Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:16:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: *RANT* My short-lived experienced using Virwox....  (Read 1444 times)
flipstyle (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:09:12 AM

I'll try and keep this as short and concise as possible.  I know perhaps my personal experience may not be indicative of the whole, but it has still left quite a sour taste in my mouth.

Signed up for a virwox account last week, after exploring my options.  Already had a coinbase account, but it's still under the 30 day trial phase so I can't purchase more than a tiny amount instantly at a time.

All went fine, and I funded 2 maximum transactions to purchase SLL (or whatever it's called) through my bank's visa debit card (with more than adequate funds available).

That was around 3 days ago.  The next day, I decided to convert my SLL to btc at their accepted market rates so it would appear instantly in my account.  All good...0.22 btc.

Later that afternoon, I found that I could not even load the virwox homepage.  Kept on timing out...502 bad gateway...repeat...repeat.  Finally gave up, as it seems their server was completely fucked.  That's gotta be a great selling point for dealing with digital currency markets that can suffer huge market swings in the course of even an hour, right? ......

Finally was able to log in (albeit after several refreshes) and access my account about 8 hours later.  Promptly went and submitted my first withdrawl request for the btc directly to my wallet.  Okay...seems promising.

Their website stated that it would be subject to manual review, since this was my first withdrawl from their service.
I'm totally cool with that, as I'd never have anything to hide.

Fast forward to yesterday morning.  I try to log in, and suddenly am greeted by a red 'your account has been disabled' message.  What. The. Eff?

I thought perhaps it was just a glitch, or that I had entered the incorrect password.  Try 5 more times, each time the same message.

Check both my email inbox and spam folders and not a single message from virwox stating an impending account lock.

Soooooooo....after fishing around their site, I finally locate their customer service email.  Wrote them a not-so-friendly message asking why the hell I'm locked out of my account while they have my hard earned money.

A few hours later was greeted by this totally awesome message:

Hello,

unfortunately we have received high risk indications for your account from our credit card processor (Skrill). We have therefore refunded your payment and closed the account.

It can take up to 7 days until you see the refund back on the card or bank account.

Greetings,

VirWoX Support

No apologies.  No details outlining what prompted or constituted a 'high risk indiciation'...nothing.  I've used this same credit union for over 10 years now, without issue.

Needless to say, they better refund my money asap, or I'm going to get ugly with them. This may have ended up being a blessing in disguise, however...as virwox's transaction fees are absolutely laughable.

End rant. Hopefully anyone else deciding to use them has better luck than me.  But definitely user beware.
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:16:00 AM

I know, I did too, They tried pulling that shit on me, and I responded with my lawyers contact info, I had 1 BTC in there that they weren't going to release, I was bout ready to sue them, along with PayPal. They responded and said it was their mistake, Limit has been lifted.  Grin
Faince1985

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:53:21 AM

I did the almost same (and they did the same). You can't blame them though as playing with PayPal is risky and I think they accept new PP To BTC from only old-customers with a good record.

flipstyle (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:53:06 AM

I know, I did too, They tried pulling that shit on me, and I responded with my lawyers contact info, I had 1 BTC in there that they weren't going to release, I was bout ready to sue them, along with PayPal. They responded and said it was their mistake, Limit has been lifted.  Grin

Damn, interesting.  That is some REALLY shady stuff they are pulling off.  By the way, both of my transactions weren't funded through paypal either.  It was through my bank debit card.  So them 'stating' 2 days already after the charges had cleared my account, that my transactions were 'high risk' only after I initiated a withdrawl, is laughable.  Actually, it's more like a joke.  But whatever...coinbase's rates are WAY better, it's just a matter of me having to wait another week and a half for my trial limits to be raised : /
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 08:05:48 AM

Damn, interesting.  That is some REALLY shady stuff they are pulling off.  By the way, both of my transactions weren't funded through paypal either.  It was through my bank debit card.  So them 'stating' 2 days already after the charges had cleared my account, that my transactions were 'high risk' only after I initiated a withdrawl, is laughable.  Actually, it's more like a joke.  But whatever...coinbase's rates are WAY better, it's just a matter of me having to wait another week and a half for my trial limits to be raised : /
Im more comfortable with Bitstamps or Coinbase's rates as well, Although, I wish they were as high as MtGox's rates.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: