Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:30:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU or ASICs?  (Read 388 times)
jings007 (OP)

Activity: 174
Merit: 7

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 04:33:40 AM

If you are confused between ASICs mining and GPU?

GPU mining is safe for all miners, why? beacause if the mining no longer profitable in future you can sold it  atleast 50% of the value. While The ASICs have zero value, But ASICs mining is for the risk takers and provide 3 times more profits than GPU mining, it produce more heat and noise so you need to separate room for this.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
madnessteat
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1948

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 09:08:15 AM

Positive aspects of ASiCs:
1. payback times faster
2. less power consumption
3. takes up less space

Negative sides of ASiCs:
1. noise
2. difficult to sell
3. no normal warranty

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3724
Merit: 1708

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 09:41:39 AM
Merited by suchmoon (5)

1. payback times faster
3. takes up less space

Negative sides of ASiCs:
1. noise
2. difficult to sell
3. no normal warranty

The Positive aspects of yours aren't necessarily true.

The payback times are not always faster. And you also need to take into account custom fees when you order from the manufacteur.

Same with the power consumption, if you go for an Antminer S9 they pretty much use crazy amounts of power, no GPU rig would use that much power unless its was old technology.

But you are correct in the sense that they do take up less space and less clutter.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
xlm19877

Activity: 140
Merit: 20

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 09:47:35 AM

the better you buy mix
gpus + ASIC if you can '

today the all not give you good profit

the gpus can sale it if you stop and have warranty more than 1 year

ASIC only have 3 month warranty and you can not sale if mining stop
PRC_May

Activity: 224
Merit: 15

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 10:23:09 AM

bro

gpus is your way

gpus His voice is not annoying and can you use a lot off algorithm 

GPUS Do not produce high heat like ASIC

gpus can sale it at any time not like ASIC difficult to sell
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2018, 11:50:07 AM

1. payback times faster
3. takes up less space

Negative sides of ASiCs:
1. noise
2. difficult to sell
3. no normal warranty

This is very subjective. It will depend on the actual model of the ASIC you have. While some ASICs are extremely profitable, there are also some ASICS that consume more power than they are worth. The same is true with with GPUs you just have to find what is most efficient.

On the negative side, it is also important to note that:
-ASICs can only mine a specific algorithm. Once a coin forks, that ASIC is useless.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Gornidah

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 12:51:54 PM

GPU for the home miner, Asics for professionals.
 I had both, and in my opinion Asics are almost set and forget, my s7's and s5's ran for months without any problem or intervention.
GPU rigs are fun to build but a pain to maintain ( until you fine tune them, that would take time).

So, for more than 20 rigs i would choose Asics.

manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 01:30:52 PM

both have advantages/disadvantages of each, as long as can profitable why noy have both.every miner has perceptions, predictions, and calculations.

tufail_74

Activity: 72
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 01:35:29 PM

GPU is more of secure investment than asic.
i have both and these days when crypto is down, GPU still making reasonable while i have to shutdown asic due to very low profitability.
Geraldo

Activity: 574
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 02:01:38 PM

I had both, and in my opinion Asics are almost set and forget, my s7's and s5's ran for months without any problem or intervention.
GPU rigs are fun to build but a pain to maintain ( until you fine tune them, that would take time).

I like the statement above.  Wink

Personally, I'm GPU miner. I had leave ASICs a few years ago (my last ASIC is Antminer S2), that Isn't mean GPUs rig more profitable than ASICs. Both have N factor that we have zero control over it.

Let say:
Electricity cost,
Coin Prices,
Difficulty,
and some unpredictable thing.

(GPU / ASIC) optimization and profitability will depend on "whose that behind the machine." IMHO

A miners passion also affect to which machine that more suitable and explorable for us. Ask yourself, which type of miner you are? Then you can decide to choose which machine that you need.

We can compromise on another thing, such as:
Noise: many ways to reduce noise,
Heat: It was not a big deal, an even DIY cooling system can handle it. Be creative,
Limited Space: If we are creative enough, we can handle this.
and so on...!  Wink
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 02:08:32 PM

GPU is more of secure investment than asic.
i have both and these days when crypto is down, GPU still making reasonable while i have to shutdown asic due to very low profitability.
That's one of the reasons why you should choose GPU/ASIC. I have a mining rig and ASIC but i have some strategy when buying ASIC at moment crypto price is on top then I "push" ASIC to get 3x profit from ROI and from that profit is used to buy part by part mining rig.

For now, I doubt to buy both

ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 03:20:31 PM

well, there are a lot differen points  view for this question, and i guess people will never be agree.. but for me, gpus are better, and the only reason it is because they are more flexible, also it is easier to sell them after the mining is over
ajqjjj

Activity: 1498
Merit: 507

Not your Keys, not your Bitcoin

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 04:46:32 PM

GPU mining is safe for all miners, why? beacause if the mining no longer profitable in future you can sold it  atleast 50% of the value. While The ASICs have zero value, But ASICs mining is for the risk takers and provide 3 times more profits than GPU mining, it produce more heat and noise so you need to separate room for this.
You are right, GPU mining is better than the ASICs mining but I am also suggested to GPU mining only because it is the updated technology and it is stable profit and long life. I am invested in GPU mining and 6 months warranty for graphic card and 2 years warranty in processor but important thing is resell value is depends on the mining profit so we should buy know it will also make profit in future because current scenario mining profit is little less and this profit is depends on the market price so Bitcoin is going to moon automatically we will earn more in mining.

-support Bitcoin Community Bitcointalk.org-
Always verify wallet to store your Bitcoin
Donations are open, send PM
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 04:31:15 PM

If
Mining identified with investment, there should be a few main elements of investment

Reward of investment
On crypto mining, this point may relate to current income (mining result), which machines better related to this point? Ask your self, cause the answer would be different, depends on what type of people you are.

My personal answer should be "ASICs" but in fact, I didn't use ASICs, it because I like to explore and do an experiment, and for me GPU more explorable.

Return and risk of investment
Return and risk can't be separated. On crypto mining, a return was relative (related to the market condition that fluctuates), but yes we can calculate the estimate of return. In my opinion, as miners, we also need to pay more attention on a risk. Less risk, equal to more chance on our return. In this context, this risk can be anything. Devices life-time, disturbance (error on devices), Devices prices, Operational cost, etc. So, which machine that you think safer at this point?

Time of investment
Basically, Investment is long-term nature. That means you need the devices that have good life-time or you must be able to regenerate the machine that can only uses for a short time. It will depend on you.

But
Whatever it is, as my previous comment above, whichever devices that use, it will depend on "whose behind the machine"  Wink
TwisterPipister

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 04:52:07 PM

You are right, GPU mining is better than the ASICs mining but I am also suggested to GPU mining only because it is the updated technology and it is stable profit and long life. I am invested in GPU mining and 6 months warranty for graphic card and 2 years warranty in processor but important thing is resell value is depends on the mining profit so we should buy know it will also make profit in future because current scenario mining profit is little less and this profit is depends on the market price so Bitcoin is going to moon automatically we will earn more in mining.

Do you have 6 months warranty on cards? Did you buy mining edition? I try to buy cards with 36 months of warranty. In general, ASICs are evil, they kill decentralization, and take away profit from the poor majority and giving it to the wealthy minority.

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™
┨PRE-SALE  : 25th MAY - 25th JUNE ▌MAIN-SALE: 26th JUNE - 03rd JULY┠
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Telegram Medium Reddit
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 08:30:59 AM

In general, ASICs are evil, they kill decentralization, and take away profit from the poor majority and giving it to the wealthy minority.

You must be an ASIC hater!  Cheesy

In my opinion, ASIC itself isn't that terrible as you said if we were objective and we were doing fair compare. The one whose may you noted as evil must be the ACISs producer (with some hidden mining, sold used ASICs or whatever).  Wink
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 08:48:27 AM

The asic miner should be good as it consumes less power than GPU. But I still support GPU mining as I started mining ETH/ZEC and keep mining it with my mini farm (RX580 + P106-100...). The thing I would not support asic mining is, just in my thought: Bitmain only releases asic miner out to market if they get in hand another asic miners which has 2X more powerful, let see what happen with XMR and XMO for your references. If I get no profit any more on mining ETH/ZEC, I would switch to mine another asic-resistance coin, I would not get in the races which are controlled by Bitmain.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 09:19:41 AM

If I get no profit any more on mining ETH/ZEC, I would switch to mine another asic-resistance coin, I would not get in the races which are controlled by Bitmain.

That was what miners should do. Super agree with that!  Wink

As miners, we had to face a few things that we can't control, such us ASICs expansion. So, focus on what we can do are the best thing that we can to for survive on this crypto mining world.  Smiley
ciciteng

Activity: 168
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:44:03 AM

Best advice; how about forget both and buy the coins instead?  Grin
If you good at market prediction and willing to take a risk, it will be much profitable for you and less hustle and bustle.
Mining is not an easy game either, so you need to consider how much time you have to spend on this as well.
2stout

Activity: 2324
Merit: 585

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:49:02 PM

Perhaps FPGA should be in the conversation as they will no doubt continue to pick up steam, will take a little time though.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: