Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:14:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 790 people own half the bitcoins  (Read 5386 times)
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:08:31 PM

there will never be more than 1 million people with more than 1 bitcoin at any one time
Interesting topic. How was this derived? According to the table, about 329k people hold BTC1+

It is not possible to make a distribution with the current model, which would produce such a result. The parameters are there in the original thread (link in the OP). The number of people with BTC1+ will increase for some more time, and start to decrease after a while.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nmersulypnem

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:34:47 AM

It's obvious that a portion of these 790 people have recently started using their wealth to keep the price stable on a few major exchanges.  Since the price of bitcoin is entirely confidence driven it is easy for the whales to sell anything over 800 and buy anything under 750.  It even generates a profit for them.  Indeed, it is the ONLY way to defend their holdings since they could never liquidate so many coins, and an unstable currency is ultimately worthless.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 12:39:08 AM

Almost two million people own all the bitcoins? Two million bitcoin users. Does anyone else find this figure high?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:18:45 AM

Based on the above, what a rational person who wants Bitcoin to succeed should do, is to work as much as possible and buy as much bitcoins as possible until he cannot reasonably increase his position any more. Then quit his job and become full-time bitcoiner, to leverage both his knowledge of bitcoin, and his time, and his wealth, to make a great impact.

I mean I'd love to but it's a bit risky don't you think. It's still just an experiment..

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:33:53 AM

Almost two million people own all the bitcoins? Two million bitcoin users. Does anyone else find this figure high?
Not really, there are over 1.1 million blockchain wallet users. And iirc there have been over 5 mill qt downloads. Add coinbase and a bunch of others, divide by users with multiple wallets, 2 million is possibly on the low side.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:18:17 AM

Based on the above, what a rational person who wants Bitcoin to succeed should do, is to work as much as possible and buy as much bitcoins as possible until he cannot reasonably increase his position any more. Then quit his job and become full-time bitcoiner, to leverage both his knowledge of bitcoin, and his time, and his wealth, to make a great impact.

I mean I'd love to but it's a bit risky don't you think. It's still just an experiment..

I mean only quit your job when you have cashed out at least $1M worth of bitcoins, and still keep the majority...  Grin

This is possible now for hundreds of people, but as the price rises, it will soon work out for thousands, 10000s etc.

How many Bitcoin Centers we have in the world now? NY, Montreal, Tel Aviv? I bet there'll be a hundred of them by Christmas.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:19:59 PM

I mean only quit your job when you have cashed out at least $1M worth of bitcoins, and still keep the majority...  Grin

This is possible now for hundreds of people, but as the price rises, it will soon work out for thousands, 10000s etc.

How many Bitcoin Centers we have in the world now? NY, Montreal, Tel Aviv? I bet there'll be a hundred of them by Christmas.

Do what you like to do, then you'll never want to quit. Smiley

Hoping that growth continues. But I think it's well possible that we have to wait a bit longer for mass adoption. Accessibility atm is not at a level apt for the average joe.

Thanks for the insightful stats (even if speculative)!

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:39:15 PM

Do what you like to do, then you'll never want to quit. Smiley

Hold all your bitcoins, and soon you will need to quit.

I did when I became too rich and too busy to take care of my bitcoins, my mission in life and my job. At this point I could clearly keep only 2, so the job had to go.

boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 01:41:31 PM

It's obvious that a portion of these 790 people have recently started using their wealth to keep the price stable on a few major exchanges.  Since the price of bitcoin is entirely confidence driven it is easy for the whales to sell anything over 800 and buy anything under 750.  It even generates a profit for them.  Indeed, it is the ONLY way to defend their holdings since they could never liquidate so many coins, and an unstable currency is ultimately worthless.

You could be right, the price has clearly been extremely stable for a few weeks which is strange

Chronomagnon

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:50:42 PM

So how many bitcoin do I need to own in order to be able to quit my job within the next 6 - 12 months?

I don't care about big houses, flash clothes or fancy cars, I just want a roof over my head, food on the table and all my free time to focus on music!
StarenseN
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 1362

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 10:00:36 AM

So how many bitcoin do I need to own in order to be able to quit my job within the next 6 - 12 months?

I don't care about big houses, flash clothes or fancy cars, I just want a roof over my head, food on the table and all my free time to focus on music!

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 10:28:12 AM

It's mostly but not entirely confidence driven. I have at times looked at bitcoin purchases as similar to putting money in the collection plate at church. I was making a contribution to something I believed could make the world a better place, and if I happened to profit, that was just a bonus.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: