Bitcoin Forum
August 17, 2024, 07:12:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to know what coin is starting only from the address?  (Read 440 times)
rofus (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:54:53 PM

I have a very specific question here...is there a way to understand what coin we're dealing with based only on the address?

The addresses usually have some evident rules (first letter etc.), but what's the fastest way to understand at what coin belongs a specific address? Smiley
Mark™

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:58:02 PM

First letters are no longer unique as numerous alt coins have started using same first letters in their addresses. The only way way I know, is recognizing through the currency symbol.

Example BTC is only used for Bitcoins and no other cryptocurrency would ever use that as their symbol.
rofus (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:14:49 PM

Thanks,

I know about the code (BTC, LTC etc.) but in this case I'm thinking about a solution if I only have an address..nothing else.

Every coin has a unique signature when creating the address...that's why I was thinking about a way to identify the coin by the address.

That would make it much easier to avoid errors as well when we have several addresses and we need to transfer different coins.

Anyone knows of any way to quickly identify this?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: