Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:37:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Was the recent price spike due to hacked accounts?  (Read 1403 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 08:39:13 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2011, 08:55:12 AM by zby

As users may have been aware of, the Bitcoin Forum (https://bitcointalk.org/ - independent of Mt.Gox) has been the target of various attacks during the past few days.

As a result of this event, some of the Bitcoin Forum users` accounts may have been compromised.  Subsequently, some of the information have been used to conduct unauthorized orders, resulting in unusually high trade activities.  

Link: https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20433652-resolved-outage-11804-unexecuted-trades - it is not clear if it was the massive buy orders that originated from the hacked accounts -  but it looks likely.  It is also possible that the other anomalies observed were a result of the admins work.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sekioh

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:00:45 AM

No.

If you read what you linked, the red was 'normal activity' the blue spikes are the hacked trades, which seem to be barely touching any of the market if this is truthful.

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:13:30 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2011, 09:34:13 AM by zby

As shown in the graph below, the orders according to the red line have been executed.  However, all orders below and above the red line reflect the unusual activities within the last 12 hours.
This is the exact wording (and this is what I read) - they don't actually say the red line was 'normal activity' (as you apparently read it) - only that these were the trades that were executed and that the rest were 'unusual'.  But even if we interpret it your way - the coincidence would still be suspicious.  All of this is rather foggy - but yeah - it's not unusual for mtgox.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 01:05:25 PM

one of my buy orders at $5.8 yesterday was reversed last night
Minsc

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 02:04:45 PM

How does Gox reverse a buy order if you buy and then withdraw coins right away?

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 05:49:38 PM

Either they don't, or they pay out of their own pocket to do it.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 06:40:05 PM

I didn't withdraw right away, but i assume they would put in negative balance for w/e amount is due if you withdraw right away
thing is by my records i already sold those btc's (I had balance in BTC and USD and trades on both sides), I keep record what i purchase and sale and after reversal had to adjust my positions, good thing I've spotted it early or it could have put me in bad position where I would do a sale counting those coins in which were pulled out.

this is the message in my account history
"Cancel trade: Invalid trade matching (BTC bought: [tid:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] XXXX BTC at $5.80000)" with refund amount

Something definitely out of ordinary was happening at mtgox yesterday
Sekioh

Activity: 181

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 07:24:34 PM

As shown in the graph below, the orders according to the red line have been executed.  However, all orders below and above the red line reflect the unusual activities within the last 12 hours.
This is the exact wording (and this is what I read) - they don't actually say the red line was 'normal activity' (as you apparently read it) - only that these were the trades that were executed and that the rest were 'unusual'.  But even if we interpret it your way - the coincidence would still be suspicious.  All of this is rather foggy - but yeah - it's not unusual for mtgox.

I may have misread that that way, but still, doesn't seem right that if it was a single person or single group that they would do many flip trades like that. If anything you'd just straight dump them on market fill and it'd be a single steep line going right up and down, not a steady 'move' and jitter at a certain price range.

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>
heatherk

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 07:38:28 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2011, 01:45:05 AM by heatherk

One of my accounts appears to be locked, but I never did anything wrong. I'm in contact, but was this from the SA attack? Did they really manage to hack accounts? If they can read my private messages why would they think I was involved? My on/off bf has an account here--I'm so worried and confused.
mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 07:44:22 PM

Rumor has it MtGox has been even more seriously compromised:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43678.0

If there's anything at all to it, the prudent thing for MtGox to do would be to halt all trading, require e-mail confirmation of all withdrawals and close the whole exchange down until this breach has been thoroughly investigated.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 08:56:01 PM

Rumor has it MtGox has been even more seriously compromised:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43678.0

If there's anything at all to it, the prudent thing for MtGox to do would be to halt all trading, require e-mail confirmation of all withdrawals and close the whole exchange down until this breach has been thoroughly investigated.
This isn't in mtgox interest though. They aren't generating revenue for the time trading is halted and would most likely loose their position as #1 exchange afterwards. This could happen nevertheless from the current outlook.
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 06:10:10 PM

This isn't in mtgox interest though. They aren't generating revenue for the time trading is halted and would most likely loose their position as #1 exchange afterwards. This could happen nevertheless from the current outlook.

I thought so too in June, but they picked up right where they left off.  They didn't earn anything on trades during that time, but it certainly doesn't appear their customer base fled.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: