Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:00:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using graphical patterns like swipe patterns as paper/brainwallets  (Read 1696 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 05:25:16 PM

One year ago I created a contest in this forum for the creation of an app in a graphical programming language called LabVIEW.
The prize was 5 BTC but due to the explosion of bitcoin I am coming to terms with the only participant I got to pay  him $100 USD and close/terminate the contest.

You can download the solution on the thread at:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137197.0

This actually gave me the idea of creating paper/brainwallets using patterns resembling a bit the "swipe patterns"
used for password on android.

You just need to get the LabVIEW software and run the main.vi app and boom you have an offline calculator to create your graphical paper/brainwallets.

You just need to toogle the 256 boolean buttons with a pattern that you cannot forget and load your new bitcoin address and you are good to go!

It is not as secure as using a completly random private key without any graphical pattern. But if you use it wisely and with some complex patterns it can get very secure.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:17:43 PM

This is a really really cool idea. I like it Smiley
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:54:58 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 07:10:35 PM by odolvlobo

The problem you must solve is how to generate a pattern that can represent a large number of keys without being too long or requiring too much precision to be memorized.

I don't think that the patterns in your first example can be memorized. There are just too many details that must be recalled precisely. These images may be more easily recalled than a string of random letters and numbers, but not much more.

In order to prevent generating a key that is trivial to guess in your swipe suggestion, a swipe pattern would have to be very long. That would also make it difficult to memorize.

I would like to suggest a system that consists of random selections from a large collection of unique and meaningful images -- basically "correct horse battery staple" using images.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 07:26:10 PM

I don't think that the patterns in your first example can be memorized.

Because you can craft it to something on your mind it gets easier.
Chinese people may find it easier, though...

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:56:02 PM

i think the kewl thing now is saving your blockchain.info restore code in a PGP riddle encrypted 7 times
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: