Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:28:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: post quantum bitcoin?  (Read 361 times)
quixote.moon (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 05:16:34 PM

I understand there is some movement in cryptography to create code that will be viable and secure in a world with quantum computers.

As skeptical as I am about the likelihood of practical quantum computing in the near future, it seems like a proactive approach would be appropriate for the entire blockchain sector.

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen any projects working in this direction. Then again, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Has the bitcoin developing community made any moves towards post-quantum algorithms?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6145

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 06:57:01 PM

I don't know whether there is some kind of progress here but a new quantum-resistant public key algorithm could be created and added as a soft fork.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
SuperD007

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

Treat People How You Would Like To Be Treated.

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 07:57:15 PM

I don't know whether there is some kind of progress here but a new quantum-resistant public key algorithm could be created and added as a soft fork.

Hmmm that's an interesting suggestion. That actually makes sense, would be prob be the best way to solve the issue.
quixote.moon (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 04:08:35 AM

yes of course that would be a fairly simple way to solve... I'm just curious that I've not heard about any blockchains doing so, especially with all of the Quantum hype... cryptos love to ride hype trains...

But seriously, it would make more sense to implement quantum resistant cryptography before a quantum computer is created than after. Although I suppose if the practice had developed very far we'd already be using them for everything.

Not that I think practical quantum computing is so close... but, ya never know.
andrew1carlssin

Activity: 168
Merit: 3

#Please, read:Daniel Ellsberg,-The Doomsday *wk

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 12:29:09 PM

We still need benchmarks consensus, don't we ?

That post quantum question reminds me a clever question made by Einstein regards to Planck length ( denoted by symbol lp << ℓp )

Is the Moon There When Nobody Looks? Reality and the Quantum Theory[1]

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.880968

Regards to crypto realm I do like gnupg tool set ..( even when some researcher throw "scooby snaks" on us because the MDC thing .. --ignore-mdc-error  ..  Wink

https://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/gnupg

Satoshi's book editor; SCIpher - https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/scipher.html
Raghu1122

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 12:45:10 PM

I think quantum register ledger is developing something regarding this
And of course IOTA "claims" to be quantum proof...
andrew1carlssin

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 03:21:11 PM

Sometimes for investors to find a good peer review is hard, it is like find a doctor MD 2nd opinion.

when aI get a spare time I will try to read a paper called

You Shall Not Pass! (Once Again): An IoT Application of Post-quantum Stateful Signature Schemes
https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3197512

--AC

Satoshi's book editor; SCIpher - https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/scipher.html
ir.hn

Activity: 322
Merit: 54

Consensus is Constitution

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 06:35:51 PM

There definitely are blockchains focused on being quantum secure.  I don't know how successful they are or if it is just a goal but I remember reading about a couple ANN's at least where that is one of the focus' of the dev team.

But quantum computing is about as far fetched as teleportation (heck it may even be the same technology!) so I am extremely skeptical about it.

Traxo

Activity: 568
Merit: 703

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 08:00:49 PM

But quantum computing is about as far fetched as teleportation (heck it may even be the same technology!) so I am extremely skeptical about it.
Quantum mechanics is utterly incomplete.
Physicists are starting to come to grips with possibility of the multiverse.

Time is but an illusion of mutual circumstance.
As virtual reality becomes more realistic, what reality do you really exist in?
quixote.moon (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 04:16:52 AM

Quantum mechanics is utterly incomplete.
Physicists are starting to come to grips with possibility of the multiverse.

Time is but an illusion of mutual circumstance.
As virtual reality becomes more realistic, what reality do you really exist in?

Interestingly enough, quantum computing began to be developed specifically because our current computers are not powerful enough to model quantum processes.  A bit of a catch 22, we don't understand quantum reality so we need to use it to make computers that will explain it to us better Cheesy
BarryBomb

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:47:45 AM

Quantum computing will be a big game changer for POW coins as well as all others and measures will need to be taken. IOTA claims it is resistant to quantum computing attacks which I would doubt. Also, the implementation of privacy coins like monero to maintain its anonymity against quantum computing will be an interesting thing to see.
DoMB

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 06:20:25 AM

There are actually several approaches, I suppose the most promising ones are error-correcting code or lattice based code. An error-correcting code would additionally need to transmit it's "key", which can't be encrypted by it's own encryption, leaving attack possibilities open. There are already different (already aged) concepts of currencies with lattice based code, but I'm not sure, if it's possible to implement those with a soft fork.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1203.4740.pdf "Quantum Money from Hidden Subspaces" is a wonderful example of a quantumproof concept
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 08:12:28 AM

yes of course that would be a fairly simple way to solve... I'm just curious that I've not heard about any blockchains doing so, especially with all of the Quantum hype... cryptos love to ride hype trains...
As you said it yourself, it's still very much just hype. We are miles away from any practical solution that will put the current algorithms in danger.

But seriously, it would make more sense to implement quantum resistant cryptography before a quantum computer is created than after.
The implementations of quantum computers that we can see today are extremely delicate. They can barely function in perfect laboratory conditions. I think there is no need to rush ahead and deal with hypothetical problems that may never turn out to be actual problems.
BitcoinNewbie15

Activity: 574
Merit: 296

Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 04:08:27 PM

As you said it yourself, it's still very much just hype. We are miles away from any practical solution that will put the current algorithms in danger.

But seriously, it would make more sense to implement quantum resistant cryptography before a quantum computer is created than after.
The implementations of quantum computers that we can see today are extremely delicate. They can barely function in perfect laboratory conditions. I think there is no need to rush ahead and deal with hypothetical problems that may never turn out to be actual problems.

I think this could be a flawed thought process. Computer science advances very rapidly. If there is a new way to do something, it's only a matter of time until that process goes exponential. Yes, quantum computers aren't a problem now, but I am certain that they are not as far off as you think. Once quantum computer development (i.e # of qubits) goes exponential, we would have an issue. This is something we need to prepare for well in advance; quantum computers could take us by storm.

IOTA is supposedly "quantum proof" but is it not "powerful computer" proof? My understanding is IOTA needs to do an incredibly small amount of proof of work for each transaction and because of that network security is dependent upon how many transactions there are. The proof of work stays static too and isn't variable. Isn't it only a matter of time until IOTA has some sort of 51% attack and the tangle can be unwound?
Einsgold

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 06:15:58 PM

very cool idea. hard to imagine it wont be a reality with quantum computing
Thonkery

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 06:28:00 PM

I dont think it will be issue until customer grade quantum computers become available and it is not happening in near future.
osasshem

Activity: 625
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 07:25:48 AM

If there become a new project that will back up quantum computing in the blockchain or smart contract, will it aim at increasing the encryption or it will become a treat within the cryto world? Cause quantum computing is a treat when it falls into the wrong management.
andrew1carlssin

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2018, 08:01:55 AM

There are actually several approaches, I suppose the most promising ones are error-correcting code or lattice based code. An error-correcting code would additionally need to transmit it's "key", which can't be encrypted by it's own encryption, leaving attack possibilities open. There are already different (already aged) concepts of currencies with lattice based code, but I'm not sure, if it's possible to implement those with a soft fork.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1203.4740.pdf "Quantum Money from Hidden Subspaces" is a wonderful example of a quantumproof concept

Thanks for that, when a get spare time I'll try to cp to my FTP Server
[/shadow]/etc/shadow

giovinco

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 12:53:08 PM

There are some trials of quantum cryptography. Its in very early stage and its completely useless. You need a quantum computer to encode the blockchain so the usage is very limited. And cloud quantum programming is very basic, definitely not developed to such an extent that enables blockchain coding. Maybe in 5-10 years there will be a wroking qunatum blockchain.
monkeydominicorobin

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 01:37:31 AM

I understand there is some movement in cryptography to create code that will be viable and secure in a world with quantum computers.

As skeptical as I am about the likelihood of practical quantum computing in the near future, it seems like a proactive approach would be appropriate for the entire blockchain sector.

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen any projects working in this direction. Then again, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Has the bitcoin developing community made any moves towards post-quantum algorithms?

NTRU 1087 is resistant to quantum computing methods. Just research I2P Bote and you will see how stupid this fake news about quantum computers is being disseminated. If I may add there is an algorithm which is more resistant to quantum computers so don't worry.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: