Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:05:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014-01-24 - This is What it’s Like to Be a Woman at a Bitcoin Meetup  (Read 9166 times)
C. Bergmann

Activity: 803
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:32:01 AM

Every forum or meet-up prooves a significant part of bitcoin's community lacks experience how to behave in front of a woman.

But the same can be said to a lot of engineering / informatic students. If they grow out of a stupid age most learn to deal with women, and a little part becomes frustrated women-haters.

It's a simple social mechanic. Same as in women-dominated-jobs.

No problem at all. Girls, join the meetups. You'll never felt more pretty Smiley

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███
▀███▄       ▀████▀       ▄███▀
▀█████▄▄            ▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀████▀▀
Gabro███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
WHITEPAPER
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TOKEN SALES
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:08:25 AM

... has anybody said "She was asking for it" yet?

Can't we let this thread die already?

surebet (OP)

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:18:04 AM

Shush, this is a great thread where terrible people out themselves.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:24:46 AM

Definitely getting to see who the awkward geeks are that still worship women because they feel inadequate due to growing up with an overbearing mother.

I'm grumpy!!
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 02:58:03 AM

Why is this thread in press? This should be in politics and society. It has nothing to do with bitcoin aside from someone talking about the way they felt at a bitcoin meetup.

Um because it is an article.... /sigh  ...
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 02:59:13 AM

Yes it was one of the first few follow up posts as expected
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 03:08:01 AM

Definitely getting to see who the awkward geeks are that still worship women because they feel inadequate due to growing up with an overbearing mother.

Agreeing that the leader of a specific bitcoin meetup behaved in a rather dickish and socially inept manner during one specific occasion involving the girl who wrote the blog post is clearly the same thing as "worshipping" women in general and most likely due to psychological damage from a poor relationship with one's mother.  That, or you are a close minded person with low social awareness and a shallow understanding of the world. It's hard to say.

Calling a woman a girl is like me saying to you, "boy go get me a coffee"

Let that all sink in for a few minutes.  If you want this thing to get bigger, it aint gonna happen Animal House style...
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 01:00:06 PM

Calling a woman a girl is like me saying to you, "boy go get me a coffee"

Let that all sink in for a few minutes.  If you want this thing to get bigger, it aint gonna happen Animal House style...

Maybe if you also added the demanding/insulting coffee part to my statement (clearly changing the tone and meaning) , but such an insight requires understanding what makes things equitable and analogous.

That boy don't have a brain...

That girl has a nice ...

get it?

Perhaps you didn't grow up south of the Mason Dixon line...
embracebitcoin

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 04:57:47 PM

well, you can't deny that most women have no interest in it. All women i know including the gf just doesn't want to think about global economics, real reasons why countries are at war, bitcoin etc. Some literally say it like that, "I just don't want to think about that stuff". A bit like 'ignorance is bliss'. Majority of women is like that, so when she says they were surprised she actually had interest and knowledge about it, that's completely logical, I'd be surprised too.

The guy creepily touching her, well that's just bad luck she had to be standing next to someone like that.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:05:48 PM

That includes not behaving like cavemen just because a woman wears a dress.

Thank you.

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:39:08 PM

Most of you are terrible people.

You, sir, have what is probably the most annoying avatar I have ever seen.  Well played.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
surebet (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:56:46 AM

Most of you are terrible people.

You, sir, have what is probably the most annoying avatar I have ever seen.  Well played.

It was my celebratory avatar after the last hack, however I'm stuck with it now. Heh, could be worse.
Ripdon007

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 03:14:55 AM

I was at a local meetup not too long ago and had around 40 people present and 1 Woman/Girl... I felt sorry for her.. I think she was a tourist from Germany with her brother or boyfriend... i couldn't really tell lol

I mine my bitcoins at https://www.directpool.net ### I get my bitcoin news fix at https://coinreport.net
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:25:20 PM

well, you can't deny that most women have no interest in it. All women i know including the gf just doesn't want to think about global economics, real reasons why countries are at war, bitcoin etc. Some literally say it like that, "I just don't want to think about that stuff". A bit like 'ignorance is bliss'. Majority of women is like that, so when she says they were surprised she actually had interest and knowledge about it, that's completely logical, I'd be surprised too.

The guy creepily touching her, well that's just bad luck she had to be standing next to someone like that.

Isn't it the man/husbands job to deal with all of the finances and investments??

I don't agree with that statement, but it seem ring true.  Most gf/wifes I know could careless about finances/investments/bills and leave everything up to the husband/bf to deal with.
Though it does seem these that majority of the women I talk to are aware of Bitcoins, and know all about it.

yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:46:45 PM

That's simply true.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:43:56 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2014, 10:52:42 AM by tjohej

The thread started on 2014-01-24 and the last post is from 2014-02-04.

The reason I found the thread was because I was searching for any references in the Bitcoin community about Anita Sarkeesian. I wondered "does she accept Bitcoin?". Anyway this is the only thread I found which referenced her person and that in a negative light unfortunately.

The Bitcoin community has some sexists but they also have people who are upset by violence against women.

They want to shut us up and degrade and insult us for just wanting a more just world. We are not demanding anything from a utopia. Just more respect and love. As it is now less women take an interest in Bitcoin thanks to the sexists and their hateful ways which equals less participants in Bitcoin.

Here's a summary of people's stance on women in early 2014:

page1
surebet links[1](link was broken but is now fixed) to Arianna Simpson's webpage which starts the thread.
Paladin69 posts a sexist youtube video "Christian Ice - TITS OR GTFO" to repeat all the known stereotypes we've already been bothered to death with thousands of times over.
31337157 thinks that Arianna Simpson's sexism experience is the exception, not the rule. "No, actually, that's not what it's like to be a woman at a bitcoin meeting"
SirWilliam is not positive of Arianna Simpson's writing style "Her account is full of cartoonish generalizations".
Zeal0t thinks the men are not to blame for what happened during the assault "can you really blame a room full of mega nerds for not at all knowing how to treat a woman?".
Paladin69 reaffirms previous opinion "don't dress like a cock tease.".
kjlimo doesn't have time for this thread. "Not all meetups are the same"
Junko expresses enjoyment of the video Paladin69 posted
fancy_pants doesn't think that Arianna Simpson was assaulted as a female, but as a human. "I don't think you were hit on and practically groped because you are a woman"
Zeal0t agrees with fancy_pants "Nice"
freedomno1 comments on that he has never met a woman at a Bitcoin meetup. "I have attended bitcoin meetups and no girls have appeared"
Bitware does not like how Arianna Simpson presented her story "emotion, lies and misrepresentations"
Grinder "we're supposed to be living in the civilized part of the world"
PhydeauxLeChien thinks we should not exclude 50% of potential entrants in the Bitcoin Community. Treat women as our allies, not enemies.
Rygon thinks that women should fight back if they are victims of sexism. "the author choose not to fight back"
Bitware thinks Arianna Simpson and Anita Sarkeesian are liars. "Anita Sarkeesian did the same thing to the tune of $160 thousand re feminist video game commentary."
PhydeauxLeChien doesn't personally know Arianna Simpson but thinks her story is strongly connected to reality. "The core tenet of feminism is merely that men and women should be treated equally."
100x is disgusted by the sexism in this thread. "The amount of sexism in this thread is sad and pathetic."
surebet thinks that most of the posters in the thread are terrible people. "Most of you are terrible people."
pabloangello "Most of people here are mens that when see nice lady start to think by their dicks."

page2
freedomno1 "Well at least this is the right demographic to ask lol"
mailmansDOG not related to the thread "internet gold"
Gabi thinks that gender should not matter in the Bitcoin community. "Ridicolous. Sex does not matter in bitcoin"
Bitware doesn't like political correctness. "She and those like her live in the world of whimsy, emotion, political correctness and what they try to do is alter your speech". Note: Don't forget that political correctness includes choosing words to not offend other people.
cryptoanarchist agrees with 31337157 but would also like to personally insult Arianna Simpson
exstasie would like to see pictures "Any pics?"
anti-scam doesn't like this thread. "rather than working on stuff like the payment protocol"
surebet reaffirms previous opinion. "Terrible people, terrible people everywhere."
greyhawk thinks surebet should stop thinking about terrible people. "The suprising part is where you're still surprised."
PhydeauxLeChien thinks Bitware is funny "You're hilarious"
VforVictory talks about hormones.
PhydeauxLeChien "EVIL MAN-BASHING FEMINIST CONSPIRACY!"
Bitcopia wonders why the thread is in the Press section. "Why is this thread in press?"
Junko makes fun of the situation that no women want to join the Bitcoin community.
VforVictory got a bit confused on what Junko said.
Junko "Who said I wanted to relate to feminism/feminists?"
yayayo thinks that thinking is overrated.
Grinder thinks the women-hating atmosphere has gone too far. "You will probably never even realize how big a disservice you're doing to Bitcoin by posting all these stuipd remarks."
Junko feels insulted "I only hope bitcoin can recover from this great disservice I've rendered upon it."
yayayo thinks that Bitcoin as a divine entity does not care about sexism. "Bitcoin doesn't care, cause it has no sex."

page3
VforVictory "<Men run screaming for fear of gay jokes"
Grinder thinks it is worthwhile to start a flamewar with the help of Junko
Junko would certainly like the flamewar to begin if somebody just provides the fire.
Grinder thinks it is appropriate as part of the flame to make women look stupid.
Junko notes it is stupid to make fun of women as part of a flamewar."That kind of remark is a disservice not only to your aunt"
C. Bergmann "No problem at all. Girls, join the meetups. You'll never felt more pretty"
marcus_of_augustus thinks people should stop posting in the thread "Can't we let this thread die already?"
surebet disagrees with marcus_of_augustus
cryptoanarchist blames the mother. "Definitely getting to see who the awkward geeks are that still worship women because they feel inadequate due to growing up with an overbearing mother."
prophetx replies to Bitcopia whether the thread is in the right forum section.
100x thinks that the sexism and hate prevalent in the thread is a hostile environment and doesn't encourage discussion but only name calling and insults. "I had a nice snarky post all written, but in the interest of being a positive contributor I begrudingly removed it."
prophetx thinks it matters a lot if a woman is called a girl, instead of being called a woman.
100x is not much for a greater discussion in a hostile woman-hating environment.
prophetx replies to 100x
embracebitcoin thinks most women prefer ignorance to knowledge. "A bit like 'ignorance is bliss'."
Le Happy Merchant says thank you and leaves the thread alone.
xyzzy099 gets turned on by surebet's avatar.
surebet comments about the avatar, that it could be worse than what it looks.
Ripdon007 mentions another Bitcoin meetup where women were the minority and men were the majority. "and had around 40 people present and 1 Woman/Girl"

page4
exstasie "Though it does seem these that majority of the women I talk to are aware of Bitcoins, and know all about it."
yayayo agrees with embracebitcoin
tjohej "The reason I found the thread was because I was searching for any references in the Bitcoin community about Anita Sarkeesian"
surebet says page is going down
elasticband is dissatisfied with something
ThomasCrowne "Only meetings I've ever attended are up here in Portland and there is a growing female presence attending seemingly every other week."
tjohej on link-rot
Grinder to tjohej "Wow, you must really enjoy building straw men."
dontCAREhair to ThomasCrowne "Overall bitcoin use is mostly male by a large amount so any females that use bitcoin will be met with a bit of skepticism."
Erdogan thinks surebet was paid by someone to start this thread
nwfella thinks one of the men are not to blame for what happened during the assault "Apologies but it's good that you realize that in his own sort of awkward way he was probably trying to pay you a compliment."
cryptoanarchist blames surebet
nwfella found cryptoanarchist's ways violent "And your more than likely right to boot."
Swordsoffreedom if the demographics on gender have changed recently
surebet replies to Erdogan
CoinMode irritated by tjohej's summary of the thread
turvarya thinks that how women dress matter when going to a Bitcoin meetup. "Yes it matters how she was dressed and also her body language."
tjohej "This isn't a thread about Anita Sarkeesian"

refs:
[1] -- http://web.archive.org/web/20140207235615/http://ariannasimpson.com/post/74400025051/this-is-what-its-like-to-be-a-woman-at-a-bitcoin (link was broken so replaced it with WayBack Machine)

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
surebet (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 08:40:09 PM

OP updated to reflect page going down.
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 08:46:19 PM

Sounds like mr dupree jr, mr joesmoe himself.
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:32:07 AM

Hope your experience was geography specific.  Only meetings I've ever attended are up here in Portland and there is a growing female presence attending seemingly every other week.

tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 01:20:34 PM

OP updated to reflect page going down.
You fixed the link-rot

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: