Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:17:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unethical treatment by Newegg  (Read 664 times)
dbbit (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:04:45 PM

You wouldn't think that Newegg would treat you the same way that some kid in a basement on a far away continent does, but here they go:

I ordered and paid for a R9 290x from Newegg yesterday for $550 with overnight shipping. This morning Newegg decided to void my order without a specific explanation, and recommended that I should check with my Credit Card company for a wrong address (Uhh... I used Paypal).

Immediately after the email I came back to the site and see that the same card is now listed at $650.

So they basically just went and cancelled my order because they decided that can gouge other customers for an extra $100.

Yes, I know that $550 is on the low side for an R9 at this point, but that doesn't mean screwing over open orders from existing customers.

Just venting.   Angry

AltCoin: Changing perfectly legitimate companies into common thugs.
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:36:36 PM

on one hand, selling hardware is a narrow margin game.  the big box stores make net margin of ~1% after expenses, theft, employees, etc.  that's having worked in one for 4 years.  having a product that actually makes money (besides printer cables and warranties) is an unusual situation for computer stores.

on the other hand, all of this jacked up pricing is all going into the retailer's pocket:  AMD doesn't make any more out of cards they did in october; it is companies like Newegg  and others that are making that extra $100 of profit.  

which is strange, but if you were newegg, and saw people buy cards for $300 and go to kijiji or ebay and sell them for $500, wouldn't you also jack up the prices?

lol they cancelled your order though.  that's the customer service i've come to expect from newegg, and that's different from inflating prices.  the ethical action was to honour your purchase.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:43:36 PM

You wouldn't think that Newegg would treat you the same way that some kid in a basement on a far away continent does, but here they go:

I ordered and paid for a R9 290x from Newegg yesterday for $550 with overnight shipping. This morning Newegg decided to void my order without a specific explanation, and recommended that I should check with my Credit Card company for a wrong address (Uhh... I used Paypal).

Immediately after the email I came back to the site and see that the same card is now listed at $650.

So they basically just went and cancelled my order because they decided that can gouge other customers for an extra $100.

Yes, I know that $550 is on the low side for an R9 at this point, but that doesn't mean screwing over open orders from existing customers.

Just venting.   Angry

Are you sure it was newegg and not a 3rd party merchant. Anyone can open a store on newegg and sell equipment.  I've seen a lot of shady things happen from those merchants.

On the other hand my company has bought $100k of equipment on newegg and you would think that they would provide some better customer service but no.
sighle

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:13:28 PM

Just venting.   Angry

Are you sure it was newegg and not a 3rd party merchant. Anyone can open a store on newegg and sell equipment.  I've seen a lot of shady things happen from those merchants.

On the other hand my company has bought $100k of equipment on newegg and you would think that they would provide some better customer service but no.

Amazon does this too. I had a merchant allow me to complete an order which I paid overnight shipping for. I didn't get a response from them for 2 days when they said that they were cancelling my order and refunding my credit card.

I had to pay exchange fees through my bank for both transaction and the whole thing cost me about $20 and I got nothing. At least my bank refunded the fees after I fought with them about it.

[DOGE]: D6EBXikfCaPqcEJULsR2qzrLWyGBdYEwGv
[LTC]: LbPrmVGKnVhn6G8FFGFdthPyP1tjFucZHu
BTC: 1JpJ4tTM2ZCCLQf1jAnTmQbKMq7LGbrmQG
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:08:26 AM

This. Opening Newegg into a merchant portal was the worst thing they've ever done. I've never had a good experience buying from a third party through Newegg. When I buy directly from Newegg, I've ALWAYS had good luck, and it's always been great, even if they do jack the price right after I've bought something.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
dbbit (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:17:54 AM

No, it's Newegg itself - sold and shipped by Newegg (N82E16814125499).

I stay far away from the newegg 3rd party merchants. If I want Amazon, I know where to find it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: