Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:42:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Russia warns against using bitcoins  (Read 3260 times)
Ban Curtain (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:33:53 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 07:37:41 PM by Ban Curtain

Russian news: http://www.mn.ru/business_finance/20140127/368594774.html

Idea here is that Central Bank of Russia warns people, organizations, and banks against using bitcoins because this operations potentially dubious.

Due to anonymous nature of transactions in bitcoins it can be used for money laundering and financing of the terrorism.

So, it looks like Russia goes in Chinese way in interpretation of bitcoins

PS.
Here is original press-release of central bank of Russia: http://www.cbr.ru/press/PR.aspx?file=27012014_1825052.htm

And google-translated text:
Information

On the use in transactions "virtual currency ", in particular , Bitcoin

The Bank of Russia said that recently in the world have a certain distribution of the so -called "virtual currency " , in particular, Bitcoin . By "virtual currencies " and there is no provision for them legally obliged entities . These operations are speculative in nature, carried out on the so -called "virtual exchanges " and carry a high risk of loss of value.

The Bank of Russia warns citizens and legal entities , primarily credit institutions and non-credit financial institutions , the use of "virtual currency " for them in exchange for goods ( works, services) or cash in rubles and foreign currency.

According to article 27 of the Federal Law "On the Central Bank of the Russian Federation (Bank of Russia ) " issue in the Russian Federation monetary surrogates prohibited.

Due to the anonymous nature of the activity for the production of "virtual currency " unlimited range of actors and to use them for transactions citizens and legal persons may be , including unintentionally involved in illegal activities , including the legalization (laundering ) of proceeds from crime and terrorist financing .

The Bank of Russia has warned that Russian legal entities providing services for the exchange of "virtual currency " in rubles and foreign currency , as well as for goods (works , services ) will be considered as a potential involvement in the implementation of suspicious transactions in accordance with the legislation on counteraction to legalization (laundering ) proceeds of crime and financing of terrorism.

January 27, 2014

Using materials reference to the press service of the Bank of Russia is required .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:19:31 PM

Actually, I read elsewhere that the end basically says it's illegal to trade bitcoins for anything in Russia: currencies or products.  Is this true?  Cause if so, that's a ban.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Ban Curtain (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:32:26 PM

Actually, I read elsewhere that the end basically says it's illegal to trade bitcoins for anything in Russia: currencies or products.  Is this true?  Cause if so, that's a ban.

No it's not ban by law. But it means that they tend to ban it. Popular bitcoin-related exchange metabank.ru has suspended its work already (until resolution of the legal aspect).

Bears on monocycles don't like innovative economics  Grin
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:08:50 PM

LOL. 15 Russian banks have just collapsed with almost-complete deposit losses, their deposit insurance fund is empty, but they are warning people against the use of bitcoin.

The second most ridiculous statement about bitcoin after Cyprus central bank Smiley
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 09:26:27 PM

There is a bunch of upheaval right now.  The German central bank said bail ins are going to need to be done by countries before other countries help them out.  That's the type of thing that led to the Cyprus issue and the big rise in BTC value.  But at the same time they arrested the bitinstant guy, maybe to make sure btc value doesn't go too high today! Smiley

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:36:11 PM

LOL. 15 Russian banks have just collapsed with almost-complete deposit losses, their deposit insurance fund is empty, but they are warning people against the use of bitcoin.

The second most ridiculous statement about bitcoin after Cyprus central bank Smiley

Do you have more info on that?
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:44:34 PM

It's easy to explain why. Russia is afraid of BTC. Many Russians just don't trust their local currency, nor their government. This makes BTC automatically attractive, and I guess this official advice will make BTC even more attractive.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
skivrmt

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:30:16 PM

It's easy to explain why. Russia is afraid of BTC. Many Russians just don't trust their local currency, nor their government. This makes BTC automatically attractive, and I guess this official advice will make BTC even more attractive.

Russia is afraid of anything they can't control.  I think its been fairly well known that they would ban Bitcoin eventually.  If Putin can't control it, its deemed illegal.  Russia is so close back to communism these days.  Just another step in that direction.
zeroday
Donator

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:30:08 PM

Got this news from one of my contractors who lives in russia. I asked him to send me the complete list of sources and will post it soon.

It's 3 medium banks and 12 small banks that were crashed. More banks collapses are coming soon as insurance fund was depleted to partially cover deposits from the first 3 banks.

That was published in their regional press in multiple small articles. For obvious reasons they don't publish it at once at prime time. I wonder why western media still is not aware of this issue.

I'm surprised that Russians are still keeping their money in banks. Don't they remember how it was in 1998 when almost all the russian banks crashed with complete loss of deposits?
meanig

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:50:01 PM

Got this news from one of my contractors who lives in russia. I asked him to send me the complete list of sources and will post it soon.

It's 3 medium banks and 12 small banks that were crashed. More banks collapses are coming soon as insurance fund was depleted to partially cover deposits from the first 3 banks.

That was published in their regional press in multiple small articles. For obvious reasons they don't publish it at once at prime time. I wonder why western media still is not aware of this issue.

I'm surprised that Russians are still keeping their money in banks. Don't they remember how it was in 1998 when almost all the russian banks crashed with complete loss of deposits?

I found this article online

http://www.bdlive.co.za/world/europe/2014/01/10/russia-revokes-siberian-banks-licence

MOSCOW — Russian regulators have cancelled the licence of AKB Novokuznetsk Municipal Bank (NMB), saying that the Siberian lender made high-risk loans and allowed its owners to borrow from the company.

The Russian central bank said in a statement on its website on Thursday that NMB was running "a high-risk credit policy" and not adequately creating reserves for possible loan losses. The bank, which was among Russia’s top 300 lenders by assets as of last month, did not fulfil its obligations to creditors and depositors because of insufficient cash flow, the regulator said.

NMB said depositors with as much as 700,000 rubles ($21,000) are entitled to a full reimbursement from the Deposit Insurance Agency.

Payments would begin by January 23, the agency said on its website. NMB’s press office did not respond to calls seeking further comment.

The regulator has accelerated its crackdown since November 29 when it revoked the licence of Master Bank, Russia’s 41st largest lender by assets, for money-laundering violations. Midsize lenders Project Financing Bank and Smolensky Bank were also shuttered on December 13, and Investbank was closed after failing capital adequacy reviews.

The central bank has revoked about 30 banking licences since July 1 when Elvira Nabiullina succeeded Sergey Ignatiev as governor, compared with three in the first half of the year. She is striving to tighten regulation of banks and curtail net capital outflow, forecast at about $55bn last year.

NMB, which focused on the Kemerovo region of Siberia, was set up in 1994 and provides services to firms and individuals, according to its website.

An unidentified NMB director is being probed for allegedly transferring cash from the bank to other lenders in Russia to repay debts, according to a statement on Thursday by the Russian Investigative Committee. This had resulted in depriving the bank of sufficient reserves to cover its clients’ loans, according to the statement.

So the Russian banks are shaky, deposit compensations funds are low are they're worried about capital outflows ($55bn last year).

Of course they're going to hate Bitcoin! But the Russian people will still want it because having more than $21,000 in a Russian bank doesn't seem attractive.

If oil prices tank Russia is in big trouble!
fsb4000
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:54:31 AM

Of course they're going to hate Bitcoin! But the Russian people will still want it because having more than $21,000 in a Russian bank doesn't seem attractive.
It is not a problem. If you have $210,000 just open 10 accounts in 10 different banks. If you have $2,100,000 just open 100 accounts in 100 different banks  Wink  Grin
zeroday
Donator

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:26:13 AM

It is not a problem. If you have $210,000 just open 10 accounts in 10 different banks. If you have $2,100,000 just open 100 accounts in 100 different banks  Wink  Grin

Opening a bank account usually takes a couple of days. Good look spending half a year just to secure your $2M Smiley

Btw, my russian colleague has just given me a website where you find all the crashed banks log

http://www.banki.ru/banks/memory/

Google translate doesnt work for me, but at least you can see dates.
JCviggen

Activity: 1260
Merit: 505

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:40:19 AM

Most of the closed banks in Russia did not "crash", they had their license pulled for various official reasons but word on the street is they are cracking down on money laundering. Most businesses around here avoid taxes and the banks are playing their part in that, at a fee of 6-10%.

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:42:17 AM

I found this article online

http://www.bdlive.co.za/world/europe/2014/01/10/russia-revokes-siberian-banks-licence

MOSCOW — Russian regulators have cancelled the licence of AKB Novokuznetsk Municipal Bank (NMB), saying that the Siberian lender made high-risk loans and allowed its owners to borrow from the company.

The Russian central bank said in a statement on its website on Thursday that NMB was running "a high-risk credit policy" and not adequately creating reserves for possible loan losses. The bank, which was among Russia’s top 300 lenders by assets as of last month, did not fulfil its obligations to creditors and depositors because of insufficient cash flow, the regulator said.

NMB said depositors with as much as 700,000 rubles ($21,000) are entitled to a full reimbursement from the Deposit Insurance Agency.

Payments would begin by January 23, the agency said on its website. NMB’s press office did not respond to calls seeking further comment.

The regulator has accelerated its crackdown since November 29 when it revoked the licence of Master Bank, Russia’s 41st largest lender by assets, for money-laundering violations. Midsize lenders Project Financing Bank and Smolensky Bank were also shuttered on December 13, and Investbank was closed after failing capital adequacy reviews.

The central bank has revoked about 30 banking licences since July 1 when Elvira Nabiullina succeeded Sergey Ignatiev as governor, compared with three in the first half of the year. She is striving to tighten regulation of banks and curtail net capital outflow, forecast at about $55bn last year.

NMB, which focused on the Kemerovo region of Siberia, was set up in 1994 and provides services to firms and individuals, according to its website.

An unidentified NMB director is being probed for allegedly transferring cash from the bank to other lenders in Russia to repay debts, according to a statement on Thursday by the Russian Investigative Committee. This had resulted in depriving the bank of sufficient reserves to cover its clients’ loans, according to the statement.

So the Russian banks are shaky, deposit compensations funds are low are they're worried about capital outflows ($55bn last year).

If oil prices tank Russia is in big trouble!
It seems that Russian banks are more ridiculous that bitcoins, lol

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
Ban Curtain (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:28:39 AM

I can confirm that russia's economics in a big trouble now and in near future problems will continue to grow (thanks to russian politics, who too rude to read Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged").

Yesterday RUB/USD rate hit historical minimum in last 3 years (http://kurs-evro.com/kurs_rublya/), Demand in dollars from householders have grown in 3.5 times (demand in Euro growed with 50%) in last week.

In last 3 month there was closed about twenty banks (due to cancellation of licenses).

And big money outflow from country forces them to continue repressive monetary politics including creation of obstacles in bitcoins circulation and produce restrictions in any online anonymous payments (they try to make restrictions not only for bitcoins but for anything which can be used for terrorism financing ;-) ).
artplay81

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:39:40 AM

Central Bank is pretty conservative in Russia and this statement looks quite logical to me.

Potentially, they may allow operations in bitcoins after the majority of the world accepts it (1), and (2) after internal security agencies (NSA type) are OK with it.

They will not be in avangarde of BTC movement as little countries like Singapore, Denmark.. who else is there
meanig

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:27:44 PM

Another Russian bank bites the dust

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-28/russian-bank-halts-all-cash-withdrawals

It would appear the fears of a global bank run are spreading. From HSBC's limiting large cash withdrawals (for your own good) to Lloyds ATMs going down, Bloomberg reports that 'My Bank' - one of Russia's top 200 lenders by assets - has introduced a complete ban on cash withdrawals until next week. While the Ruble has been losing ground rapidly recently, we suspect few have been expecting bank runs in Russia. Russia sovereign CDS had recently weakned to 4-month wides at 192bps.

Via Bloomberg,

Lender has introduced complete ban on cash withdrawals until end of week, news agency reports, citing unidentified person in call center.
    Bank spokeswoman declined to comment by phone
    My Bank is top 200 lender by assets: Prime

NOTE: Central bank has revoked about 30 banking licenses since July 1 when Elvira Nabiullina succeeded Sergei Ignatiev as governor, compared with three in the firt half of the year

Interestingly, Russia's biggest lender Sberbank has seen a 8.7% rise in deposits in December... it seems the Russian's are realizing that bank deposits are nothing more than risky loans to highly levered entities...
Pordik

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:55:12 PM

Russia is the second best country in the world!

中國是老大!
miketonic

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:41:17 PM

It seems that these countries who are banning bitcoin see it as a threat, otherwise they would probably just ignore it. Now why would they see it as a threat? I'd say there are many reasons, but I think it's mainly because it isn't controlled by central bank and because it threatens traditional currencies as means of exchange.
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 09:56:36 PM

Isn't BTC-e located in Russia?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: