Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:00:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] ₩orldo -The World Currency. Botnet proof. CPU only. (Alpha)  (Read 23954 times)
travel-trousers (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 06:28:18 PM

Please delete "build" folder from github and add rule to the .gitignore to don't upload *.o these are the prebuilt application modules.

Ah yeah, thanks Smiley

I got rid of the data folder too....
herbaljoe

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:08:53 PM

"Greedy miners"? Really? Piss off!
travel-trousers (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 07:57:18 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 12:20:59 AM by travel-trousers

"Greedy miners"? Really? Piss off!

Bitcoin was supposed to be about moving control away from banks and governments and putting it back in the hands of the people.

These guys have a million dollars of ASIC equipment and a massive power bill to, what, support the network??

https://i.imgur.com/ZMjXYNi.jpg

All I see on the alt-coin boards is about how to make money....
rmKHT

Activity: 135
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:46:25 AM

I want to help your project. Can donate a small amount of BTC.
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:55:44 AM

Starting to read the anti botnet white paper and my first question is are botnet slaves really that much slower?

Could the same could be said for low end VPS's?

I've been trying to find some figures about average specs but I'm still looking. The majority of machines are probably just used for surfing the net, imagine the old PC some grandma has that she never installed anti virus on... old, useless, but it still ok for email and basic surfing, and since they don't do any banking or need a secure PC they don't care so much about security.

The problem is that there are literally MILLIONS of these machines all over the world. They hash very, very slowly individually, but add them together and you have a massive mining network... for free.

VPS's are not the issue, if you want to use one you'll have to pay for it... free beats that every time.

Thank you for your response.

I think you have a good idea on trying to cutout the botnets, I really do, BUT I think that will be a nasty double edged sword due to you may end up cutting out a large portion of your potential user base. A good example of this would be between folks who have either A: slow internet (still a wide spread issue) or B: folks who do not have SSDs, 32G of ram etc etc who's computers might not meet your specs.

Again, great idea and really, probably the only way to deal with said issue... I just don't see how you can find a happy medium. Though I would love to be proved wrong.

And yeah, right on about hash consolidation... its not just a BTC issue.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
travel-trousers (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 01:52:36 AM

I think you have a good idea on trying to cutout the botnets, I really do, BUT I think that will be a nasty double edged sword due to you may end up cutting out a large portion of your potential user base. A good example of this would be between folks who have either A: slow internet (still a wide spread issue) or B: folks who do not have SSDs, 32G of ram etc etc who's computers might not meet your specs.

This is being built for everyone, so you wouldn't need a super fast computer with SSD or loads of ram, just a USB flash stick. And while slow internet is a problem, it's more an issue of latency... the total confirmations will only be less than a k of code, which should be small enough to use even on dial up... if people truly have a terrible connection (on satellite) then they can (for example) check a box so they have to send 100 confirms to each node asking and the initial encryption is 10 times slower.

The Satellite confirm takes 3 seconds, but a botnet on satellite needs 20....

We can still tell they're not on a botnet... hopefully Smiley
Olano

Activity: 115

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:02:35 AM

The anti-botnet feature is very interesting. Will be keeping an eye on this.
travel-trousers (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 02:12:29 AM

I want to help your project. Can donate a small amount of BTC.

Thanks, PM sent
travel-trousers (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 01:08:36 PM

Today we hit 500 sign ups....

A few of those are doubles which we will deal with when we organise the giveaway...

good work team!
chuck_0

Activity: 51

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:14:56 PM

Today we hit 500 sign ups....

A few of those are doubles which we will deal with when we organise the giveaway...

good work team!

Yes sorry I signed up twice because I though I had a problem. Did you send the initial confirmation email ? My thought process was : oh I didn't get the email, maybe I didn't type my email properly. 
Fastpow

Activity: 322
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:21:26 PM

So, i can do the Dutch translation for you. Can you send me a PM about what you're expecting of the translation?
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:26:26 PM

very interesting and no ipo shit. Count on me. Signed up on webite  Smiley
travel-trousers (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 06:53:17 PM

Yes sorry I signed up twice because I though I had a problem. Did you send the initial confirmation email ? My thought process was : oh I didn't get the email, maybe I didn't type my email properly. 

I suspect a few people did that... there's no confirmation email.... I've promised to only send three emails .... :p
simieon

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:58:28 PM

im working on a danish translation for the scandinavian subforums (the scandinavian languages are so closely related that they're pretty much interchangeable, which is why i assume they have a collective forum too), its coming along pretty slowly, and will probably take a few days before i finish. partly because im lazy, and partly because the wording of the original isnt very well suited for direct translation without sounding..  uhm..  linguistically challenged. so a lot of thought have to be put into each sentence to phrase it so the message comes across exactly as intended by the original author. im not doing very good though, so if someone else wants to do this, and can finish faster, or do a better job than me, please speak up, so i dont end up spending a lot of time on nothing Smiley

nice job on the coin btw. its the first one that im genuinely exited for. i truly hope that you will be able to make all the features you want work together.
rhaikh

Activity: 50

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:11:25 PM

Assume you have a botnet and a beefy central node.  Why couldn't you spoof speed ability to ability of botnet, offload PoW to botnet when requested and return result through central node?  Central node would do DB lookup.
travel-trousers (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 11:39:07 PM

Assume you have a botnet and a beefy central node.  Why couldn't you spoof speed ability to ability of botnet, offload PoW to botnet when requested and return result through central node?  Central node would do DB lookup.

Great question!! Each client's DB is linked to it's WalletID and each would be at least 8Gb each, so this central node would have to have to generate and store this database for each wallet. Of course they could have lots of 256gb+ drives storing 32 databases each or even racks of SSDs... the drawback is that to use the entire botnet would require an investment of tens of thousands of Gb of fast storage... and each botnet clients would farm pennies worth Worldo every week.

Short answer, they wouldn't bother...

Botnets work so effectively because they are free, you set them to work and forget about them. The addition of a simple idea to slow them down is enough for the controllers to just look for an easier coin to exploit.

You get an extra share when we launch, make sure you sign up too! Smiley
pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:47:30 PM

Sounds fair. I would like to be early adopter. From description in first post it seems that right now I am, yep?

travel-trousers (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 04:04:21 PM

Sounds fair. I would like to be early adopter. From description in first post it seems that right now I am, yep?

If you signed up on the website? yeah...
pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:20:12 PM

If you signed up on the website? yeah...

Yep I did it.

pac

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 01:52:10 PM

How will ₩orldo know how much potential I have? Is it going to detect my hardware and just give me a score or do you have to run a benchmark to prove what you can do?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: