Author Topic: GDPR  (Read 208 times)
Rath_ (OP)
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 07:31:08 PM

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned it here yet. GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) was implemented on 25th May. If you didn't hear about it then you are probably living under a rock. GDPR is supposed to let European Union citizens control their personal data.

A lot of people have been complaining about GDPR. Some people say that it is a huge hassle for small businesses because it increases the amount of work that needs to be done and preparations which, in some cases, might have been expensive. There were 2 years to prepare for the GDPR so why so many people are complaining? It wasn't a sudden change in the law, but, still, there are many websites which decided to simply block the EU IP address ranges.

I would like to hear opinions of European and other bitcointalk members.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 05:47:14 AM
Merited by suchmoon (5), Foxpup (1)

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned it here yet. GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) was implemented on 25th May. If you didn't hear about it then you are probably living under a rock. GDPR is supposed to let European Union citizens control their personal data.

A lot of people have been complaining about GDPR. Some people say that it is a huge hassle for small businesses because it increases the amount of work that needs to be done and preparations which, in some cases, might have been expensive. There were 2 years to prepare for the GDPR so why so many people are complaining? It wasn't a sudden change in the law, but, still, there are many websites which decided to simply block the EU IP address ranges.

Imho it's a poorly written law.

The first result of the law was that I've got Thursday a tremendous amount of spam. Everybody decided to ask me that day about this. Guess what? Most mails were ignored.
I can bet that some smarter script kiddies have sent plenty of phishing that day too.

The other result is that some services (even from the banks) may not be working properly anymore since they need now explicit acceptance of the rules to send whatever notifications (like the card has expired).

The result will be that everything you want to do will start with: do you want our service? then please accept this full GDPR compliant form and then we can discuss. Yesterday I couldn't access weather.com from my smartphone because their form didn't display or redirect correctly.

I've heard that some American services have just simply closed their doors for European customers because of this. Yet another way to "comply".

So all in all it's a lot of hassle for something that will actually not help much (or at all).
big_daddy

Activity: 1652
Merit: 583

xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2018, 08:29:18 AM

this GDPR is written by people who doesn't have a minute of work in real life
those who was writing this Regulation knows the business world only in theory, nothing in practice

according to the GDPR, for example, noone can send You an e-mail without your consensus, but, based on my example, I am still receiving a lot of spams but what? see on court? of course  Cheesy I don't have time for that
only "justice hunters" will have some benefit, interests, cause they have good lawyers
JungleBadman

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 09:59:28 AM

The good thing about these laws is that it changes the way people see your data. Your data is valuable, and companies are not entitled to it and nor should they be. Companies like Facebook misuse your data and profit from it tremendously and these laws pave the way for new cryptocurrency advertising platforms that allow you to monetize your browsing data that you rightfully own.

I think it will be a good thing in the long term because people have a right to their privacy and spam is a serious problem.
examplens
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 3172

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2018, 06:16:34 PM

I expect This will most likely reflect on ICOs. They can have a problem with GDPR and collect users data. Many began to insist on KYC to be sure that users are in accordance with the rules and crypto regulations in the different country.
yoseph

Activity: 868
Merit: 266

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 06:18:52 PM

A lot of the websites that I have registered with have sent me emails regarding the GDPR implementation and that because of that they have revised their privacy policy.
Blockpass

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 08:58:46 AM

We actually wrote a  blog post about GDPR that you might find relevant recently: https://medium.com/@blockpass/from-2-billion-to-200-users-gdpr-is-changing-data-compliance-landscape-a1e3dc046b40

There are a lot of different opinions on how GDPR has been implemented and how it will be enforced but at its core it is trying to give control of data back to the users instead of companies which is a great move.

There has been a lot of spam emails trying to get people to respond in the run up to the 25th but since then there shouldn't be emails from anyone that you haven't already given permission to.

But the privacy and data control aspect is something that we've been working hard to solve at Blockpass. We're working towards a truly self-sovereign identity verification app which would fit GDPR perfectly. Check out our app or our website: www.blockpass.org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: