bounty. If your software is adapted by other developers, you'll get credit for that too.

Additional requirement: All submissions must be open sourced and freely licensed by the end of the burn period (but the earlier the better).
brite_enclave

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:36:08 AM

Great, this information will allow me to move forward with more confidence and devote more time to this project in the coming week.
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:09:08 PM

Great, this information will allow me to move forward with more confidence and devote more time to this project in the coming week.

I'm curious if you are still working on this? I can't wait to have an actual GUI client!

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
l8orre
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:06:47 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 10:49:10 AM by l8orre

Hey Guys, I am interested to have a look at it.

[edit#~39]:

question: which jsonrpc exactly are you using?

PhantomPhreak

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:41:43 PM

Hey Guys, I am interested to have a look at it.

[edit#~39]:

question: which jsonrpc exactly are you using?

json-rpc 1.1
btcfanatic

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:31:57 AM

I will have a working GUI out by Friday. Here is a screenshot of one of the pages in action:

http://i61.tinypic.com/256vkp2.png
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:39:39 AM

I will have a working GUI out by Friday. Here is a screenshot of one of the pages in action:

Damn, why do all these crytpo guis have to look the same lol

kdrop22

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:11:04 PM

Looks nice.
relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:41:21 PM

Nice work! Looking forward to the release Smiley
520Bit

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:23:48 AM

You are doing so far so good. Just let a common person to send and exchange XCP and BTC successfully would be a great progress on counterpartyd and Counterparty system. Normal people get used to working on a GUI other than a command line. Keep up the fantastic working, thanks.
DaFockBro

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:18:09 AM

http://i61.tinypic.com/256vkp2.png

https://i.imgur.com/hShibpU.png

btcfanatic

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 01:32:58 AM

Here is a link to the PyQt-based UI I've been working on.

https://github.com/btcfanatic/xcp-gui

It also bundles in counterpartyd and starts it up automatically on start up, much like the bitcoin app does with bitcoind
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: