Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:39:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who run barter town?  (Read 4136 times)
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 07:10:12 PM

go for like 1$/BTC to <0.1$/BTC very very quickly.

Great ! Can't wait until that happens. I will be able to buy 100k of bitcoins for almost nothing ! Can you imagine that ?

BTC would have crashed and be worth nothing. Furthermore, it wouldn't be able to come back to where it was before ether because the confidence level would be too low.

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 09:30:13 PM

BTC would have crashed and be worth nothing. Furthermore, it wouldn't be able to come back to where it was before ether because the confidence level would be too low.

I disagree. If the price of Bitcoins relative to USD falls dramatically, it will quickly be brought back up in price by people buying the now cheap Bitcoins. I don't think the word "crash" is really applicable to a currency, unless you're talking about a fiat one.
nster

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 11:23:38 PM

I disagree. If the price of Bitcoins relative to USD falls dramatically, it will quickly be brought back up in price by people buying the now cheap Bitcoins. I don't think the word "crash" is really applicable to a currency, unless you're talking about a fiat one.

S3052 also talked about this. If there were a crash in value, many merchants would leave, many miners would not come back as they do not trust BTC anymore etc etc.

Have you heard Gavin's thing on the talkshow econotalk or wtv? I heard it today and MAN is that interesting. Notice the emphasis on TRUST. Only the "geeks" as he says, would trust BTC and it couldn't get a lift off again by geeks if no non-geek wants to gonear BTC

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 12:14:56 AM

If the exchange rate of USD to BTC drops dramatically, unless there if an insurmountable security flaw with or attack on the network, it makes no sense for vendors to flee.

I sell gallons of milk for $2. Yesterday, the exchange rate was 1 BTC = $1. This morning, someone started selling hundreds of thousands of coins, causing the rate to fall to 1 BTC = $0.02. Today, I can sell gallons of milk for 200 BTC, 50 times as many coins.

I have more of an incentive today to sell for BTC, as the potential for future value is inversely proportional to the size of the "crash".
wb3

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 12:37:08 AM

If the exchange rate of USD to BTC drops dramatically, unless there if an insurmountable security flaw with or attack on the network, it makes no sense for vendors to flee.

I sell gallons of milk for $2. Yesterday, the exchange rate was 1 BTC = $1. This morning, someone started selling hundreds of thousands of coins, causing the rate to fall to 1 BTC = $0.02. Today, I can sell gallons of milk for 200 BTC, 50 times as many coins.

I have more of an incentive today to sell for BTC, as the potential for future value is inversely proportional to the size of the "crash".

Technically correct. Unless you have a 100,000 gallons of milk from yesterday that you bought with 2 BTC each. You now reprice them at  200 BTC to maintain there value. However, your customers don't get to take their BTC and conveniently take the 2 BTC in their wallets and change it into 200 BTC.  So now, no one can afford your milk and you make no money.  You have just described Hyper-Inflation. And it hurts vendors and companies hard and fast.  Your best defense is to lower prices to a point they can afford, to offload your product. The best think to do would to keep the Milk at 2 BTC maybe 3 or 4 BTC. And then bail on your next purchase of milk. Basically pass it on to your vendor.

Net Worth = 0.10    Hah, "Net" worth Smiley
nster

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 01:02:03 AM

Technically correct. Unless you have a 100,000 gallons of milk from yesterday that you bought with 2 BTC each. You now reprice them at  200 BTC to maintain there value. However, your customers don't get to take their BTC and conveniently take the 2 BTC in their wallets and change it into 200 BTC.  So now, no one can afford your milk and you make no money.  You have just described Hyper-Inflation. And it hurts vendors and companies hard and fast.  Your best defense is to lower prices to a point they can afford, to offload your product. The best think to do would to keep the Milk at 2 BTC maybe 3 or 4 BTC. And then bail on your next purchase of milk. Basically pass it on to your vendor.

or sell in $$ and drop BTC

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: