Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:18:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CEO OF BITCOIN EXCHANGE ARRESTED  (Read 23714 times)
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:33:22 AM

Well actually there is a law.  It is the BSA (or more correctly "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970").  The BSA gives FinCEN rather wide latitude in determining which institutions fall within its scope, and what regulatory requirements they must meet.

Which has nothing to do with bitcoins.

@jballs - awesome name

Did BitInstant only deal in bitcoins?

""The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970"" doesn't apply to selling bitcoins. Of course Feds will say anything since they have the most guns (for now).

Does "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970" apply to fiat transactions. Did BitInstant make fiat transactions?

huh? I bought Jack n the Box today transacting with fiat...am I subject to "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970"Huh?

No...derp

I'm grumpy!!
Holliday
Legendary

Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:45:01 AM

Well actually there is a law.  It is the BSA (or more correctly "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970").  The BSA gives FinCEN rather wide latitude in determining which institutions fall within its scope, and what regulatory requirements they must meet.

@jballs - awesome name

""The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970"" doesn't apply to selling bitcoins. Of course Feds will say anything since they have the most guns (for now).

Does "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970" apply to fiat transactions. Did BitInstant make fiat transactions?

huh? I bought Jack n the Box today transacting with fiat...am I subject to "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970"Huh?

No...derp

Oh, come on. Were other people paying for your sandwich by depositing fiat into your bank account?

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Danglebee

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:50:48 AM

i hope fbi take down half of bitcoin foundation member next.

Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:53:17 AM

i hope fbi take down half of bitcoin foundation member next.

Wow. What do you wish upon your enemies?

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:00:50 AM

This news is actually good.

IT seems this is just an extension of the SR investigation. And we all agree that SR was  detrimental to btc at this stage. This has nothing to do with the actual btc platform. In fact, in the statement released, there is more evidence that bitcoin as an entity will be left alone. :

"Truly innovative business models don't need to resort to old-fashioned law-breaking, and when Bitcoins, like any traditional currency, are laundered and used to fuel criminal activity, law enforcement has no choice but to act."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ceo-of-winklevoss-backed-bitcoin-company-arrested-2014-01-27?link=MW_latest_news

all in all, its a fascinating development, but in a blazay kind of way.

THIS..

If they knew about the fact they breack the law, and they do.. And Law enforcment have been able to track this and act, this is good for Bitcoin.  This prove that Bitcoin is'nt more "anonymous" than fiat, afaik, unless super0precautions are taken. 

Then, Law Enforcment can't hate Bitcoin at a point they want to destroy it, because they seems able to look and act in case of a criminal action... This makes Bitcoin more interesting to everyone, including law inforcments agencies.

IMO : overall, it's good news if all true !

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:05:50 AM

@jballs - awesome name

The position of the US Government when it comes to money laundering is that to all intensive purposes it make little or no difference if the funds being laundered are USD or BTC. Start with the FINCEN guidance http://fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html and follow the press releases of government officials. So the pirateat40 "funny money" defence will get you a jail cell.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 04:21:55 AM

Seems the moral of the story is anyone involved in bitcoin business, legit or not, really ought to bug out of the USA, and find a free country to do business in.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
VforVictory

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:23:55 AM

Seems the moral of the story is anyone involved in bitcoin business, legit or not, really ought to bug out of the USA, and find a free country to do business in.

I hear Somalia is a nice place to set up shop...
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 04:26:02 AM

I was thinking Grand Cayman or one of the other islands the bankers own to exempt themselves and their wealth from the laws they enforce upon the plebs.

Somalia not so much.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:26:48 AM

The conditions in Somali are a result of multiple failed corrupt institutions in a sequence.

VforVictory

Activity: 280

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:27:56 AM

The conditions in Somali are a result of multiple failed corrupt institutions in a sequence.

Maybe you can "Un-corrupt" them with the magical power of Bitcoin? Then you can go on to free(rule) all of Africa.
Trance

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:36:02 AM

Charlie Shrem could be a patsy and the NSA probably spied on him just like every other VIP figure in the BTC Network. It's only a matter of time before they start taking down other high profiles within the community!

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:36:59 AM

Maybe you can "Un-corrupt" them with the magical power of Bitcoin? Then you can go on to free(rule) all of Africa.

Sorry, as cool as Bitcoin is, you don't undo decades of destruction with a magic wand. I don't want to rule anything, especially other people. What a tiresome job that would be, like herding cats.

Trance

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:37:27 AM

I was thinking Grand Cayman or one of the other islands the bankers own to exempt themselves and their wealth from the laws they enforce upon the plebs.

Somalia not so much.

Go to Belize or Panama !

Columbia has the Chinese version of the Panama Canal and will be a very lucrative thing to happen!

Trance

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:38:10 AM

Sorry, as cool as Bitcoin is, you don't undo decades of destruction with a magic wand. I don't want to rule anything, especially other people. What a tiresome job that would be, like herding cats.

Cats or Sheep, same thing?

Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:40:12 AM

Cats or Sheep, same thing?

No... not at all. You must misunderstand the phrase.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:08:47 AM

Charlie Shrem could be a patsy and the NSA probably spied on him just like every other VIP figure in the BTC Network. It's only a matter of time before they start taking down other high profiles within the community!

No, its all political theater. Shrem will be fine. He registered with FINCEN. He's helping promote them. Its psychological warfare. Be scared, you could be next!

I'm grumpy!!
datz

Activity: 295

"to survive, we must live and fly"

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:12:39 AM

After watching my little brother go into rehab and come out overweight and sluggish but clean after a Silk Road fueled drug stint, I sympathize with the actions of the government bodies in this case. Knowingly supplying the means to purchase drugs is abhorrent and wrong. That being said, Yankee is a martyr in a philosophical sense and I hope one day we can grant him a Presidential pardon. He is a necessary force in this Universe that has greatly fostered economic equal opportunity and efficiency. Someone had to do the dirty work of the early days of cryptocurrency advocacy.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 05:15:30 AM

He should step down from the foundation ASAP.

"Guard! Guard!"

"What is it, Chuck?"

"I need to make a phone call ASAP!"

"To a lawyer?"

"No! To The Bitcoin Foundation. I want to make sure they don't give my seat away. BTW, can I have another blanket? Guard! GUARDDD!"
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 05:28:42 AM

Prosecutor can kindly go burn in Hell. Speechless. This is the most blatant anti-Bitcoin rights violation I've seen yet, way worse than the thug letters sent to Caldwell.

Shrem shouldn't step down from anything over this. The Foundation should be supporting him, not throwing him under the bus because they think they can influence the BTC price a couple points higher. Have some fucking integrity.

If The Bitcoin Foundation fails to expunge this guy, it will forever taint the entire coin in the general public's eye. The acceptance of the general public is the only path for Bitcoin to grow beyond what it is today.

Read the indictment, this guy was clearly funding illegal activity, exactly what Bitcoin doesn't need.

~BCX~

The ball is most definitely in The Bitcoin Foundation's court, and while they're at it...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: