Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 03:13:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cex.io being evasive - I'm freaking out!  (Read 116 times)
Mastroiani (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 11:23:37 AM

Long story short: I opened an account on cex.io last year, then forgot about it. Then I moved to another country and opened a different account and asked cex.io to close my first account. They replied saying they closed the account.

Couple of weeks ago I decided to transfer some BTC from my Binance account to the cex.io account. On my phone I accessed cex.io account and got my BTC deposit account, then transferred BTC there.

When the deposit didn't show up on my new cex.io account I got really worried. Then I realized that I accidentally transferred it to my old account, which was supposed to be closed.

I wrote cex.io support and asked them to transfer the funds to my current cex.io account. It's been a week and they keep telling me they need to involve several departments, because it's a super complicated process, etc etc. Every time I write them, they tell me to wait.

I am wondering if it really is such a complex process? My old BTC address is still active, so I don't understand why it would be so difficult to just transfer those funds to a different address?

How hard should it be to take my crypto, which shows available on my account and just transfer it to another account, also within cex.io?Huh  I'm freaking.

Thank you
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 11:35:53 AM

It may not exactly be a very complicated process, but at least one that's insanely time consuming. You are asking the exchange to dig up a private key (which they have hundreds and thousands of) belonging to your address, which is basically like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Considering that it is your fault entirely, you can't do anything other than granting the exchange as much time as it needs to find it.

I can't say how long it will take them, but you can be sure of the fact that you will get your funds, don't worry.
Mastroiani (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 11:42:15 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I certainly don't blame just them, it was partly my fault, but not entirely.  They supposedly closed my account - I couldn't access it anymore through web/desktop, and I also logged out of my mobile app.  But then I was still able to access the account inadvertently through my phone - wasn't it supposed to be locked out as well, just like the web account?  I accept my responsibility, I should have triple checked, but there must be some kind of glitch in their system that allowed me access a closed account.  So, yes it's my fault, but not 100%.

In any case, thank you for your reply.  Is there any way I could provide that private key to them? Would I have it?  Sorry, if this is a silly question.
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 11:52:15 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I certainly don't blame just them, it was mostly my fault, but not entirely.  They supposedly closed my account - I couldn't access it anymore through web/desktop, and I also logged out of my mobile app.  But then I was still able to access the account inadvertently through my phone - wasn't it supposed to be locked out as well, just like the web account?  I accept my responsibility, I should have triple checked, but there must be some kind of glitch in their system that allowed me access a closed account.  So, yes it's my fault, but not 100%.

In any case, thank you for your reply.  Is there any way I could provide that private key to them? Would I have it?  Sorry, if this is a silly question.
Only the exchange holds the private key, so you can't do anything about it.

Tbh, you're still lucky that they told you to wait rather than you can't get the funds back. Just be patient. I also think it would take a lot of time plus consider that it's not the only issue they need to solve (support tickets from other users).
Mastroiani (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 11:57:11 AM

Thank you
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 08:11:02 PM

How are you able to access the old account on your phone, but not on your actual computer? That's what baffles me with this situation. Are you sure that you actually opened a fresh cex.io page, instead of looking at a cached version of your account as a result of you opening it earlier on your mobile?

Anyways, you don't have your private key. Only exchanges have access to that.

If you can prove that they didn't close your account, then that is their fault. However as you said, partially the responsibility is still on you. If they are giving you a response, then it could be good news since there is a chance that you may get your funds back. CEX is definitely notoriously slow at actually processing tickets, though. You may need to remind them about it every week.
Mastroiani (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 08:34:32 PM

No, it’s not a cached version. I can freely access CEX.IO  through their application on my iPhone. I even made a screen recording with Live access to my account. It asks me for my fingerprint and then I can navigate entire system including balances, with drawls, deposits, trades, etc. The only thing I cannot do is actual withdrawals. I could post the video here but I’m not sure how safe it is because my account number  is visible.

Yes, it is partly my responsibility as in if I were to cross a street and traffic light is glitchy and I trust the traffic light and I just don’t double check the oncoming traffic. Yes, I should have double checked the oncoming traffic but in reality the traffic light should have worked. It’s really not my responsibility To know the system behind traffic lights or to check every time whether the system is broken. If I see it working then I trust it. It’s not a perfect analogy but I think it fits my situation. My account number is still active in my account still works.

Tjanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: