Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:32:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmex/Derebit for noobs - Leveraged Trading. Longs and Shorts!  (Read 2827 times)
allmeat27 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 28

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 05:06:47 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2019, 05:11:12 AM by allmeat27

Huge note: Bitmex is cracking down on it's no US users policy. You used to be able to sign up via VPN and it was fine if you never used the VPN again. Now, if you login using a US IP they flag you. This means you need to use a VPN every time you login. The new up and coming futures exchange is Deribit which I've started using instead of Bitmex. The volume is lower, BUT it doesn't have the "System Overload" problems that Bitmex does. The fees are also lower on Derebit.

Note, you do get 10% off fees if you sign up through a referral link. Feel free to use mine: https://www.bitmex.com/register/astVxa and https://www.deribit.com/reg-4025.4455, but even if you don't use mine, use someone's because it's 10% off fees, which adds up. You're literally throwing away 10% on every trade if you don't use a referral.

I kept seeing the Bitmex wrecked twitter thing and seeing mentions of leverage all over 4chan, but had absolutely no idea what it all meant. It also looked too complicated for me so I've always ignored it. Got bored today and it's actually much simpler than it seems. There's a ton of guides that go super in-depth and those made absolutely no sense to me, so I'm going to explain it from an idiot's perspective.

First of all, the draw of Futures Exchanges is you can do what's called Leveraged trading. In the simplest terms possible, it means you multiply your percentage gains/losses. If you go 10x leverage long on bitcoin and bitcoin gains 1%, you gain 10% more money. This is super cool for impatient people like me because it allows you to trade more actively without getting wrecked by fees, and it's ridiculously exciting.

Again, both Bitmex and Derebit don't allow US users, so unless you're outside the US, you need to register under a VPN (and continue using VPN on Bitmex, Derebit should just be register under it and you're done). I use NordVPN and it's only $3 a month.

Once you're registered, deposit some BTC into your Bitmex/Derebit wallet. When you first open the trade screen it's going to look super complicated. It's not.

Buying Long on a coin means you expect it to go up. Buying short on a coin means you expect it to go down. Playing those buys works like any other Exchange (i.e. Binance). You can set a limit price to buy in at and an amount. to buy.

Now you want to pick your leverage. In the menu below that, there's a slider. Again, each multiplier of leverage means every 1% = your leverage multiplier. 1% gain with a 25x leverage means 25% gain. I would start with 2x/3x leverage until you get a good handle on things.

The Cost number below the buy long/buy short number is the big one here. With leverage, you're essentially putting loaned money toward a coin. With 10x leverage, you can buy 1 BTC even if you only have .1 BTC (this is why the percentage gains are so drastic). However, this means you can lose it as well.

Let's say you bought 1 BTC at $10000, Long at 10x leverage (So you put in $1000). If BTC dropped 10% to $9000, you would lose all $1000 you put in. If it went to $11000, you would gain $1000 and double your money. Bitmex will auto "liquidate you" if you drop too far and don't have any more money to cover (10x leverage means if it drops more than 10% you lose all the money you put in. 25x leverage means if it drops more than 4% you lose all your money).

You can change orders on the fly and constantly adjust. Let's say BTC raised to $10100 (1%). You could then sell your long order and you will have gained 10% and now you can invest your $1100.

Note, on Derebit, each contract is $10 rather than $1, meaning a 10,000 contract order on Bitmex is the same as a 1,000 contract order on Derebit.

Like I said, there's a ton of guides out there that go into the more fancy TA and ways you can adjust orders, but this should provide a quick overview to get you started. They have a testnet site where you can practice with fake money first as well.

Part 2 with more advanced tips here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5038481.0
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 05:41:52 AM

Thinking sub 7 is coming soon. Shorting with tight SLs today.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 08:28:19 PM

Welp, very wrong on Sub 7, that's what stop losses are for! Waiting for 7650 and shorting there today.
goyald2801

Activity: 252
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 09:19:31 PM

Riskiest option you choose if you do margin trading on any exchange specially on bitmex with x100 leverage .
people thing one right move will turn their 100 bucks into 200 with just 1% difference in predicted trend . but it is totally gamble , margin trading should be done with low leverage . i tell you reason why .

suppose you have 100 usd only on bitmex and do long btc at 7100usd at x100 leverage , after 15 mins btc dip upto 7015usd  and later it bounce back to 7400 usd . bcoz you had only 100 usd so in that case your order will be liquidated at 7029usd (1% of 7100 at x100 leverage) . even after choosing a right move you lost it just bcoz 1% dip .
correct me if i am wrong .
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 08:05:37 PM

Riskiest option you choose if you do margin trading on any exchange specially on bitmex with x100 leverage .
people thing one right move will turn their 100 bucks into 200 with just 1% difference in predicted trend . but it is totally gamble , margin trading should be done with low leverage . i tell you reason why .

suppose you have 100 usd only on bitmex and do long btc at 7100usd at x100 leverage , after 15 mins btc dip upto 7015usd  and later it bounce back to 7400 usd . bcoz you had only 100 usd so in that case your order will be liquidated at 7029usd (1% of 7100 at x100 leverage) . even after choosing a right move you lost it just bcoz 1% dip .
correct me if i am wrong .

You are correct, but thats why I suggest using Cross leverage. If you have 100 USD on bitmex, only bet $20 of it. This will mean it can dip to 6850 (napkin math) before you lose your entire balance, but you can lose more than the $20 you put in. Check the tips thread for a full explanation.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 10:52:19 PM

Long worked out great. Lots of money to be made in these areas since it's bouncing back and forth constantly.
Rkoshay

Activity: 96
Merit: 3

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 02:19:30 AM

Thanks for the interesting and informative review and comments about Bitmex.  It sounds exciting and dangerous, one could win a lot and also lose a lot.  Don't know if I'm up for that level of action but am going to check it out!
MaryKiTy22

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 02:33:57 AM

bitmex for noobs is The biggest difference is that in Bitmex you just load into Bitcoin and draw in Bitcoin. All other altcoins are derivative currencies and you do not need to actually buy or sell it.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 07:52:43 PM

bitmex for noobs is The biggest difference is that in Bitmex you just load into Bitcoin and draw in Bitcoin. All other altcoins are derivative currencies and you do not need to actually buy or sell it.

What in the world does this even mean
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:23:52 AM

Sideways ALL day today. Very strange. Longing 7500 if it gets hit.
MoonIsBlue

Activity: 406
Merit: 111

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 11:00:36 AM

Unless you are an experienced trader I wouldn't touch leverage trading, it's very easy to get burned. There are plenty of people who lost on their portfolio's and tried to make up leverage trading on Bitmex. People that gambled away their livesavings and that of their family, people indebted because of a leverage trading addiction.

If you're a noob, then don't even bother with Bitmex or leverage trading unless you have a history of day-trading and feel confident you're up for it.

allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 05:40:48 PM

Wowzers. Got stopped out luckily, but nutty drop. Longing 6850 here.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 12:22:16 AM

Stopped out again Cheesy

Definitely think sub 6k is confirmed, not messing with longs anymore. Looking for a 6.6k short.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 08:11:32 PM

Targeting 6700-6800 for a new short here.
Ksenia4Ksenia

Activity: 146

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 05:02:52 AM

Unless you are an experienced trader I wouldn't touch leverage trading, it's very easy to get burned. There are plenty of people who lost on their portfolio's and tried to make up leverage trading on Bitmex. People that gambled away their livesavings and that of their family, people indebted because of a leverage trading addiction.

If you're a noob, then don't even bother with Bitmex or leverage trading unless you have a history of day-trading and feel confident you're up for it.

I am one example of your words. When the market was going down I saw how the capital decreased, but could not do anything, then I learned that you can play on the decline and decided to try and before you learn to spend 20% of its capital on the elimination. Now I trade only with stop loss and a small laverage
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 03:03:33 AM

Reshorting around 6500. May long 6350 if it continues to hold.
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 03:26:42 AM

I'm pretty sure that referral links are not allowed on this forum. Best to take it out to ensure this thread or your account doesn't get red flagged because you can never tell when a DT member is raging and would want to take out some anger on your account.

That being said, info on leveraging is good. As usual, caveat! Invest wisely and only what you can lose.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:49:20 AM

That short definitely did not go well, but luckily I was able to average it up and just got out at breakeven 6600. Probably longing 6500 now, think 7k will be hit at this point.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 02:05:01 AM

Lots of sideways lately. Thinking up after a 6550ish.
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 05:53:56 AM

Could you show print screen of your trades? I think I will start using bitmex again. But I still need to study more because of in the past I have made some stupid choices.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: