Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:25:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 months running miner, zero BTC generated  (Read 3434 times)
ramix (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 01:58:28 AM

I have be doing something wrong. I setup my Ubuntu 10.10 server VM on my i7 box running ESX 4.1, firewall properly configured, block count accurate and double checked, software updated whenever I get to find a new version, and here are my stats:

"version" : 32002,
    "balance" : 0.03000000,
    "blocks" : 112804,
    "connections" : 42,
    "proxy" : "",
    "generate" : true,
    "genproclimit" : -1,
    "difficulty" : 55590.23763914,
    "hashespersec" : 2124078,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1293816129,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "errors" : ""

The VM has a single core allocated, as it's mostly for testing. I got 0.05 BTC from the fountain before it went dry but I really see no movement. Of course I understand a lot of people out there is mining, but I think after 4 months I should see at least a BTC penny...

Any thoughts?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 02:30:09 AM

you'll never see a BTC penny when mining on your own,
you'll either see 50BTC, or none.
if it takes you longer then the next ~100k blocks to create 1 block,
you'll either see 25BTC, or none.

you'll actually only ever see BTC pennies (or anything at your hashrate), if you join a mining-pool.

Kiv

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 02:31:48 AM

From the generation calculator here, you may as well not bother with just an i7. At 2 MHash:

Average   1301 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes

GUIMiner - get started easily mining Bitcoins on your GPU or CPU
Donate to support work on GUIMiner: 1MDDh2h4cAZDafgc94mr9q95dhRYcJbNQo
or YouTipIt
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 03:03:38 AM

From the generation calculator here, you may as well not bother with just an i7. At 2 MHash:

Average   1301 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes

He's only running on one thread on the i7!

Generally CPU mining is worthless; if you REALLY want to do it, join a pool.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
M4v3R

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 07:37:35 AM

You, sir, just wasted a whole lot of electricity for nothing...
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 08:41:07 AM

The CPU mining option should be removed from the default client...
srb123

Activity: 58

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 08:52:21 AM

I left my cpu miner (E8500) going in january by accident, after not generating anything since October. I got 2 blocks in 6 days!

You couldn't even calculate the luck involved in doing that, so I quit while i was 'ahead'.

My advice, cut your loss.
ramix (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 07:56:41 PM

Thanks everybody. This really helps me understand better the reality and current state of the process. As I said, I really did this mostly as a test. My electricity is free any way as I have a fairly large solar installation in my house (more than I need).

I'll start next exploring what I can do using a dedicated computer an a few Tesla cards just for the fun of it. Thanks again!
riX

Activity: 326
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 08:18:09 PM

Thanks everybody. This really helps me understand better the reality and current state of the process. As I said, I really did this mostly as a test. My electricity is free any way as I have a fairly large solar installation in my house (more than I need).

I'll start next exploring what I can do using a dedicated computer an a few Tesla cards just for the fun of it. Thanks again!

If you have free electricity, you could sell it to people who want to put a mining computer at your place.. Easier than to sell your surplus electricity on the energy market, if that's even possible..

Sorry, I can't help you with your lost password.

PGP key: 0x9F31802C79642F25
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2011, 09:10:58 PM

I disagree. Why not make it easy to play the lottery?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
snedie

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 12:02:58 AM

I disagree. Why not make it easy to play the lottery?

Because the lottery is $1 each week to play. An entire PC would be considerably more XD
FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 01:48:56 AM

Because the lottery is $1 each week to play. An entire PC would be considerably more XD
I already own a computer, and it stays on to seeding torrents. With Bitcoin, you play the lottery every ten minutes, and someone will win every ten minutes. In that way, it's more like a raffle than a lottery. I can't imagine that it costs very much to play for anyone who already has a PC that stays on most of the time.

snedie

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 05:22:45 PM

I already own a computer, and it stays on to seeding torrents. With Bitcoin, you play the lottery every ten minutes, and someone will win every ten minutes. In that way, it's more like a raffle than a lottery. I can't imagine that it costs very much to play for anyone who already has a PC that stays on most of the time.

Well the fact an i7 CPU can draw 200Watts suggests otherwsie  Grin. But yes if it's just a small CPU drawing 50Watts I suppose it's a good way to make a little money...probably less than the additional electricity costs though.

Are you aware that all torrents are been tracked btw?

Don't believe me, see the "proof of concept" video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZFXKz2NCPc
Mahkul

Activity: 434

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 05:46:40 PM

Just imagine a 80286 or even an XT machine mining bitcoins and finding a block. Smiley
TenthReality

Activity: 76

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 08:48:24 PM

Just imagine a 80286 or even an XT machine mining bitcoins and finding a block. Smiley

I f'd up and had a virtual machine running on a mid-range P3 that was generating and it found a block, I was beyond impressed. 0.4Kh/s.
FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2011, 12:56:17 AM

Don't believe me, see the "proof of concept" video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZFXKz2NCPc
Meh. It's partly a matter of civil disobedience for me. I see no reason why I must use my senses and my labor according to some "intellectual property" holder's terms instead of my own. If you don't want me to experience your creation, keep it a God damn secret.

snedie

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 10:56:35 AM

Meh. It's partly a matter of civil disobedience for me. I see no reason why I must use my senses and my labor according to some "intellectual property" holder's terms instead of my own. If you don't want me to experience your creation, keep it a God damn secret.

Haha yer, same opinion man. These TB hard drives don't fill themselves  Cool
Anonymous

March 18, 2011, 11:33:59 AM

I wonder when lawyers will start making movies and other content so they can sue the people who download them.....

Entrapment ftw.
snedie

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 12:15:42 PM

I wonder when lawyers will start making movies and other content so they can sue the people who download them.....

Entrapment ftw.

I think I would just pirate that shit for the lulz of pissing them off. If I was ever to go "Down" for it, I'd do it in style "UK man found to have £2m of law firm cinematic materials on computer - sentenced for 500 life times inprisonment)
Pander

Activity: 23

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 09:07:43 PM

Can the calculater be included in the default client? In that way people that start mining know what to expect.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: