Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:05:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-05-28]Credibility Threat: Monero Mining Malware Attacks Macs  (Read 113 times)
Vladdirescu87 (OP)

Activity: 966
Merit: 264

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 08:51:07 PM

A lot of Mac users described in the last few weeks that a process dubbed ‘mshelper’ was consuming a lot of CPU power, whirring fans a little too fast and totally draining their batteries within a very short time. This turned out that the process is highly related and associated with a type of malware created to mine for Monero (XMR) cryptocurrency.

Read the details in the article of Coinidol dot com, the world blockchain news outlet: https://coinidol.com/credibility-threat-monero-mining-malware-attacks-macs/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jating

Activity: 2912
Merit: 805

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 10:20:28 PM

What? I just bought my Mac three days ago and the reason that I bought it is that it's less prone to attacks and exploits. And reading this article makes me really thinks that no one is really safe from this mining malware.

Although I'm not experiencing any symptoms of such attacks, but I will try to do research and see if my Mac has been infected already. I guess everyone needs to be careful above the sites that you are visiting and any symptoms should be taken seriously. Those hackers are really that good and one step ahead of the game.

.airbet.
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██

▄████▄▄▄██████▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀████
██████████████
▀███▀███████▄██
██████████▄███
██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████▐████████
██████▀███████▀
▄███████████████▄
████████████████
█░██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████░█░███████
████████████████
█████████████████
██████████████░█
████████████████
▀███████████████▀
██▄▄▄
████████▄▄
██████▀▀████▄
██████▄░░████▄
██████████████
████████░░▀███▌
░████████▄▄████
██████████████▌
███░░░█████████
█████████░░░██▀
░░░███████████▀
██████░░░██▀
░░▀▀███▀

6,000+
GAMES
|
WEEKLY
PROMOS
....100%....
1ST DEPOSIT
BONUS
....125%.....
2ND DEPOSIT
BONUS
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██
.PLAY NOW.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2144

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 12:33:00 AM

What? I just bought my Mac three days ago and the reason that I bought it is that it's less prone to attacks and exploits. And reading this article makes me really thinks that no one is really safe from this mining malware.

It's a misconception that Mac is safer, in fact it has a lot of security vulnerabilities, and people are writing malware for it all the time. If you want a secure system, check out Qubes OS, it's based on virtualization and you can spawn lots of virtual machines for your tasks that will be isolated from each other and the core. But it's not invulnerable, so you still shouldn't do risky stuff like installing suspicious software or clicking suspicious links. And in general, being extremely careful about everything you do with the computer is much more important for security than choosing an OS or antivirus. Ideally you'd want multiple devices for different purposes like work, entertainment, finance, to minimize the risks and potential damage.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Ivandvanko

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 03:42:25 AM

on any most thoughtful coin with the most advanced protection technologies, sooner or later there will be resistance.  It's unavoidable . Cry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: