Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:05:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CEO OF BITCOIN EXCHANGE ARRESTED  (Read 23709 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:19:37 PM

I'll bet that the song which Shrem can sing will give a fair number of folks the shivers.  This in particular since pretty much any TCP/IP packet than anyone has sent/received since the first block was mined can be pulled back out of the ether.  And can be used in a court of law if the stream can be sufficiently laundered.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fallen666

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 06:20:56 PM

So much for Bitcoin as money loundering tool. We are talking about a million which is almost nothing and you still get traced.

the complaint filed referenced 1mill+

Still less than what cartels or other big criminal organizations needs to launder every hour.

amadaeus

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:22:46 PM

This will not effect bitcoin in the long term.
"Truly innovative business models don't need to resort to old-fashioned law-breaking, and when Bitcoins, like any traditional currency, are laundered and used to fuel criminal activity, law enforcement has no choice but to act."

Personal opinions on the war on drugs aside, he left himself open for this. Allegedly he knowingly facilitated transactions in an effort to launder money, regardless of the currency. During court the evidence will show whether this is a true allegation or just a smear campaign.

There is no surprise that the US government would aim to arrest those who helped facilitate the silk road, none.

As far as the double standard with banking goes, it IS bullshit, but bears no weight on this specific case. I'm sure HSBC spent a lot of time, money and effort to cover their ass, and Shrem will probably cooperate and facilitate a further investigation and get out with hefty fines, a very brief all expensive paid vacation to upstate new york, and a smeared reputation.

But the bright side, if the government holds a decent amount of bitcoin, will they not protect their investment? Maybe that's just the optimist in me.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 06:25:28 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/01/27/winklevoss-funded-bitcoin-startup-ceo-arrested-in-silk-road-investigation/

Messages dug up between Shrem and Faiella tell a different story. “We know you are violating our Terms of Service and we know you are reselling on the Silk Road. This is illegal,” Shrem wrote to BTCKing in January of 2012. But even then, and despite several conversations with a BitInstant co-founder who asked Shrem to ban BTCKing, Shrem is accused of continuing to process his transactions. (The indictment also alleges that Shrem himself bought pot brownies from a Silk Road vendor, as further evidence that the understood the illegal uses of the site.)

Hate to say it, but I believe this probe is much, much deeper, and expect more arrests by spring, throwing an iconic enterprise into a tailspin.

turtoro

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:25:57 PM

So much for Bitcoin as money loundering tool. We are talking about a million which is almost nothing and you still get traced.

the complaint filed referenced 1mill+

Still less than what cartels or other big criminal organizations needs to launder every hour.

a mill+ ranges from 1mil to 1000000000000~ mill
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:26:44 PM

Just like with that silk road dude. Stupidity did him in. Sorry, Charlie.
turtoro

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:29:18 PM

This will not effect bitcoin in the long term.
"Truly innovative business models don't need to resort to old-fashioned law-breaking, and when Bitcoins, like any traditional currency, are laundered and used to fuel criminal activity, law enforcement has no choice but to act."

Personal opinions on the war on drugs aside, he left himself open for this. Allegedly he knowingly facilitated transactions in an effort to launder money, regardless of the currency. During court the evidence will show whether this is a true allegation or just a smear campaign.

There is no surprise that the US government would aim to arrest those who helped facilitate the silk road, none.

As far as the double standard with banking goes, it IS bullshit, but bears no weight on this specific case. I'm sure HSBC spent a lot of time, money and effort to cover their ass, and Shrem will probably cooperate and facilitate a further investigation and get out with hefty fines, a very brief all expensive paid vacation to upstate new york, and a smeared reputation.

But the bright side, if the government holds a decent amount of bitcoin, will they not protect their investment? Maybe that's just the optimist in me.

+1

on a side note, Antonopoulos will be discussing this and BTC in general on joe rogan today, 3 pm pacific:
http://www.ustream.tv/joerogan
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:29:59 PM

Charlie was no fool, he's just to young!
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:30:08 PM

If you knowingly facilitate the commission of a crime you have to expect that you risk facing consequences as a result...

The key to this is that he allegedly knew that the coins were being used for illegal activities... It makes no difference if it's Bitcoins or Dollars, you can't knowingly break the law without risking your freedom.

It's no big surprise.

That's why all the voters in America are criminals. They constantly vote for crime-lords in Government offices, who don't obey their Oath of Office to uphold the Constitution.

We're getting our freedom taken away as a result. Things like Bitcoin happen to be extending our freedoms a bit, and for a time.

Smiley

I agree, Americans have been made criminals by rampant legislation. You have a choice to break the law but you can't expect to be safe in doing it.

I don't believe the votes in America mean anything; who remembers the Florida recount? How far off was the count?

We made our bed and now we sleep in it. I hope this generation and the next can bring us back to the Constitution.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 06:33:46 PM

Bitcoiners should take lessons from this guy on how to weave in and out of a crowd conducting bitcoin transactions without being noticed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFe_42TpiY&src_vid=qFHbXSnNkXU&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_3965703473
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:39:36 PM

Bitcoiners should take lessons from this guy on how to weave in and out of a crowd conducting bitcoin transactions without being noticed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFe_42TpiY&src_vid=qFHbXSnNkXU&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_3965703473

Nice tutu, Phinn.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:45:04 PM

I'm sure HSBC spent a lot of time, money and effort to cover their ass, and Shrem will probably cooperate and facilitate a further investigation and get out with hefty fines

I don't think so.

It's easy to misunderstand what happened with HSBC.

The majority of what HSBC was accused of was about not doing enough to detect and block Mexican drug cartels laundering money. Note "not doing enough".

Shrem is accused of something entirely different - not just doing an insufficient amount of work, but knowingly co-operating with someone he knew was a Silk Road dealer explicitly to help him launder money. It's the "knowingly" part that makes the huge difference.

The US DoJ did not seem to have large piles of emails from the head of compliance at HSBC showing him buying drugs and helping known dealers to evade his own controls. With BitInstant they do.

It's really no wonder Bitcoin businesses can't get bank accounts, when guys like Shrem were putting on a respectable face and doing that kind of thing behind the scenes. Silk Road and those involved with it are by far the most damaging thing that could ever have happened to Bitcoin, especially so early on.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:56:43 PM

Charlie was no fool, he's just to young!

The only problem with youth is the arrogance of invincibility. Old and young alike can be intelligent, well educated and experienced in their field of study. Age brings wisdom only because you begin to understand your limitations and that their may be someone out there in the ether that knows more than you do.

whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:59:32 PM

They said scam. What is the scam? See Charlie is a businessman first probably saw this as a great opportunity and now it bite him in the ass.

I feeling this will just make him hungrier when he gets out.

Did they say they got is bitcoins I doubt they did, I pretty sure he had high security.

STAY STRONG CHARLIE

I would like to nominate Charlie for the ambassador of Bitcoin when get gets out.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
JakeThePanda

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:22:29 PM

Next stop all the illegal gambling sites

That's so 2011.  Preet has been there and done that.  Google FullTiltPoker and Pokerstars.
TitanBTC

Activity: 366
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 07:35:57 PM

I'm sure HSBC spent a lot of time, money and effort to cover their ass, and Shrem will probably cooperate and facilitate a further investigation and get out with hefty fines

I don't think so.

The majority of what HSBC was accused of was about not doing enough to detect and block Mexican drug cartels laundering money. Note "not doing enough".

Shrem is accused of something entirely different - not just doing an insufficient amount of work, but knowingly co-operating with someone he knew was a Silk Road dealer explicitly to help him launder money. It's the "knowingly" part that makes the huge difference.

The US DoJ did not seem to have large piles of emails from the head of compliance at HSBC showing him buying drugs and helping known dealers to evade his own controls. With BitInstant they do.

It's really no wonder Bitcoin businesses can't get bank accounts, when guys like Shrem were putting on a respectable face and doing that kind of thing behind the scenes. Silk Road and those involved with it are by far the most damaging thing that could ever have happened to Bitcoin, especially so early on.

I'm with you, Mike.  The evidence that they claim to have indicates that Charlie knew what he was doing and allowed his own personal pro-drug bias to influence his business decisions. 

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 07:42:43 PM

Next stop all the illegal gambling sites

That's so 2011.  Preet has been there and done that.  Google FullTiltPoker and Pokerstars.

The two main sources of my income back in the day, along with being a poker whore chasing deposit bonuses on the various other sites. After its demise, I had to get my hands dirty once again to earn a living, eventually getting back into moving barn wood, of which I truly love, but now conflicts with Bitcoin while back online. I used to live at Sam's Town in Tunica. virtually free with all the food I could eat, for two whole years while playing and propping poker, but tired of that grind on the felt.

Apologies for the aside.

~TMIBTCITW
HELP.org

Activity: 510

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 07:47:03 PM

I don't think so.

Hopefully Theymos, BFL, TradeFortress, and the members of the Foundation who are involved with them will be next.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:53:23 PM

I don't think so.

Hopefully Theymos, BFL, TradeFortress, and the members of the Foundation who are involved with them will be next.

I like to play devils advocate but that seems a little extreme. BFL and TradeFortress scammer would be nice but TBF and the admin of the main forum would probably hurt Bitcoin a little. You do understand that TBF members are most of the businesses that make Bitcoin what it is today, right?

Trance

Activity: 551

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:04:17 PM

CEO OF BITCOIN EXCHANGE ARRESTED

The CEO of BitInstant, a Bitcoin exchange, has been arrested at JFK airport and charged with money laundering.

Charlie Shrem, along with a co-conspirator, is accused of selling over $1 million in Bitcoin to Silk Road users, who would then use them to buy drugs and other illicit items.

"Hiding behind their computers, both defendants are charged with knowingly contributing to and facilitating anonymous drug sales, earning substantial profits along the way," DEA agent James Hunt said in a release.

Shrem is a vice chairman at the Bitcoin Foundation. He is listed as a speaker at a Bitcoin conference in Miami that ended Sunday.

Shrem is believed to own a substantial amount of Bitcoin.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/report-ceo-of-major-bitcoin-exchange-arrested-2014-1#ixzz2rcQNGOtj

I'm sure he will barter his way out! He will prob just release names and pay his way through the case

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: