Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:54:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Purchasing ASIC Mining Chips  (Read 1003 times)
tarik1969 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:20:53 PM

Getting quite frustrated with trying to acquire a mining machine in a reasonable timeframe which would allow a small period of time at the least to do some profitable mining. So I am thinking to myself, why not build your own. . I am not from a computer engineering background so what I am about to ask may sound stupid or it may not. You have companies like Global Foundaries that have produced ASIC chips for for certain bitcoin mining companies, so is it possible to purchase the same chips from them, if not, then what would the process be to have them design and manufacture ASIC chips for myself. I am not looking at doing this on a large scale and selling bitcoin miners to people who have place orders with me 6 months prior and are still waiting, just want to do it for myself.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction.

Thanks
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 06:43:20 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 07:02:28 PM by Colin Miner

I am not looking at doing this on a large scale
this is going to be your biggest problem. You can't be profitable in ASIC design with only small runs.

Getting quite frustrated with trying to acquire a mining machine in a reasonable timeframe which would allow a small period of time at the least to do some profitable mining.
The companies making chips are not delaying on purpose, its take lots of R&D to get an ASIC built for you.

The ASICs that have been already made (55nm) are not going to be profitable by the time all the work on new hardware to get them running.

Have a look at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325181.0 for information about the Hive & Wasp Prototype Development which may give you some help.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=422243.40 - The Wasp Project Collective Information thread.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
tarik1969 (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:14:42 AM

Ok. Why can't one just buy the ASICs that have already been designed, then by the PCBs to accompany them and the other parts, ie. PSU, coolers, etc. The big question is, can I approach Global Foundaries and ask to buy 100 of the ASIC chips manufctured for someone other company and then approach the PCB manufacturer and buy the same boards manufactured for that chip. Don't want to reinvent the wheel, just want to purchase some.

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:41:51 AM

Ok. Why can't one just buy the ASICs that have already been designed, then by the PCBs to accompany them and the other parts, ie. PSU, coolers, etc. The big question is, can I approach Global Foundaries and ask to buy 100 of the ASIC chips manufctured for someone other company and then approach the PCB manufacturer and buy the same boards manufactured for that chip. Don't want to reinvent the wheel, just want to purchase some.

What your asking is for the Fab to steal their clients IP and sell it to you.  It is not going to happen bro a fab would go out of business if they ever tried to do this not to mention legal issues.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:04:39 AM

Ok. Why can't one just buy the ASICs that have already been designed, then by the PCBs to accompany them and the other parts, ie. PSU, coolers, etc.

here you go, cheap as chips http://btcgarden.com//productsDetail.do?id=107

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:07:16 AM

Ok. Why can't one just buy the ASICs that have already been designed, then by the PCBs to accompany them and the other parts, ie. PSU, coolers, etc.

Whose PCB are you using?

$ / GH/s after you get the board made?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:07:59 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 03:54:44 AM by Anotheranonlol

Whose PCB are you using?

$ / GH/s after you get the board made?

https://github.com/btcgarden/btcgarden/tree/master/HASH_BOARD-20131009
no sense to even calculate $ /GH

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:12:24 AM

Twice now I have bought bare chips to have them built into miners, and both times it has been a disaster with delivery coming way too late to be even close to profitable.

Buying ready-to-go miners is definitely the better way to go.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:14:39 AM

Twice now I have bought bare chips to have them built into miners, and both times it has been a disaster with delivery coming way too late to be even close to profitable.

Buying ready-to-go miners is definitely the better way to go.

Faults lay where?

Chips supplier or Fabricator?

And it is always important $ / Gh/s at the end of the process. That is critical for determining the end game if your buying and fabricating as that was the OP. Yes much better to get in stock miners when / if available at best price.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
tarik1969 (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:53:58 AM

Thanks for your feedback. Question answered. I was not sure if there where any intellectual property issues, however, seems like there is. Would be nice to know someone on the inside though. Even when you think about it and do the calculations, if you had to invest $2-3mill into the project and where able to produce thousands of 500 GH/s chips, the return would be amazing. I pull investors into residential building projects which I manage and cost around the $5-10 mill mark, and the project after all stock is sold will yeild about a 15-20 % profit margin after tax. You can invest less than half of that into ASIC chip production and fabrication of miners and be making a shitload more than any construction project in a much shorter time period and with a 1/10th of the stress.

Any investors out there?Huh?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: