Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:57:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Bitcoin Thought of the Day.  (Read 668 times)
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:22:16 AM

I posted on my facebook page yesterday to my 250+- friends (yea I know you cant really have that many friends) a post about bitcoin. I feel responsible to make them aware of what it is, how it works and what it does, because I am a good friend.

no surprises, none of them really knew what it was, some hadn't even heard of it. I am the only one of them who owns bitcoins.
There was one, who had recently read about it on the news. so he says, 'mate, dont you know we've missed the boat'.

I also talk about it a lot to my closer friends. I know a lot about it and I explain it very well. they nod along and regret not buying when I told them the buying was good, but still today they have not even bothered getting a bitcoin wallet. I even offered to give them some bitcoin!

My friends are studying at Uni most of them, they are not the dummest, although I'm losing faith. what will it take before they see the light? $10,000BTC!

I cant help but thinking;

We are still so incredibly early in this game.
The generation that will be hit the worst by the financial disaster are just as ignorant as ever.
The collective 'they' are yet to foot the bill - BIG mainstream money waits in the shadows.
$100,000 BTC is a reality I can see.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:26:55 AM

Most people I've spoke to can't see the benefit of Bitcoin. And the remainder think it's a scam.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:29:22 AM

Tell everyone you know bitcoin is a scam with no benefits.  It gives you more time to stack bitcoins.  Also, they won't come to you for money when bitcoin goes through the roof.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:30:57 AM

Most people I've spoke to can't see the benefit of Bitcoin. And the remainder think it's a scam.

yes, instinctively a scam.
I was staying at billeted accommodation in gisborne New Zealand and I told those kind people about the 'revolutionary internet currency', thats 'made millionaires around the world', thats now worth 'more than gold'. they went quiet, and I quickly realised that I was not welcome at that moment.

coinpharmer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:49:26 AM

to my friends that say the bitcoin train has left the station i point out that the big retailers are only just starting to accept bitcoin and there are is much more to come. I tell them that we are still building the strain and nothing has left let save a scouting trolly to be sure the track is clear. the track is clear, clearly.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:01:50 AM

to my friends that say the bitcoin train has left the station i point out that the big retailers are only just starting to accept bitcoin and there are is much more to come. I tell them that we are still building the strain and nothing has left let save a scouting trolly to be sure the track is clear. the track is clear, clearly.

and do they believe you?
my friends cant see opportunity if it hit them in the face.
what annoys me more is that they will believe the news they read - every bit. There is no philosophy in contemporary culture.

The best argument I could offer them is that bitcoin is ready to soar BECAUSE they dont know about it - none of them could grasp that concept either.

coinpharmer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:55:46 PM

then your not explaining it properly. when i tell people that when using btc for online shopping it is impossible for your identity to be stolen they get interested in how and why that is true. then they see huge value. keep in mind many people open credit cards JUST for their online shopping, so its easier to see if something has gone wrong sooner, and to limit risk to that account. thats signing up for a lot of extra cost just to protect themselves. the people i talk to are smart enough to see how much money this fact alone will save them. i generally dont even bother telling people about the other benifits because at this point they are asking how to buy some. 
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:14:05 PM

then your not explaining it properly. when i tell people that when using btc for online shopping it is impossible for your identity to be stolen they get interested in how and why that is true. then they see huge value. keep in mind many people open credit cards JUST for their online shopping, so its easier to see if something has gone wrong sooner, and to limit risk to that account. thats signing up for a lot of extra cost just to protect themselves. the people i talk to are smart enough to see how much money this fact alone will save them. i generally dont even bother telling people about the other benifits because at this point they are asking how to buy some. 

Well I follow the offical wiki guidelines:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Public_relations

People see it as more hops to jump through. They would rather just login into Paypal, job done. With the added benefit of someone to fall back on if things go wrong.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: