Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:33:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why use multiple adresses per wallet?  (Read 624 times)
jproulx (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 11:24:15 PM

I understand why it is useful to have multiple wallets, but why have such a large key pool in each? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 11:26:14 PM

It is easier to track transactions between multiple contacts that way.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
jproulx (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 11:46:09 PM

so it's purely for accounting, if this address received payment I know it was from the one person I gave it to. I suppose since all transactions are public there is presumably some privacy enhancement as well (but I suspect that is harder to achieve than most people assume).
Does using new or old addresses have any impact on transacion processing (where age may be taken as either time since first use or number or transactions on a given address)?
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 12:01:29 AM

All addresses are equal in the eyes of bitcoin, regardless of their age, though transaction processing can be sped up by paying a voluntary fee for your transaction. Some pools do not pick up no-fee transactions, and therefore they can take a while to process.

It is my understanding that re-using an address affects your privacy by providing another correlation point for someone gathering aggregate data on you. If you are doing something nefarious, keep it in mind, but for everyday users, it isn't going to make much difference.

Also, you hit the nail on the head as far as the multiple addresses. If ten people owe you 1btc, it'll be a lot easier to know who paid and who didn't if you give them each an address, vs. giving a single address then doing a bunch of additional bookwork.
jproulx (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 03:18:47 AM

ah just found the canonical thread here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=266.0 after figuring out how to reencode some broken old links from when the forum was at bitcoin.org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: