Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:10:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Noble Prize Winner who predicted Housing Bubble: Bitcoin is a bubble for sure!  (Read 5675 times)
seldon

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:47:24 AM

There is no nobel price for economics.. there is only a price sponsored by a huge bank in sweden named after nobel
orly?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Memorial_Prize_in_Economic_Sciences

Did you click that link or just paste it? Smiley
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:37:50 AM

Bitcoin is currently in the ''return to normal/euphoria's last gasp'' phase.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:49:30 AM

Bwahahahahahahaha.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 08:14:39 AM

"Nobel Prize Winner"

stopped reading there

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:26:15 AM

"Nobel Prize Winner"

stopped reading there

Seriously. These ancient "acknowledgements" are exactly that...Ancient. Here's a protip to the old f**ks department: NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR S**T MEDALS ANYMORE.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:33:00 AM

The Nobel Laureate pronounced that bitcoin was a return to the dark ages because at present there is very little clarity surrounding the crypto currency.

Wow.  Pot meet Kettle.  Only an economist could think the alternative has more clarity than bitcoin.  Maybe it's because I have a CS degree and spent 5 minutes reading the Bitcoin whitepaper, and he only know economics.  In fact, he spent about a decade getting that all "clear". Roll Eyes

Both systems are machines.  Bitcoin just replaces the soft squishy parts with math.  This adds clarity, IMO, since the squishy parts are known for their fickleness.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 08:43:27 AM

There is no nobel price for economics.. there is only a price sponsored by a huge bank in sweden named after nobel
orly?

I did both, either way you are right that there isn't called something like a "Nobel price for economic sciences" but it isn't "only a price sponsored by a big bank in Sweden" either.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 08:44:54 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 08:56:29 AM by ElectricMucus

The Nobel Laureate pronounced that bitcoin was a return to the dark ages because at present there is very little clarity surrounding the crypto currency.

Wow.  Pot meet Kettle.  Only an economist could think the alternative has more clarity than bitcoin.  Maybe it's because I have a CS degree and spent 5 minutes reading the Bitcoin whitepaper, and he only know economics.  In fact, he spent about a decade getting that all "clear". Roll Eyes

Both systems are machines.  Bitcoin just replaces the soft squishy parts with math.  This adds clarity, IMO, since the squishy parts are known for their fickleness.

Since when does that make you qualified to comment on economic issues? And no just because it's easier for you to think about the financial industry as a machine doesn't make it right.
If you are a scientist you'd know that making statements about other fields outside your profession is not only frowned upon but also a very stupid thing to do.
seldon

Activity: 353

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:05:13 AM

orly?

I did both, either way you are right that there isn't called something like a "Nobel price for economic sciences" but it isn't "only a price sponsored by a big bank in Sweden" either.

Agreed, bit of drama added on my part.
knightcoin

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:21:51 AM

pure economics analysis guys have tendency to analyse bitcoin as financial instrument only therefore anything can be a bubble, they cant see bitcoin as a protocol but just in case they could see it... would be not surprise to me they also could argue that internet is a bubble as well ... 

An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:04:57 PM

would be not surprise to me they also could argue that internet is a bubble as well ... 
But, the internet was the prime example of bubble back in 2000, known as the .com-bubble. Even know, 10 years later Microsoft, is worth barely more than half of what it was worth back then. Sure, some stocks are worth quite a lot more than after the bubble bursting, but a lot of companies went bust.
So, who knows, in ten years time ... maybe BTC at $500, DOGE market cap at $2B, 90% of the alts gone forever. As the saying goes, those who dont remember history are doomed to repeat it. And there are a lot of similiarities. People investing money in all kinds of coins without even knowing what they are even supposed to be for, unwaivering faith in future possibilities and completely ignoring economical fundamental data.
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:07:36 PM

would be not surprise to me they also could argue that internet is a bubble as well ... 
But, the internet was the prime example of bubble back in 2000, known as the .com-bubble. Even know, 10 years later Microsoft, is worth barely more than half of what it was worth back then. Sure, some stocks are worth quite a lot more than after the bubble bursting, but a lot of companies went bust.
So, who knows, in ten years time ... maybe BTC at $500, DOGE market cap at $2B, 90% of the alts gone forever. As the saying goes, those who dont remember history are doomed to repeat it. And there are a lot of similiarities. People investing money in all kinds of coins without even knowing what they are even supposed to be for, unwaivering faith in future possibilities and completely ignoring economical fundamental data.

+1

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
FierceRadish

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:47:14 PM

+1

The Internet clearly wasn't a bubble.

Internet Companies circa 2000 clearly were.

So you need to decide, does Bitcoin have the radical disruption factor and potential permanence of the Internet, or the flash-in-the-pan "nothing really new here" of a Pets.com.

I'd say it's closer to the former than the latter.

knightcoin

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:49:12 PM

yep, but only if you see internet as a bunch of company's ...but if you see internet as a way to connect thousand of networks, billions hosts across the globe ..in my point of view is another thing ... but the bubble analogy can be applied to many things even our universe since the big bang is a bubble .. and by the way can start contract instead expand tomorrow ... who knows ?

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:52:48 PM

If mainstream media (including RT) wasn't hating on bitcoin I would be suspicious.

I'm grumpy!!
knightcoin

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:09:13 PM

+1

The Internet clearly wasn't a bubble.

Internet Companies circa 2000 clearly were.

So you need to decide, does Bitcoin have the radical disruption factor and potential permanence of the Internet, or the flash-in-the-pan "nothing really new here" of a Pets.com.

I'd say it's closer to the former than the latter.

Yes but one can argue that you mistake bitcoin with the protocol.

And for me the beauty of the bitcoin was to solve in elegant way the "consensus problem" in a distributed system ... that was a stroke of genius

Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 03:10:36 PM

If mainstream media (including RT) wasn't hating on bitcoin I would be suspicious.

+1

IF Obama suggested everyone to start investing into bitcoin I'd be definitely reaching for my tinfoil hat.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
bitleif

Activity: 351

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:28:20 PM

1. You are correct, there has never been a "nobel price" for economics, only a price "in memory of Alfred Nobel". The reason is that Nobel himself didn't think the field of economics was WORTHY of any price. Seeing the current state of economic theory it's hard not to agree with him.

2. If it WAS a Nobel price it still wouldn't mean anything. It just someone somewhere decided to give you some money. See some of the recent "peace price" awards for examples (Obama and the EU!? Really?). People put way too much emphasis on being "accepted" by authority.

3. Getting the price is no proof you're not a blithering idiot, see Paul Krugman.

4. Even if Shiller's price was legitimate, it doesn't mean he'll be correct about everything he'll ever says. Smart people are frequently wrong, as proven by the fact that smart people frequently DISAGREE about almost everything. They can't all be right.
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:32:02 PM

And for me the beauty of the bitcoin was to solve in elegant way the "consensus problem" in a distributed system ... that was a stroke of genius
And what happens to be if the next "stroke of genius" happens to be Proof-of-useful-work?
The internet is well and alive, Usenet fairly deserted and the Gopher protocol replaced some wierd little startup called Google. Nowadays the only part of the internet that most people know is the web. Well, "Web 2.0" as they call it.
"I tell ye, back in the days, it was madness. We were just wasting leccy on solving stupid crypto puzzles. And now? The CureForCancerCoin has already found treatments for 37 different variaties of cancer. Thanks to the SearchForFTLCoin the communication to mars takes less than a second. We used to have higher latency between Australia and the States often enough back then. Ah ye, CryptoCurrencies 1.0, what a waste. But we used to love em anyway."
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:37:42 PM

1. You are correct, there has never been a "nobel price" for economics, only a price "in memory of Alfred Nobel". The reason is that Nobel himself didn't think the field of economics was WORTHY of any price. Seeing the current state of economic theory it's hard not to agree with him.

2. If it WAS a Nobel price it still wouldn't mean anything. It just someone somewhere decided to give you some money. See some of the recent "peace price" awards for examples (Obama and the EU!? Really?). People put way too much emphasis on being "accepted" by authority.

3. Getting the price is no proof you're not a blithering idiot, see Paul Krugman.

4. Even if Shiller's price was legitimate, it doesn't mean he'll be correct about everything he'll ever says. Smart people are frequently wrong, as proven by the fact that smart people frequently DISAGREE about almost everything. They can't all be right.

It's prize, damn it. You americans totally forgot engrish by now.

i am satoshi
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: