Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:25:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP PLEASE, DigitalOcean (You Owe ~$700) X4  (Read 3069 times)
JohnnyPierce (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:27:57 AM

I've been mining DogeCoin with DigitalOcean for a little over 3 weeks, I initially created 4 accounts, 2 with disposable Virtual Credit Cards and the other 2 with Real credit cards, mine and my wifes.

Today I logged in to one of my accounts and my chin hit the floor when I saw that I owed $710 in expenses, I logged in to the other 3 and similar stats. In total across all 4 accounts I owe $3240!!!!!!!!

I highly doubt that 2 of those accounts can be traced back to me considering that I used virtual credit cards that I purchased online, but the other 2 are personal credit cards!!

What do I do, obviously I CANNOT pay this amount, I profitted some 0.3 Bitcoins from all my mining in 3 weeks!!,

If I cancel my credit cards today will digitalocean be able to charge me??
jongameson

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:36:45 AM

pay up, fat man
rick2718

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:41:54 AM

If you feel you have been ripped off, you can contest the charges
by calling your cc provider.
JohnnyPierce (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:49:16 AM

I haven't. I just misread them when I first login.

I cannot afford those charges, my credit cards are already at their limit, in fact I'm not that worried of the fact that they can charge me, because they can't, if they try to charge that ammount, they will be declined, HOWEVER, I'm fearful for any legal consequences!
rick2718

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:06:07 AM

Getting your legal team to send out threatening letters may be manageable, but
the cost of actual pursuit is very high.

filing in a court, at a distance, seeing it through to a judgement, THEN starting to try to
collect... speaking from experience, I can tell you that's a lesson you only need to learn once.

The vast majority of unpaid charges are just written off and not pursued. That is
the case when a business has the resources to bother (but won't because it is rarely
cost effective to do so). When the company is small the likelihood of an ultimately
successful pursuit is near zero.

they may try, and re-try charging the card in the future to capture (more of) the payment,
but you can control this as you already suggested.

this is of course only my opinion. good luck to you.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:19:44 AM

So basically you decided to max out your credit cards to mine dogecoins on digital ocean, and it didnt work out, and now you come to us all like

And we were all like

JohnnyPierce (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:23:36 AM

Thank you for your kind and enlightning words!

I'm just a newbie of all things bitcoin and I'm just trying to make some money from the cryptomarket bubble, I lost the dot com bubble back in the 90's, I wan't to try and profiting something from this one!

Anyway, is there any alternative to DigitalOcen (free or cheap VPS or dedicated servers) or is it the case that if I want to truly mine, my only choice is to invest in hardware?
Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:25:35 AM

I'm sorry... What? You rented high end server equipment to mine a Scrypt coin, and now you're asking us how you can skip out on your bill?

I'm going to recommend to pay up, and stay out of the mining business. You need to be a bit more aware of your actions and consequences to play in this sandbox.
Cheshyr

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:27:51 AM

Thank you for your kind and enlightning words!

I'm just a newbie of all things bitcoin and I'm just trying to make some money from the cryptomarket bubble, I lost the dot com bubble back in the 90's, I wan't to try and profiting something from this one!

Anyway, is there any alternative to DigitalOcen (free or cheap VPS or dedicated servers) or is it the case that if I want to truly mine, my only choice is to invest in hardware?
Scrypt is best mined using AMD video cards. You could have purchased 10 of them for the price of your rented servers, and mined over 10x the coins. There is a lot of information out there. I would suggest a couple weeks of reading before you reinvest, if you must do so.
JohnnyPierce (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:30:28 AM

Well, I didn't actually spent any money, I created a debt to digitalocean, but my credit cards were already maxed out, I just don't have the money to purchase dozens of AMD cards.
rick2718

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:03:11 AM

>> Anyway, is there any alternative to DigitalOcen (free or cheap VPS or dedicated servers)

all judgmental notions aside, I have to agree with the other poster that
spending some time looking into this would be wise before launching into it
again.

Why would anybody, anywhere, ever provide you with free profit?  the answer of
course is that they won't. If you spend money to mine, you will be taking the risk
that future gain will provide your return.... or perhaps I am the one being naive, since your
technique so far has yielded 0.3 btc with no actual payment on your part.  perhaps you
can just rinse and repeat and hope you never get caught (ok, a teeny bit of judgmental language)

mocolicious

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:04:21 AM

ok now.... What did we learn?

BTC:1GGZFEkUqSqhQSKcySHteuctLUtkCYzpTa
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:25:18 AM

I would cancel your credit card, and tell the bank hat you accidentally gave out personal info to a known scammer on a website or something like that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: