Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:30:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fate of Satoshi, a Bitcoin graphic adventure [CrowdF + Equity]  (Read 11207 times)
Voodah (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:44:36 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 07:08:21 PM by Voodah

The Fate of Satoshi, a Bitcoin graphic adventure [CrowdF + Equity]

The Plot

Somewhere in a not so distant future, Bitcoin has become one of the world currencies, leading  the way for a new world economy. But not everything that glitters is gold: new continental government-corporations have arisen as a way to face the changing times. They’ve seeked more and more to regain the control and power lost through the separation of state and money.

Now things are stirring again and strange rumours are starting to be heard…

In the midst of it all stands Magnus, who has been studying Satoshi and Bitcoin history for 15 years. An ominous call will set off a chain of events that will catapult him through an adventure featuring corporate-governments, secret agents, the resistance, evil bankers, eccentric early adopters and above all, Bitcoin.

---

The Proposal

1. Objectives as a Bitcoin Project

+ To become the first game fully funded and centered around Bitcoin, and in a minor way, a success case for Bitcoin crowdfunding.
+ Educate on the history and use of Bitcoin (featuring internal wallets, transactions and use cases as part of the game’s puzzles and plot).
+ Educate on the perils lying ahead, and the possible costs of losing freedom and decentralization.
+ Obviously, to spread the word.

2. Game objectives

+ The game is a point and click graphic adventure; a throwback for all of us older gamers, but with a new modern & minimalistic high quality graphic style.
+ Agile storyline (as much as a graphic adventure can be, meaning we don’t want it to be a “think six hours about what you should do next” thing).
+ A comedic approach with serious undertones.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Voodah (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:44:47 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 07:13:32 PM by Voodah

3. Who are you and can you really do this?

First and foremost, we have already started, but let me get back to that later..

We are two brothers in Argentina: a developer (myself, Santiago, 30) and a painter and illustrator (Franco, 28). In addition we have another developer, a music producer and a 3D artist already in line.

I have been in the tech industry and developing for the last 12 years, and a gamer since forever. Gaming related, in 2009 I made a service offering SSH tunnel connections to non-US World of Warcraft players for reduced latency. In 2012 I created a service for competitive e-sports teams to arrange and organize scrims (practice matches).

Franco is the artist. He is a painter, illustrator, arts teacher and hardcore gamer. You can see some of his oil and acrylic works on http://www.francoboselli.com.ar.

In 2012, together with our second programmer, we launched End of the Worlds, an HTML5 and ImpactJS proof of concept for a hardcore small game that tries to capture the essence of a powerful mage. The concept was successful and thousands of games were played in a few weeks. Since then, we’ve done a complete graphic makeover and the game is currently being ported to a full fledge engine for future inclusion in Steam.

You can still play the original game at http://www.endoftheworlds.com.ar (I dare you to try to get a top spot on the ladder..). Also, here are some sweet screenshots after the graphic makeover and in it’s current state:

http://imgur.com/FPEe6xP    http://imgur.com/bF4Hdin
http://imgur.com/vu2x7kj    http://imgur.com/rIDnveH

As I pointed out earlier, we have already started development on The Fate of Satoshi, so here is a small preview of the early assets (and very much in a constant state of iteration):

Magnus (lead character):

http://imgur.com/1jVJSxz    

https://i.imgur.com/be50m1R

Eccentric early adopter:

https://i.imgur.com/O8SPKnZ

Mystery cryptographer:

https://i.imgur.com/liz3iMS

First scene (Magnus’ apartment):

https://i.imgur.com/idMM3pT

In-game preview:

https://i.imgur.com/7G3mFza

4. Very nice, so what’s the plan?

As much as we enjoyed making our first game, we learned that it takes a very serious amount of time and energy. We made that one in our free time, but the whole process took a lot more time and effort than expected, and even then sometimes we just were not able to give the game the attention it needed. The problem is of course, the need of a day job and having to pay the bills.

We want to do things differently this time and dedicate ourselves fully to this. To do so we need to be more ambitious, and ask for everyone’s help. The sale of half the game’s equity will allow us to work on the project full time while also enable us to get more talent involved in the project (specifically, we want to pay for quality music and audio; and helping hands for both the coding and art because timing is critical) . We’ve thought about it a lot and think we’ve come to a pretty good model.
Voodah (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:44:58 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2014, 08:13:21 PM by Voodah

5. The CrowdFunding + Equity Share model, Payments and Escrow

(this section is copied over in the BUY thread. Please refer to there before you proceed:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=437004 )

We want to fund the game production by selling pre-orders and a total of 49% stake in it.

All of the game’s sales income (excluding the Equity sale itself) will be split among us (51%) and the Equity holders (49% total, 0.1% per share, 490 shares), in the form of monthly BTC dividends to the address used for payment. From release and till the end of times.

BUT we can only go ahead with the project if we get at least 20% of the Equity “funded” or sold (which amounts to 10.000 USD or 12 BTC at current rate). This is the bare minimum that would enable us to cover the costs to do this professionally and in a sensible timeframe.

For this reason, we have requested the help of gweedo (BitcoinTalk Hero Member) to do all transactions through a trusted and well respected escrow, granting us the possibility of doing a full refund if our target is not met.

The payment addresses will be held and posted by gweedo below (I’ll copy them on this opening  post), and they will only be released to us IF and when we reach the goal of 20% stake sold. If we don’t manage to do that in a maximum of 45 days, all funds will be returned.

That said, we want to make this happen and keep it as simple (and profitable) as possible for everyone involved so there will be just two tiers:

(I’ll keep the BTC prices updated twice a day according to market fluctuations, please always check this or the BUY thread for the latest price before you proceed)

+ Tier I: Full game pre-order + early access copies (no equity!)
Price: 10 USD worth of BTC: 0.0164 BTC at current rate

Send BTC to
1sHPHTwXg1EoXj9bTNZT1eHTxKj6gVu6t
and post in the Buy thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=437004

+ Tier II: Equity shares + Full game pre-order + early access copies
490 shares total, worth 0.1% of the game each.
You can get as many shares as you want.
1 game copy per original shareholder (not share!)
Price per share: 50 USD worth of BTC: 0.0818 BTC at current rate

Send BTC to
1Hm89NoTN9MZ1Sy4H944f37AapWrtyypmy
(to buy X number of shares, send the total amount (X * 0.0818) in a single transaction !)
and post in the Buy thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=437004

+ Donators: If you feel you appreciate the idea but won’t be playing and wanna just help out:

Send BTC to:
1Mw6YEiGaZFoCnLGcJR39PBxWmKwqQwkXB

IMPORTANT: Make sure you send the BTC from an address you fully control (ie you own the private key) and in a single payment ! We will be doing all accounting, tracking and confirmation through the addresses and BTC itself: we’ll be requiring a signed message when the time comes to deliver the game and all dividends for Equity holders will be payed out to the address you used to pay. It is absolutely vital that the address you used can receive BTC back and that you control the private key.

6. Why this is a good idea for you and for us

+ You’ll be helping Bitcoin with both promotion and education in the broader fully untapped community of gamers, and potentially profiting from it.

+ Graphic Adventures are experiencing a full throttle revival with awesome titles like Deponia, Kentucky Route Zero, Broken Age and many others. Most of us have enjoyed and hold fond memories of at least one of them at some point or another.

+ We’ve put a price on shares (as opposed to auctioning) and in doing so capped our max funding so that you as an investor achieve ROI no matter what. We’re aiming at full ROI for investors at around less than 2500 game copies sold. This is actually a very conservative (some would even say lousy) number for indie game sales .

+ There are 1.500.000  Bitcoin users worldwide, but there are over 70.000.000 gamers if you count Steam alone.

+ This is a fun different risk free Bitcoin investment. If we do not get enough, you get your BTC back. If we do get initial funding, then it’s up to all of us to promote, help spread the game and turn this into a great performing experiment and investment.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:49:59 PM

Okay this is already looking extremely interesting. Now write a book, publish it and let everyone know about BitCoin.
Voodah (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:34:17 PM

I really hope some of you guys help us make this a reality; but either way, all of you reading, do please take a minute and give us feedback about what you think of the idea, the model or whatever comes to mind !

Feedback above all, please and thanks !!
byt411

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:49:31 PM

Oh, so this is a game? Lol i thought this was a dystopian book...  Tongue
Voodah (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:03:34 PM

YES, this is a game !

Sorry for the mislead, you posted before I could even finish completing the 3 posts.

And yes ! It's quite interesting and unique, or at least we think so Smiley
byt411

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:40:05 PM

YES, this is a game !

Sorry for the mislead, you posted before I could even finish completing the 3 posts.

Hmmmm... Can you please improvise on "click and find graphic adventure"?
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 01:18:05 AM

YES, this is a game !

I kinda like this idea, what is the due date to get the project funded, I can help funding after my project is finished.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Voodah (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 01:25:35 AM

I kinda like this idea, what is the due date to get the project funded, I can help funding after my project is finished.

Hey there,

Due date for funding is 45 days from today, roughly March 13, so there's plenty of time.

That would be great, we need all the help we can get both financially and to spread the word !

Thanks !

nippou

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:22:07 PM

Hey,

First of all - congratulations ! I love the idea of the game and the funding/equity model behind it.

Speaking of the equity - have you looked at the Counterparty protocol and decentralised exchange which just launched on top of the Bitcoin blockchain?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.0

It allows you to issue user generated assets and trade them from day 1 on the decentralised exchange for BTC. You could even pay dividends to the shareholders Smiley It is decentralised, operates on top of Bitcoin so as long Bitcoin is there the assets are safe.

It's still in beta but the core functionality is there. You might want to have a look:
http://www.blockscan.com/tx.aspx

Just a thought - I'd love to see these type of crypto-equity crowdfunding models being adopted by game developers. And for the first time ever it seems like the technology is there.

nippou

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:37:13 PM

Plus I'm guessing you could get some great exposure in the Counterparty community who could help you crowdfund the game and develop a first case study for the Counterparty protocol Smiley
freedomfighter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:51:31 PM

Hey,

First of all - congratulations ! I love the idea of the game and the funding/equity model behind it.

Speaking of the equity - have you looked at the Counterparty protocol and decentralised exchange which just launched on top of the Bitcoin blockchain?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.0

It allows you to issue user generated assets and trade them from day 1 on the decentralised exchange for BTC. You could even pay dividends to the shareholders Smiley It is decentralised, operates on top of Bitcoin so as long Bitcoin is there the assets are safe.

It's still in beta but the core functionality is there. You might want to have a look:
http://www.blockscan.com/tx.aspx

Just a thought - I'd love to see these type of crypto-equity crowdfunding models being adopted by game developers. And for the first time ever it seems like the technology is there.
"--------------------------------

+1

Yous should seriously look at this option + I'm sure the dev team there will want to help and support the 3 of you. can be a big win win.
btc_enigma

Activity: 688
Merit: 565

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:51:42 PM

Like the idea of the game ! Best of luck guys !

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:23:30 PM

Very cool idea Smiley
I really like point-and-click adventures, and the subject matter of course appeals to me.

Good luck!

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 03:11:47 PM

Very cool idea Smiley
I really like point-and-click adventures, and the subject matter of course appeals to me.

Good luck!

i really love that idea Wink maybe some rpg elements?
level up by not investing to prirate Wink
panonym

Help and Love one another ♥

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:30:52 PM

I like the idea Smiley

How long is the gameplay planned?
Will you add level/stories as time pass?
(just saying that a game finished in 30min that is never gonna be longer isn't that much appealing,
despite how much I like the project)

Linux/Mac/Win game? android game? pure web based only? (offline & MMO mode? =D
Post-IPO, what are the possibilities to buy the game?
Price? over 10$ game on android is viewed as very expensive...

What about piracy?
(lock system with bitcoin key would be awesome, 'but global selling become harder as you have to sell BTC for newbie to buy the game with it)

I like counterparty for the dividend system. Most neat solution, no need to care about transfer.
Works with XCP dividend (but I'm unaware of test giving BTC as dividend, theoretically it should work).
Anyway I doubt you will sell the game only in BTC, so at one point you must have enough BTC yourself (or buy more) to give the income dividend. (BTC or XCP)

Best of luck Wink
Alias

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

Money be green

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:05:33 PM

This is a really cool idea. I just bought my shares. Would it be possible for investors to get their names included in the game credits somewhere? =D

I would also like to highlight the utility of the Counterparty Protocol here - it would simplify and automate the dividend process and allow for shareholders to trade shares. Check it out! - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.0.

Thanks,
Al

In times of change, it is the learners who will inherit the earth, while the learned will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists.
Voodah (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:59:17 AM

Thanks a lot for the support !

Also thanks to everyone for pointing out the Counterparty Protocol. I had actually been following them when they launched, but I had quite a busy month, lost track of it and never got around to burning some BTC. I will look back into it, talk to the devs and see how we can make it work.

Now to answer some questions:

How long is the gameplay planned?
Will you add level/stories as time pass?

It's really too early to give you honest concrete answers on these two. We'll make it as long as possible but we definitely don't want to overstretch, either in time or resources. We'd rather have a fun short solid game, than a long drawn one with a dragging story. Regarding extra levels/parts, the story certainly allows for a second part about the aftermath, but we'll just have to wait and see how this one goes first.

Linux/Mac/Win game? android game? pure web based only? (offline & MMO mode? =D

Windows, Mac and Linux (on wine, but runs fine). Android is a possibility but we're rather worried about how it matches with our graphic styles, we're using spacey scenarios with unusual perspectives that might be complicated for small screen real estate.  
It is a classical graphic adventure, so fully offline and no MMO.

Post-IPO, what are the possibilities to buy the game?
Price? over 10$ game on android is viewed as very expensive...

Price will be in the 10-15$ range, to be bought on the usual places: site, desura, steam (though it might take a little time to get in).We'll try to steer clear of the bundles during the first 6 or so months.

What about piracy?
(lock system with bitcoin key would be awesome, 'but global selling become harder as you have to sell BTC for newbie to buy the game with it)

This is not a problem we can actually solve, so we're not gonna really concern ourselves with it. Smiley

This is a really cool idea. I just bought my shares. Would it be possible for investors to get their names included in the game credits somewhere? =D

Definitely, I should have explicited this of course ! We also intend for in-game references to the past (our current) bitcoin culture and personas, so there's room for some in-game "appearances"...  
Voodah (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:14:24 AM

Also guys, here is an interview by the guys at BitScan with a couple more questions answered.

Be sure to check it out !
http://bitscan.com/bitnews/item/a-first-for-bitcoin-a-video-game-with-bitcoin-at-its-core

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: