Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:01:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HSBC restricting cash withdrawals in UK  (Read 4934 times)
retrend (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:15:33 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25861717

Refusing to give customers the cash unless they provide an adequate reason.  People suitably unimpressed at having less control of their money in a bank than they thought.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:23:36 AM

Banks in the UK have had cash withdrawal policies like this for years. Getting out anything over £500 is a pain.
lucaso

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:31:08 AM

Such policy is just good for money - bank money. But I think you could find a bank in UK that doesn't have such policy, so in case like that I would change my bank - instantly.

To be honest its same for Bitcoin, miners can confirm your transaction when they decide you paid enough fee. Intention is same.

HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:39:35 AM

My grandmother had Parkinson's disease (reduced her ability to think clearly) and was nearly scammed out of her savings by cold callers.  Only the family intervened in time.

There do need to be protections for people with low mental ability.  Nigerian scams still take in 100s of millions every year.

There are a lot of dumb people out there that need protecting.  HSBC overstepped the mark here though.  It's a tough balance to achieve.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:00:08 AM

Refusing to give customers the cash unless they provide an adequate reason.  People suitably unimpressed at having less control of their money in a bank than they thought.

Banks are funny. They don't get the concept of it being our money not theirs ..... another good reason to eliminate them, especially HSBC.
2bfree

Activity: 686
Merit: 251

I'm investigating Crypto Projects

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 03:15:02 AM

Banks are funny. They don't get the concept of it being our money not theirs ..... another good reason to eliminate them, especially HSBC.

Let me break it to you it's not your money it's their money and if they want they will take it and not give it to you! It happened over and over and over again! This is why I don't keep money in the bank just the bare minimum I know dozens of people where the bank just took the money and said p#@$# off! I'm not kidding! Think it can't happen in the UK, then remember this post in a few years.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
>>FREE SEO AUDIT/WHITE LABEL MAKE MONEY!<<
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:49:42 AM

Let me break it to you it's not your money it's their money and if they want they will take it and not give it to you! It happened over and over and over again! This is why I don't keep money in the bank just the bare minimum I know dozens of people where the bank just took the money and said p#@$# off! I'm not kidding! Think it can't happen in the UK, then remember this post in a few years.

No its legally my money. Banks just like to think its theirs.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:51:44 AM

Whose name is on it?  Bank of empoweoqwj?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:57:59 AM

So legally you don't own the money you have in a bank. Is that what you are saying? Show me a law saying that.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:11:17 AM

So legally you don't own the money you have in a bank. Is that what you are saying? Show me a law saying that.

I'm guessing he means a Cyprus style event.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:43:05 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 06:50:18 AM by Peter R

You certainly don't own the money used to purchase any GICs you hold with your bank, and you don't really even own the money in your checking account--you just have an agreement with the bank that you are guaranteed cash on "demand" provided you give the bank sufficient time to prepare any large withdrawals you may request.

When you deposit money at the bank, the asset side of the bank's balance sheet increases by an amount equal to the cash you turned over, while the liability side of their balance sheet increases by the same amount, reflecting the bank's obligation to you.  

If the bank goes bust, you just become an unsecured creditor in the bankruptcy proceedings (albeit insured against loss to some extent by the FDIC, but that's really a separate issue).  Our fractional reserve system can only function if the money you deposit legally becomes the bank's asset, so that the bank has the right to lend it out and accept the risk of loss should the loans go sour.

Also, if it was your money, you'd have to pay the banks to take care of it.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 08:40:52 AM

Bitcoin user not affected Cheesy

p.s. I'm calling a bank run scare, somethings definitely up if the other banks start behaving the same way, it's going to start becoming more and more difficult to get your money out because the system is collapsing in on itself and everybody in charge doesn't want people to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_run
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:05:00 AM

money printer lp0 on fire ...  Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lp0_on_fire

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
pening

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:48:16 PM

Bitcoin user not affected Cheesy

p.s. I'm calling a bank run scare, somethings definitely up if the other banks start behaving the same way, it's going to start becoming more and more difficult to get your money out because the system is collapsing in on itself and everybody in charge doesn't want people to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_run

Then you'd be alarmist and un-informed.  It quite normal in UK banks to ask you to notify them of large cash withdrawals in advance.  Seems the only issue here is the bank has made some internal procedure change and not properly communicated it to bank staff, and a few (come on, three stories for one of the largest banks) have found staff applying the procedure oddly.  

The root of this is that banks don't like cash and like to have vast stacks of cash at branch "just in case".  Its a pain in the arse for them, they'd much rather you move money around electronically and make it easy to do so.  Most allow instant inter-bank transfers for free.

And trying to turn Bitcoin to cash in the UK... doubt localbitcoins can back a £10k withdrawal.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 01:12:52 PM

and that is why there will never be a bank run - they just dont hand out your money - sick world  Roll Eyes . these laws are made for the next crysis.

MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:24:28 PM

It is legally the banks money.

You have loaned it to them and are relying on their legal obligation to pay you it back upon demand, but the goalposts of their obligation are liable to shift.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
h3rlihy

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:28:02 PM

What do you even need cash to pay for? I have never had to withdraw a large amount of cash.. ever...
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:37:15 PM

£1
ow
w

such measure

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:47:55 PM

Proof of spending. I see a new alt in the making.

But yeah this is more or less normal. One time I've been to 4 branches of the same bank in one day to withdraw the amount I needed. They often don't have 10k at hand (or they do, but would risk running low in the evening or before the next schedules cash delivery).

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:53:16 PM

Banks in the UK have had cash withdrawal policies like this for years. Getting out anything over £500 is a pain.

Many people don't realize banks in the US are not obligated to give you a large amount of cash either, they can simply refuse, even if have a large balance with them.  They is no law on the books, they can't legally make you answer questions to why you need the cash, but they can simply say, no, we don't have that much on us.  Nothing you can do about it except request a smaller amount.  Sometimes its $5k, sometimes its $10k, varies bank by bank and by individual branch with cash reserves on hand.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: