Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:39:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Warning: Strange Trades at MtGox  (Read 939 times)
general.crackdown (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:40:23 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 08:05:21 PM by general.crackdown

I'm not really a computer person but have been trading stocks/shares for years and I am slightly worried by the trading patterns at MtGox. Here is a graph of recent trades:

http://img159.imagevenue.com/loc223/th_766425367_marketmanipulation_122_223lo.jpg

Within a time frame of minutes prices have risen and fallen between $4 and $10, that is prices rose within minutes to +250% and then almost instantly fell -60%. With a market as liquid as that of MtGox and also with the wide market depth this makes no sense at all and raises questions of either:

1) Physical market manipulation by MtGox.
2) Erroneous trade reporting by MtGox in order to distort market sentiment.
3) Insider trading.

I for one have money in MtGox - that is I have transferred real money into their accounts and thus have a binding legal relationship with them within the UK.

In the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 it states that services must be 'carried out with reasonable care and skill'. Unless MtGox start to behave in a proper and controlled fashion I will be taking legal action against them to redeem my initial funds.

The problem is here that we have a group of cowboys trying to run a virtual commodity exchange who quite clearly have no grounding in the matters which should concern them. I can accept that most start ups such as MtGox may initially encounter problems and I accounted for this during my initial entrance into the market. However MtGox shows no sign of improving and as time passes appears to be reporting increased amounts of erroneous trading patterns. I am highly concerned and have sent a copy of my protest to MtGox.

There is a very good reason that the worlds stock exchanges have regulators.

I suggest the folks at MtGox wake upto the fact that this is no longer a game: they are taking real money from real people and putting themselves in a highly precarious position.

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gen. specific

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 08:03:07 PM

Its a game to me

are they hiring market makers?
general.crackdown (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 08:06:13 PM

I warn you now that when people start taking money from people it ceases to be a 'game'.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 12:03:06 AM

That might be market manipulation of sorts, but I wouldn't say any of it is from any mtgox malfeasance. The BTC market depth is not that great. If you have $100,000, you can do the same kind of trading and make wacky looking graphs on MtGox too.

Look at the 2010 stock market flash crash, some $20 stocks hit a penny and others went to $100,000 within seconds from computerized trading.
Syberia

Activity: 15

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:02:07 AM

Not quite sure what it was, but I had a sell order at $12 which wasn't executed even though the graph shows the price hitting $16 yesterday...  now it's still back to $7+ if I decide to sell my $4 bitcoins...
BitJack21

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 03:15:31 AM

It was bugs in their software.
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:23:22 AM

perhaps it has a little bit to do with the amount of bitcoins that are in circulation. say john doe makes a trade to buy bitcoins on Mt. Gox for .50 c less than he could have on tradehill. when he made that trade on mt gox, It drove the price up on that exchange, but he sold high on tradehill, making the price drop on that exchange. could be that someone made a larger than normal volume of trade on one site, to sell for a profit on another exchange. am i making any sense?

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:53:17 PM

Yeah that day of market movement was wierd. Not sure what bot would have bought at $12.5 in the same 24 hours period as it was $5 earlier.
mtgoxCharlie

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 08:15:47 AM

This problem was due to an password leak on bitcointalk.org and user that had the same information from this site had been compromised and caused these false

trading to pull the bitcoin price to an strange numbers.  That is why, I usually create an new name and a password for each website that I sign up with just to be on the

safer side.   Grin 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: