Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:37:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Arbitrage  (Read 1755 times)
smashpt (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Wassup?

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:59:39 PM

Hello Fellas,

I'm 'new' in Bitcoin Market's so I needed to ask you a question that I got about BTC Arbitrage.

I wanna do BTC Arbitrage from BTC-E to another BTC Market which the price is higher than the btc-e. So, I would buy btc at 'small price' on btc-e and sell it later on another market at higher price. But, after sell the BTC at higher price, I need to withdraw it in real cash and spend it later on btc-e again, aight?

Sorry, if it makes no-sense or whatever, but since I'm a beginner, I need to learn Smiley
Thanks
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:16:20 PM

Search "arbitrage" on this forum and you will find a lot of threads referencing this. I'm assuming you probably mean that you want to send it to Gox where the price is way higher. People have been having problems getting money off of that site for quite awhile now.
smashpt (OP)

Wassup?

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:21:58 PM

Search "arbitrage" on this forum and you will find a lot of threads referencing this. I'm assuming you probably mean that you want to send it to Gox where the price is way higher. People have been having problems getting money off of that site for quite awhile now.
I didn't mentioned Gox because of that, and also they are with delay for validating accounts. But i will search here on forum. Thanks m8 Smiley
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:42:09 PM

I didn't mentioned Gox because of that, and also they are with delay for validating accounts. But i will search here on forum. Thanks m8 Smiley

no problem.  Arbitrage is a great idea in theory, but the timing has to be perfect, and often times while you are sitting there hitting refresh over and over (waiting for transaction to confirm), the price will shift and you will lost the profit margin that you wanted, since it's not like a mortgage interest rate that you can lock for any period of time...
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:18:36 PM

I must have the most posts for a "newbie" on this forum lol. I think I am stuck as newbie forever!
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 07:29:47 PM

You need to consider the delay involved with transferring coins from one exchange to another.  It becomes risky business then.

smashpt (OP)

Wassup?

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:04:24 PM

You need to consider the delay involved with transferring coins from one exchange to another.  It becomes risky business then.

Yea that's one point also. It's like 30 min - 1 hour to transfer btc's between one website to another.

But, BTC Arbitrage, still can be profitable without mt.gox?
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:07:38 PM

If you're waiting to transfer coins when doing arbitrage, then you're doing it wrong. You need to have fiat-money on the cheap exchange and coins on the expensive exchange and make the 2 trades (buy low, sell high) as close to eachother as possible. Any delay means you're exposing yourself to exchange-rate fluctuations (which can be beneficial or detrimental).

The opportunities for arbitrage are very, very minimal.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 08:11:21 PM

If you're waiting to transfer coins when doing arbitrage, then you're doing it wrong. You need to have fiat-money on the cheap exchange and coins on the expensive exchange and make the 2 trades (buy low, sell high) as close to eachother as possible. Any delay means you're exposing yourself to exchange-rate fluctuations (which can be beneficial or detrimental).

Unless you live close to an Bitcoin ATM.
smashpt (OP)

Wassup?

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:28:51 PM

Sad I though I could make some profit with that, but it's hard nowadays then...
Bitcoin ATM would be awesome to do that kind of thing's. argh

Activity: 144

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:27:48 PM

A Bitcoin ATM is not going to sell at a price that can be appreciably arbitraged unless its operator feels like giving away money.
vadoff

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:34:17 PM

Markets with higher prices almost always have a reason for it.
Low trade volume, large delays in cashing out (weeks to even over a month), caps on how much you can cash out per day/month, etc.
Some exchanges also impose fees on cashing out (1-2%).

With such large delays in between reinvestments, there's also a chance that bitcoins could go up or down 20%+.
Meaning a lot of missed chances at potential huge profits that you would've had otherwise.

As quoted, arbitrage is like picking up nickels in front of steamrollers. You can make some small profits, but there's a chance you'll be crushed.
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 02:00:01 AM

yea the arbitrage window has pretty much closed up in past 2 months

techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:13:58 AM

This is probably the best advice. Every other person mentioning other exchange is a load of crap.

What good is money, when its tied up at an exchange waiting for like 3 months..

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 02:09:12 PM

A Bitcoin ATM is not going to sell at a price that can be appreciably arbitraged unless its operator feels like giving away money.

The Bitcoin ATM Has a Dirty Secret: It Needs a Chaperone
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/01/bitcoin_atm/
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:17:35 PM

Yes, the above is one of the ways you could effectively arbitrage. I have seen the margins evaporate so many times while I was waiting for bitcoin or litecoin network confirmations.
Bitvik

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:46:06 PM

I had also looked at bitcoin arbitrage between the various exchanges (especially vis-a-vis Mt.Gox), but it is really difficult to withdraw USD from Mt.Gox (5-6 week delays) and the exchange rate and wire transfer fees would cut into any price differentials. The other western bitcoin exchanges are much closer in price so very difficult to make any significant arbitrage profits unless you have a vast sum of working capital.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:14:30 PM

This thread is kind of an oxy moron where it is posted (in "beginners help").  In my opinion, arbitrage shouldn't be attempted by beginners
Zickafa

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 08:24:50 AM

The opportunities for arbitrage are very minimal unless you live close to an Bitcoin ATM.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: