Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:20:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] bitaddress.org Safe JavaScript Bitcoin address/private key  (Read 152880 times)
eiprol

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

bitarchitect

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:16:48 PM

Using tablet... i am unable to enter any characters into textbox. Keyboard does not appear on the screen no matter what i do.

If i use some other input form on some other webpage... keyboard appears normally.

Bug?

Same happens to me with different iOS/Android devices. Can't do anything

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pointbiz (OP)

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:35:24 PM

v2.8.0
https://www.bitaddress.org/bitaddress.org-v2.8.0-SHA1-87dcf19f02ee9fb9dd3a8c787bcf52eef944aa82.html
 - more entropy from browser fingerprinting for PRNG seed
 - user can add entropy through URL hash tag
 - seed mouse movement as 16-bit number
 - whole seed pool initially filled by window.crypto.getRandomValues
 - added textbox as an alternative input source for entropy
 - address will not generate without a minimum amount of human added entropy
   from mouse or keyboard
 - discard mouse movements less than 40ms apart
 - visualize points of entropy collection from the mouse

Is the increased (mouse) entropy used on all the tabs (like the paper wallet) or just on the first tab?

All the tabs.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
pointbiz (OP)

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:44:55 PM

Using tablet... i am unable to enter any characters into textbox. Keyboard does not appear on the screen no matter what i do.

If i use some other input form on some other webpage... keyboard appears normally.

Bug?

Weird. Works for me on an Android phone and tablet. Maybe it's a CSS z-index browser bug? Maybe the painting of the green dot is stopping you from focusing inside the textbox? The textbox is supposed to be higher in z-index. Just a guess at this point. Or maybe the page takes too much memory and the keyboard then doesn't load? I've seen that happen on my mobile with sites that consume a lot of memory. The keyboard fights to open itself up.

I'd like to improve the textbox input to handle copy/paste input. Also, I'm considering testing out onkeydown instead of onkeypress. Seems like with Android devices onkeypress does not fire until you press Enter/Go.

Lastly, this is a natural side effect of removing the "force generate" that used to occur on bitaddress.org. If the site along with your device has some problem collecting sufficient human entropy then it's best that the site will not show you a bitcoin address. Classic security versus convenience trade off.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
eiprol

bitarchitect

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 01:43:00 AM

Bug?

Weird. Works for me on an Android phone and tablet. Maybe it's a CSS z-index browser bug? Maybe the painting of the green dot is stopping you from focusing inside the textbox? The textbox is supposed to be higher in z-index. Just a guess at this point. Or maybe the page takes too much memory and the keyboard then doesn't load? I've seen that happen on my mobile with sites that consume a lot of memory. The keyboard fights to open itself up.

I'd like to improve the textbox input to handle copy/paste input. Also, I'm considering testing out onkeydown instead of onkeypress. Seems like with Android devices onkeypress does not fire until you press Enter/Go.

Lastly, this is a natural side effect of removing the "force generate" that used to occur on bitaddress.org. If the site along with your device has some problem collecting sufficient human entropy then it's best that the site will not show you a bitcoin address. Classic security versus convenience trade off.

Tomorrow I will try it with a Moto G with KitKat; by know I've failed with an old android, an iPhone 5s and An iPad Mini retina (so I guess its probably related to z-index on web browser, or the green paint, instead of memory issues... At least on iOS devices)
eiprol

bitarchitect

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:40:38 PM

I've just checked and textbox works fine on Android (despite the fact that it doesn't count letters until you press GO/Enter). However on iOS is still failing (Both Chrome and Safari)
cubicdissection

Activity: 231

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 09:16:22 PM

I just made a paper wallet today (thanks for an awesome site btw!) and I noticed that the directions still tell users to sweep their funds into Mt. Gox.

"Spend your bitcoins by going to blockchain.info or mtgox.com and sweep the full balance of your private key into your account at their website. "

Perhaps that should be changed in light of the huge ball of suck that Gox has been lately?
canton

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 02:19:55 AM

I posted a fix for this 2 weeks ago, not sure if it's been noticed yet.

https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/issues/68

zemario

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 10:19:12 AM

I used this site in the past but I want to be cautious. You do provide signed document with the version history including the hash. But I doubt anyone will go through that hassle.

The site would be much more usable if you provided browser extensions to verify the checksum. This is convenient and would require a hacker to break in your server AND whatever service you use to distribute the extension. Being it github, sourceforge, google chrome store, mozilla website or other.

Maybe a greasemonkey script, given it might be the simplest to develop. Or maybe even a bookmarklet. Now that I think about it, you could distribute the whole thing as a bookmarklet. Would be a huge bookmarklet, but it should work.

As it is, it's too much of a hassle to verify authenticity.
yakov

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:21:40 PM

Depending on how much money you're storing in the paper wallets, the hassle will be worth it.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:28:54 AM

[...]

Not at all.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
zemario

Activity: 194

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:30:00 AM

[...]

Not at all.
Ok, could you describe how you do it then?
pgbit

Activity: 771
Merit: 258

Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:25:09 PM

Does the speed of PC / computer you have affect the security or randomness of the address created with bitaddress? Any minimum spec advised?

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:49:00 AM

how do you spend the funds that are stored to a bip38 encrypted password wallet?

found an answer: http://www.bit2factor.org and click "decrypt private key".   then import that private key into a client, or sweep it using something like the cold storage spend feature in mycelium for android.  to do that, you can generate a qr code of the private key using the "wallet details" tab from bitaddress.org and then scan that from mycelium.

It is not clear but you can decrypt the BIP38 on the "wallet details" tab. You just enter the BIP38 key and click View Details and it will show the passphrase input and a button to decrypt.

it would be great if you could:

1.  integrate the ability to insert a previously generated uncompressed private key from one's old cold storage wallet, and generate the bip38 encrypted version of that key.

2.  implement the ability to generate a distributed passphrase backup using Shamir's Secret Sharing as implemented here:  https://encryptedbitcoinwallet.com/
philipmicklon

Activity: 176

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:11:14 PM

it would be great if you could:

1.  integrate the ability to insert a previously generated uncompressed private key from one's old cold storage wallet, and generate the bip38 encrypted version of that key.
Already implemented here: http://www.bit2factor.org/ https://github.com/mannkind/bit2factor.org

How would I modify this script for another coin? e.g. CatCoin, EarthCoin etc..
I'm interested in this too. Any programmers who can tell us how much work this might be?
yimfinity

Activity: 322
Merit: 116

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:18:26 PM

i recall a post describing how to modify the code to allow for custom backgrounds to make your own designs of paper wallet but can't seem to locate this. any one happen to have this handy? thanks!
canton

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 02:57:31 PM

integrate the ability to insert a previously generated uncompressed private key from one's old cold storage wallet, and generate the bip38 encrypted version of that key.
I'm interested in this too. Any programmers who can tell us how much work this might be?

See the FAQ labeled How do I convert a non-encrypted wallet to use BIP38 here:

https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/bip38-password-encrypted-wallets/

Basically, you scan (or type in) your private key in the validate tab, click the button to print this out as a paper wallet, and click the checkbox to add BIP38. I know this isn't exactly what you're asking since this is a different website, but bitcoinpaperwallet.com is a fork of bitaddress.org so it might not be too difficult to merge in that code.
Wotan777

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:04:52 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 04:05:38 PM by Wotan777

Hi Pointbiz,

I made a Hungarian translation.
When will it be pulled to the program approximately?

Best regards,
   Wotan777
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 02:23:15 PM

Could you possibly make a wallet using a deck of cards? There are an insane amount of combinations possible, and you could at least just make a brainwallet by putting in the cards in order. Then you can just keep the deck in that order to save it.
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:50:33 PM

Could you possibly make a wallet using a deck of cards? There are an insane amount of combinations possible, and you could at least just make a brainwallet by putting in the cards in order. Then you can just keep the deck in that order to save it.

Yes. Just shuffle a deck well and deal a few cards then enter them, using a code for each card, as the password in a brain wallet generator. Something like 1H for ace of hearts and KS for king of spades.

You need to pick the entropy you want, which will give you how many cards are needed in the deal. The whole deck gives you 52! combinations or 226 bits of entropy. You probably don't need much more than 100 bits though - so, fewer cards.

Number   Bits of
of cards   Entropy
15               82
16               87
17               93
18               98
19               103
20               108
21               113
22               118
23               123
24               128
25               132

canton

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 06:39:14 PM

Could you possibly make a wallet using a deck of cards?

I researched this a bit in putting together these instructions (see below.)

mix up a deck of 52 playing cards (after thoroughly shuffling it at least 10 times) and enter at least the top 31 cards in this format: 5S-10H-AC-... (where 5S = 5 of Spades, 10H = 10 of Hearts, AC = Ace of Clubs, etc.)

Here's where I asked for feedback/confirmation of this strategy:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x15xq/i_shuffled_a_deck_of_52_cards_how_many_playing/

For bitaddress.org you just feed your string of cards into the wallet details tab for "enter private key" and allow it to SHA256 your input.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  

Jump to: