Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 02:26:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone who uses Linux for crypto currency should use Arch Linux  (Read 5135 times)
Kenshin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:50:00 PM

Everyone who uses Linux for crypto currency should use Arch Linux.  Cool

I was an Ubuntu and Debian linux user, due to the privacy issues of Ubuntu. I have converted to becoming an Arch Linux user. After being an Ubuntu and Debian user for over 20 years. I discovered that the compiling of new altcoin and other crypto currency wallet a pain in the butt.

I have only being a Arch Linux user for  2 days, and I can stay this wallet installing is a breeze. The AUR has all the wallets no matter how exotic, they have it. And just downloading from AUR and build the wallet. All is done without any problem.

Everyone who uses Linux should consider using Arch Linux as their main choice when use for crypto currency. Also Arch is total open source, unlike Ubuntu, which is sponser by a South African company which have closed sourcecode. Also Ubuntu have privacy problem, as it send information back to their company without your consent.

That is my 2 cents.  Cool
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:35:14 PM

I was an Ubuntu and Debian linux user, due to the privacy issues of Ubuntu. I have converted to becoming an Arch Linux user.

What privacy issues?
Cytality

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:55:21 PM

Everyone who uses Linux for crypto currency should use Arch Linux.  Cool

I was an Ubuntu and Debian linux user, due to the privacy issues of Ubuntu. I have converted to becoming an Arch Linux user. After being an Ubuntu and Debian user for over 20 years. I discovered that the compiling of new altcoin and other crypto currency wallet a pain in the butt.

I have only being a Arch Linux user for  2 days, and I can stay this wallet installing is a breeze. The AUR has all the wallets no matter how exotic, they have it. And just downloading from AUR and build the wallet. All is done without any problem.

Everyone who uses Linux should consider using Arch Linux as their main choice when use for crypto currency. Also Arch is total open source, unlike Ubuntu, which is sponser by a South African company which have closed sourcecode. Also Ubuntu have privacy problem, as it send information back to their company without your consent.

That is my 2 cents.  Cool

What the hell is easier than:

Code:
sudo apt-get install bitcoin-qt

Grin

Also, Ubuntu is completely open source and I have no idea why you would think otherwise. The word "ubuntu" is an African word and was the inspiration for which the software Ubuntu is developed after. Canonical is the main developer behind Ubuntu and is primarily UK-based. The man who started Canonical, Mark Shuttleworth, is a south-African entrepreneur, however him and the fact that Ubuntu is an African word are really the only two ties to Ubuntu and South Africa. The Canonical headquarters in located in London.

It should also be noted, for those considering a switch, that although Arch Linux is good, for some novice users it can be a more complicated install. It is also not Debian-based, which Ubuntu is. Arch is based on Gentoo and used Pacman instead of the more common Aptitude (i.e., apt-get commands). So performing terminal commands will be different and certain things will need to be re-learned.

As for the Ubuntu privacy concerns, what the OP is referring to is usage statistics and error reporting, which literally EVERY operating system from Windows to Mac has. The usage statistics that Canonical monitors have nothing to do with your privacy, it's not like they're logging everything you type. Error reporting is very common as well. Both of these are able to be disabled on Ubuntu.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:00:20 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 12:48:39 PM by teukon

After being an Ubuntu and Debian user for over 20 years.

Somewhat doubtful.  20 years ago the Debian project constituted roughly 50 people.

Also Arch is total open source...

False.  Ubuntu's position on software liberty and privacy is weaker than Arch's; Debian's is stronger.
Kenshin (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:39:14 PM

This is the privacy issue.
http://www.esecurityplanet.com/network-security/eff-warns-of-major-ubuntu-privacy-issue.html

What the hell is easier than:

Code:
sudo apt-get install bitcoin-qt

Grin

In Arch Linux this is what you type
Code:
sudo pacman -S bitcoin-qt

It is much shorter.

And in Ubuntu and Debian
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

In Arch for the same command
Code:
sudo pacman -Syyu

Now isn't this command shorter?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:15:48 AM

Definitely shorter.  More time for watching cat videos.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Kenshin (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:34:25 PM

Definitely shorter.  More time for watching cat videos.

To install catcoin-qt in Arch Linux, you only need the following command

Code:
yaourt catcoin

In debian or ubuntu, you can't install catcoin-qt directly. You need to git clone, then qmake and then make. In Arch Linux, just that command as shown above. Much much shorter.
coinrevo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:40:06 PM

anyone using gentoo overlays?
Kenshin (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:12:34 PM

anyone using gentoo overlays?

I used Gentoo, because but the compiling is a really long process.
lonely@thetop

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:48:14 PM

Arguing about shorter commands? Not sure if troll.

(typing this on Arch)
Kenshin (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:40:58 PM

Arguing about shorter commands? Not sure if troll.

(typing this on Arch)

Good man, you are one of my comrade.  Cheesy
BTCWizard

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:15:19 AM

You should use whatever you like as long as it isn't Windows or MacOSX  Tongue

That said, I'm an Ubuntu user.
Ubuntu is fully opensource, what the hell are you talking about they use closed source?

The privacy issue with the dash is something you can easily turn off (the first thing I do). If you used Debian 20 years, clicking a button or completely remove the function through the terminal shouldn't be a problem I guess?

No problem with any wallet so far, I just compile them from source. I had one minor problem, which required me to change 3 little things in the .pro file.

I definitely believe you that Arch is great, but that's not a reason to spread bullshit about Ubuntu.
Kenshin (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:47:17 AM

Ubuntu is fully opensource, what the hell are you talking about they use closed source?

The privacy issue with the dash is something you can easily turn off (the first thing I do). If you used Debian 20 years, clicking a button or completely remove the function through the terminal shouldn't be a problem I guess?

No problem with any wallet so far, I just compile them from source. I had one minor problem, which required me to change 3 little things in the .pro file.

I definitely believe you that Arch is great, but that's not a reason to spread bullshit about Ubuntu.

[/quote

Maybe you missed this http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-moves-some-linux-development-inside-7000006069/
jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:27:29 AM

Debian was made to annoy us all.
BTCWizard

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:55:58 AM

Maybe you missed this http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-moves-some-linux-development-inside-7000006069/
It is still opensource if you make a small part of the os with a smaller team behind closed doors and releasing the sourcecode afterwards.  Undecided

Maybe you can say some development is more closed than Arch, but that's about it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: