Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:28:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CEO OF BITCOIN EXCHANGE ARRESTED  (Read 23716 times)
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:01:50 PM

Is he guilty?  Well that is up for a jury but can we drop the quaint TV land money laundering = "making dirty money into clean money only" definitions.  They serve no purpose.  If the law says Money laundering is eating a cheeseburger on Tuesday then that is what it is.  To try and proactively avoid the flames, this isn't a statement on the merit, or morality of the statute, merely the statute as it exists.

Yes, I'm not agreeing in whole with those who think this count is entirely bogus, or that they can't possibly convict.  I do, however, think it's considerably weaker than the unambiguous failure to meet the statutory duty to file an SAR.  If they can prove the facts alleged (and just the emails quoted seem to do that), they have him dead to rights on that.

However, as to the money laundering count, not only does the government have more to prove, essentially a level of specific intent, but while some activity might arguably fall under some of the language of the statute, it falls mostly under the catch-all type language, sometimes ambiguously worded.  I think it would be a lot easier on that count to create a reasonable doubt about one or more of the elements of the offense, or for that matter to convince the court that the facts proven do not prove conduct sufficient to establish a violation of the statute.

It also might be worth a look at the standard jury instructions for this statute.  That, after all, is what a jury would consider, and depending on what they say, a jury might just say there's not enough here to convict this guy on this charge.

My SWAG is that this case pleads out to the lesser count.  Alternately, you might see a plea to some lesser included offense of money laundering, like these from the IRS:

18 USC §2 (aiding and abetting)

18 USC §371 or 18 USC §1956(h) (conspiracy)

18 USC §1001 (false statements)

18 USC §1510(b)(3)(B)(i) (obstruction of 18 USC §1956 or 18 USC §1957 or Title 31 investigations)

18 USC §1621 (perjury)

18 USC §1960 (illegal money transmitting business)

31 USC §5322 (Title 31 criminal penalties)

31 USC §5324 (structuring)

31 USC §5332 (bulk cash smuggling)

18 USC §1028 and 18 USC §1028A (identity theft)

Aiding and abetting, false statements, illegal money transmitting business and structuring seem pretty apt.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:38:10 PM

Yes, I'm not agreeing in whole with those who think this count is entirely bogus, or that they can't possibly convict.  I do, however, think it's considerably weaker than the unambiguous failure to meet the statutory duty to file an SAR.  If they can prove the facts alleged (and just the emails quoted seem to do that), they have him dead to rights on that.

I agree and the response wasn't only directed to you, it just happened I had the time to comment now. Smiley

I have indicated in other posts the failure to file a SAR is (at least based on the limited info we know) going to be nearly impossible to beat.  You likely know this but others might not, a SAR is for suspicious activity.  The theshold for reporting isn't "beyond a reasonable doubt", it isn't even a reasonable certainty that a crime has occurred, it is just suspicion.  The emails between Charlie and the conspirator as well as between Charlie and the rest of the company certainly paint a picture that Charlie was or should have been suspicious of the client.  I don't think a jury is going to believe that "a reasonable person" wouldn't see that the transactions (multiple per day, many times up to 10x over the limit, involving a middle man, using aliases, using multiple accounts, etc) wouldn't require filing a SAR. 

The bad news it the "lesser" charge is up to 5 years in prison and up to $25,000 fine per transaction (~1,000 txs made).  The prosecutor might let him take a reduce jail time but they are going to use the fines to financially destroy both Charlie and the company.  It will make a "great" headline ("Bitcoin company fined $25 million in money laundering charge") for a prosecutor looking to prove a point.

My SWAG is that this case pleads out to the lesser count.

I agree.  The ML (with up to 20 year prison sentence) will likely be used as a "are you sure you want to take a risk with a jury?" card.  Fighting it would only make sense if you also thought you have a reasonable chance of winning on the lesser change as well.  If you don't then fighting in court over taking a deal means all risk and no "reward".

I think the operating an unlicensed money money transmission business is just garbage though.  In the NY hearing they even indicated that the exchanging of money for virtual currency may not even be covered under existing statutes and that the committee will likely need to use its emergency powers to expand the scope of its regulatory structure to bring Bitcoin exchanges in to it.  So it say "you weren't licensed in NY = bad" when NY isn't even sure you need to be licensed is just nonsense.  That being said our company doesn't do business with residents of NY (and CA and VA) for this exact reason.  The regulatory unknown just makes it too much of a risk.
E.exchanger

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:04:58 PM

ok so first mtgox gone then this incident   Lips sealed

bitcoin is going to get down and down now   Sad
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:07:38 PM

Damn.  I forgot this thread existed for a minute and was hoping it was about Karpeles.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4672

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:10:30 PM

ok so first mtgox gone then this incident   Lips sealed

bitcoin is going to get down and down now   Sad

You've got that backwards.

First this incident (a month ago), and then MtGox gone.
123i8

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:18:25 PM

If you have a thing for visiting Mtgox in Japan this is who you should look for

Lost your life savings? Lost everything??? visit the Office in japan Mtgox. this is who you should look for Founder/Ceo of MtGox

yeah the guy responsible for mtgox and shutting down the website and permanently shutting down your account.  "Means" you can't get it back unless government steps in and requires Mtgox to Reopen the website to return the money to everyone which i highly doubt the government will do. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZddzSC7AuAw
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]  All
  Print  

Jump to: