Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:38:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asrock H81 BTC Pro Board and Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X  (Read 2371 times)
apple_talk (OP)

Activity: 473
Merit: 250

"Proof-of-Asset Protocol"

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:45:44 PM

Looking to start mining rig.

Have 5 x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
Does Asrock H81 BTC Pro works in real life to support 5 of these GPU without any issues 24x7?

Is so what power supply & how many needed? any brand recommend?

powered/un-powered risers?

what would be the cheapest CPU recommended?
Memory needed?

Thanks

|

|

▄
           ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄▄▄▄█████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████

█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
▀▀▀▀█████  █████████████
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████
                       ▀
|

$1,5 M
|

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
      ▄█████▀▀███▀▀█████▄
    ▄███▀     ███     ▀███▄
   ████       ███       ████
  ███▀                   ▀███
 ███▀                     ▀███
▄██▀       █████████       ▀██▄
███                         ███
███        █████████        ███
▀██▄       █████████       ▄██▀
 ███▄                     ▄███
  ███▄                   ▄███
    ▀███▄     ███     ▄███▀
      ▀█████▄▄███▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
|

|

<>
<>
<>
<>

GITHUB
TWITTER
YOUTUBE
FACEBOOK
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
apple_talk (OP)

Activity: 473
Merit: 250

"Proof-of-Asset Protocol"

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:54:02 PM

This is for Alt Coin (Lite Coin)

|

|

▄
           ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄▄▄▄█████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████

█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
█████████  █████████████
▀▀▀▀█████  █████████████
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████
                       ▀
|

$1,5 M
|

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
      ▄█████▀▀███▀▀█████▄
    ▄███▀     ███     ▀███▄
  ███▀                   ▀███
 ███▀                     ▀███
▄██▀       █████████       ▀██▄
███        █████████        ███
▀██▄       █████████       ▄██▀
 ███▄                     ▄███
  ███▄                   ▄███
    ▀███▄     ███     ▄███▀
      ▀█████▄▄███▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
|

|

<>
<>
<>
<>

GITHUB
TWITTER
YOUTUBE
FACEBOOK
mindtrip
Legendary

Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 10:48:58 PM

I have the ASROCK H81 BTC with 4X 290X Cards running so far I ran out of riser cables so I will soon be able to test adding a 5th and 6th GPU. For Power Draw between my 2 rigs with these cards I would say they average about 300-350 Watts per GPU under full load my 2 GPU rig with i7 CPU is pulling a total of 750 Watts from the wall under full load. I would say you need about 1750 Watts for the cards plus additional overhead to cover the CPU Hard Drive and MB depending on what you are using so I would suggest you go with 1 X 1300 Watt PSU's put 3 GPU's on that and 1X 1000 Watt with 2 GPU's and System Components you should have enough power to handle everything with some room. As for brand I have tried Antec, Enermax, EVGA all work well. the Antec PSU's actually have a link cable to fire up both PSU's when the motherboard turns on eliminating the need for any PSU adapter cables which is nice but they are harder to find I have 2 X 1300 Platinum units ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371064) there back in stock again Smiley

For CPU I have most of my rigs running on a i3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116947
since its the lowest power draw of 35W not the cheapest but work well with my setup

You could also use this much cheaper but 55W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116950

As for RAM you need at minimum 8GB to run these cards I am going to do some further testing with 16GB to see if i can get any performance boost with my multi card rig. I have one rig with 2 290x's, i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 1300 Watt PSU running Windows 7 I am getting 960 Kh Each

My other Rig has 4 290X, i3, 8GB RAM, 2 X 1300Watt PSU's Running Windows 8.1 and I am only getting between 820-890 kh per card when i mirror the settings from my 2 GPU rig I have one card spike up to 960Kh and all other cards drop to 770KH

I still have more tinkering to do but for now i left it this was since its the most stable and highest has rate overall cards.

I hope this helps I spent many days reading forums to get this setup. I do not have the Tri X cards so there is a chance they might draw a little more power with the 3 fans.
kcobra

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:47:38 AM

I know a lot of people say you need a decent amount of memory for scrypt mining but I still don't understand why. If I look in taskmgr I see cgminer taking up ~55MB. I am using two 290's. Thoughts?
kcobra

Activity: 87

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:51:00 AM

Looking to start mining rig.

Have 5 x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
Does Asrock H81 BTC Pro works in real life to support 5 of these GPU without any issues 24x7?

Is so what power supply & how many needed? any brand recommend?

powered/un-powered risers?

what would be the cheapest CPU recommended?
Memory needed?

Thanks

Concerning power supplies XFX is a good choice. They are rebadged Seasonics but generally a little cheaper than other brands, especially after rebate.
phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 11:52:35 PM

I know a lot of people say you need a decent amount of memory for scrypt mining but I still don't understand why. If I look in taskmgr I see cgminer taking up ~55MB. I am using two 290's. Thoughts?
A lot of people are clueless. I have 5x 290s per mobo with 4GB of ram, and never had an issue.  2GB of ram should be more then enough for a linux miner.  That said, the distros like bamt are messed and seem to eat RAM, but my gentoo installs have 90% free memory no matter how many cards are installed.

The Asrock BTC boards will run 5 or 6 R9 290s no problem.
mindtrip
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 01:43:40 AM

A lot of people are clueless. I have 5x 290s per mobo with 4GB of ram, and never had an issue.  2GB of ram should be more then enough for a linux miner.  That said, the distros like bamt are messed and seem to eat RAM, but my gentoo installs have 90% free memory no matter how many cards are installed.

I am curious on your 5 card rig what are you getting per card? Do you ahve the 290 or the 290x's? What model card?
phzi

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:53:28 AM

I am curious on your 5 card rig what are you getting per card? Do you ahve the 290 or the 290x's? What model card?

Right now I have 3x 5 card rigs, all with R9 290 (non-X).  I get 900KH/s/card consistently (899-901KH always).  I also have a 4 card rig with Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x cards, which all get 945KH/s/card consistently except for one card that won't take the memory overclock and runs at 905KH/s.
mindtrip
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 02:21:54 PM

I have multiple rigs running 2 X 290X Cards all hitting 980KH for some reason on my 4 card rig with mirrored settings I can only get 710KH per card I thought it may have had to do with the ram so I upped it to 16GB no change I suspect its an issue with the thread concurrency being different with 4 cards then it is with 2. If anyone has any insight into this I would greatly appreciate and if it helps id me happy to donate for your support Wink
CSM00

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:48:12 PM

With less than 3-4GB or a 32bit OS, you can run into issues  - "Error -5: Enqueueing kernel onto command queue" when attempting to start cgminer.

There are brief periods of large memory allocations and CPU for the Xorg and cgminer processes.

I saw this when I built a 6x rig and was using 2GB of RAM since its what I had laying around.  With 2GB, all sorts of issues.  With 4GB, no problem.

mindtrip
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 05:35:13 AM

With less than 3-4GB or a 32bit OS, you can run into issues  - "Error -5: Enqueueing kernel onto command queue" when attempting to start cgminer.

There are brief periods of large memory allocations and CPU for the Xorg and cgminer processes.

I saw this when I built a 6x rig and was using 2GB of RAM since its what I had laying around.  With 2GB, all sorts of issues.  With 4GB, no problem.

I agree with the new cards I had to have 8GB of RAM with 2 Cards or CGMiner would crash with the enumerating kernal error. On your Multi card Rigs are you using regular CGMiner 3.7.2?
phzi

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:36:39 PM

I am running 5 count R9 290 on a single board with 2G of ram, with no.problems.  You're setup is faulty if you cannot do the same.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: