Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 05:53:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MOBO's... Intel vs AMD  (Read 606 times)
wbmillerkc (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:52:03 PM

Hey All

I know most people probably run AMD's because of the lower initial cost... I'm an Intel guy myself. I'm researching building a mining rig, and was wondering if there is anyone out there running Intel motherboards? I have a socket 7 Asus Intel I built years ago and it ran rock solid 24/7 for years.

I'm looking at probably 6 R9 280's with 2 1200w PSU's in an open air rig. What I'm really after is reliability and ease of set up. I've never built an AMD rig although the parts aren't physicaly that different. I know the cost would be a little higher to start... but a hundred bucks or so USD might be worth the cost in grey hairs.

Anyone want to weigh in one way or the other?
imdabest239

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:12:29 PM

my i5 does a higher hash rate cpu mining them my amd 6 core but for the price i love my amd if it comes down to price go amd 8 core if not go i7 will give a little higher hash rate not much in case you want to mine cpu coins later on.

sighle

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:36:47 PM

If you're building a GPU mining rig; go for an AMD setup.

If you're building a CPU rig, go for Intel.

[DOGE]: D6EBXikfCaPqcEJULsR2qzrLWyGBdYEwGv
[LTC]: LbPrmVGKnVhn6G8FFGFdthPyP1tjFucZHu
BTC: 1JpJ4tTM2ZCCLQf1jAnTmQbKMq7LGbrmQG
aggster

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:08:16 PM

a good cpu can be just as profitable as a gpu for coins too. I believe allot are making money cpu mining metis coin at the moment,  till someone works out how to mine it on a gpu.
HuskyHuskie

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 12:29:10 AM

If you are just doing GPU mining then I'd say go with AMD. The CPU is cheaper and the motherboards (in my experience) tend to be cheaper as well. They also tend to have a easier upgrade path, if you want to upgrade the CPU for an Intel based machine you typically will need to replace the motherboard, with AMD they usually have the same socket for several generations.
wbmillerkc (OP)

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:16:53 AM

If you are just doing GPU mining then I'd say go with AMD. The CPU is cheaper and the motherboards (in my experience) tend to be cheaper as well. They also tend to have a easier upgrade path, if you want to upgrade the CPU for an Intel based machine you typically will need to replace the motherboard, with AMD they usually have the same socket for several generations.

Thanks, I didn't know that about AMD boards. My long term strategy is start with maybe a duel core cpu, and upgrade it to a quad or 6 core later on after the GPU's start making a profit, then hook an external ASIC with it's own PSU up and mining Sha-256 with the idle (for the most part) CPU.

End result is the whole system will be under quite a bit of stress. Water cooling is probably an option at that point. So Reliability is real important to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: