Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:27:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Arbitrage between Exchanges in USD  (Read 1534 times)
uck (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:10:51 AM

With the everpresent price difference between MtGox and all the other exchanges in USD, is there no one on the planet that can come up with an arbitrage strategy to take advantage of this, (at the time of this writing 200$ per coin) price disparity and buy coins on the low exchanges on sell them on Mt Gox for Dollars until the low exchange price rises up and MtGox price drops, thus acheiving an equilibrium?  I know why US citizens can't do it, but citizens in other countries with supplies of USD should be eager to make a quick USD arbitrage haul, right?  this price difference needs to be much closer thru some sort of automated trading strategy that someone builds a bot for... If not, MtGox and the other exchanges might trade amongst themselves to make similar arbitrage profits.

Comments?

edit : no one on the planet, not no on on the planet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:07:23 AM

This question has been asked a thousand times before - getting fiat out of Gox is impossible, hence why the price is higher.
JMATTH33

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:14:15 AM

With the everpresent price difference between MtGox and all the other exchanges in USD, is there no one on the planet that can come up with an arbitrage strategy to take advantage of this, (at the time of this writing 200$ per coin) price disparity and buy coins on the low exchanges on sell them on Mt Gox for Dollars until the low exchange price rises up and MtGox price drops, thus acheiving an equilibrium?  I know why US citizens can't do it, but citizens in other countries with supplies of USD should be eager to make a quick USD arbitrage haul, right?  this price difference needs to be much closer thru some sort of automated trading strategy that someone builds a bot for... If not, MtGox and the other exchanges might trade amongst themselves to make similar arbitrage profits.

Comments?

Maybe MTGox do their own arbitrage, as they are probably the only people able to withdraw quickly from their own exchange? Buy coins from other exchanges and sell them on MtGox. Rinse and repeat.
danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:16:48 AM

This question has been asked a thousand times before - getting fiat out of Gox is impossible, hence why the price is higher.
This.  Also, arbitrage in Bitcoin is ("risk free" by definition) all but impossible at the moment unless you have millions in cash on more than one exchange.  Any trade that has a delay cannot be risk free.

techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:21:23 AM

Having to risk majority of the money and tied up, is not a way to go.

I`d probably invest in other areas. In my point of view arbitrage is impossible at this point.

uck (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:25:03 AM

Maybe MTGox do their own arbitrage, as they are probably the only people able to withdraw quickly from their own exchange? Buy coins from other exchanges and sell them on MtGox. Rinse and repeat.

perhaps is Gox is not doing this leads me to the only conclusion possible - that they really don't actually have the USD they claim, that perhaps back when they were the only exchange they inflated the number of bitcoins shown on the site, and now they can't pay those coins back...

just my .000002btc

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:17:59 AM

Comments?

Like you imagined you were the first person to think of this strategy? You are actually about the millionth. The very fact the huge price differential is there should have shown you IT DOESN'T WORK
uck (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:43:26 AM

But, if no one can withdraw money, except maybe yen, eventually gox will die a horrible death.  The price diff does not fix the problem.  Why is anyone still using them?

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:43:23 AM

But, if no one can withdraw money, except maybe yen, eventually gox will die a horrible death.  The price diff does not fix the problem.  Why is anyone still using them?

Yen is starting to be delayed by 10-20 days ..... only noobs attracted by lazy newspaper articles are using them. They have no idea the pain they are bringing on themselves.
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:03:26 AM

The fiat withdrawal problem has been there for months, and I have been waiting to see the death of mtgox for months. Tongue

BTW, we have btc withdrawal problem in mtgox as well now.

There are at least 3 threads on this issue.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=324918.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=429769.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=431117.0
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:30:59 AM

The fiat withdrawal problem has been there for months, and I have been waiting to see the death of mtgox for months. Tongue

BTW, we have btc withdrawal problem in mtgox as well now.

There are at least 3 threads on this issue.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=324918.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=429769.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=431117.0

Plus SEPA delays for up to 3 months, plus Japanese withdrawal queues getting longer. The end is nigh.
jcoin200

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:45:20 PM

The only time I have seen discrepancies that you could make money on is when the price is moving fast.  Like when it was rising in November, I saw $100 differences btw CampBX and Coinbase.  It would have been possible to buy at CampBX, then transfer and sell at Coinbase for profit.  Now that the price has more or less settled, I haven't seen the opportunity again.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 07:28:09 PM

perhaps is Gox is not doing this leads me to the only conclusion possible - that they really don't actually have the USD they claim, that perhaps back when they were the only exchange they inflated the number of bitcoins shown on the site, and now they can't pay those coins back...

just my .000002btc

If Mtgox was doing the arbitrage the price on Mtgox would go down on Mtgox

Aren't some withdrawals fast? I read that withdraws to Japanese banks used to be proceed fast so they should arbitrate crazily

jonanon

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:42:31 PM

just my .000002btc

If Mtgox was doing the arbitrage the price on Mtgox would go down on Mtgox

Aren't some withdrawals fast? I read that withdraws to Japanese banks used to be proceed fast so they should arbitrate crazily

It is taking longer to withdraw to Japanese banks - more and more delays - it has already been posted above.
teramit
Legendary

Activity: 1870
Merit: 1387

The Last Cryptocoin Burner

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:57:57 PM

i can buy btc locally 775$ i am open to any arbitrage option if you want to buy btc from me i can sell you 800$ i got more then 150btc
price wont be change for a month i think.
more then 1 btc trade is rational.i can sell via wire transfer.
if you think about paypal it adds %6 which makes 848$ and its not a good price i already sell with that price on localbitcoins if i found someone.
if you think to buy btc from me send p.m.
i interest to sell 5-10 btc at a time but you can start with 1 btc.
wire transfer causes you 30-50$ so at least 3 btc you should buy, it is up to you.
i can sell through localbitcoins and crypto thrift i have feedbacks there.
if you have any offer for other transfer places i am open.
btc price may change everyday but local price is same nearly 1 month., so my price is nearly rigit.
if btc rises more local price stays same so my price is same.follow this message price will be updated.
jonanon

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:25:27 PM

i can buy btc locally 775$ i am open to any arbitrage option if you want to buy btc from me i can sell you 800$ i got more then 150btc
price wont be change for a month i think.
more then 1 btc trade is rational.i can sell via wire transfer.
if you think about paypal it adds %6 which makes 848$ and its not a good price i already sell with that price on localbitcoins if i found someone.
if you think to buy btc from me send p.m.
i interest to sell 5-10 btc at a time but you can start with 1 btc.
wire transfer causes you 30-50$ so at least 3 btc you should buy, it is up to you.
i can sell through localbitcoins and crypto thrift i have feedbacks there.
if you have any offer for other transfer places i am open.
btc price may change everyday but local price is same nearly 1 month., so my price is nearly rigit.
if btc rises more local price stays same so my price is same.follow this message price will be updated.

This is not arbitrage, thought I'd be interested please post proof of address containing 150  BTC
teramit
Legendary

Activity: 1870
Merit: 1387

The Last Cryptocoin Burner

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:41:08 PM

what will you do with my btc i wont sell them all i will sell 5-10 btc then buy again
my btc's big part is at cex.io but if yo want to see any proof of my transaction i can send you my paypal btc sales.thats is more effective i think.
but i send my cex profile
i also have in btc-e ltc and nmc
some in localbitcoins like 10 and sold 5 last week
a little at local site.
[img=http://s27.postimg.org/ikylyxlxr/btccex.jpg]http://postimg.org/image/ikylyxlxr/][img=http://s27.postimg.org/ikylyxlxr/btccex.jpg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: