Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:14:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your electricity costs?  (Read 7065 times)
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 12:07:16 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2011, 09:05:32 PM by stonetz

Searched and couldn't find this. I want to compare electricity rates around the world or US and if possible what your energy comes from.
Where I'm at there are other plans available and if I go big enough it might be dirt cheap but as of now it's horrible.
If there is already something similar then I apologize.

StoneTZ: $ .25 USD / Kw - Chile - Guessing my power is from oil or coal. Sad
DSG: Around 0.1USD/kWh Iceland from geothermal and hydroelectric sources
Littleshop: .11USD/kwh
Dude: .10/kWh could be from hydro electric or coal.
Jkminkov: $0,126/$0,084(night rate) and rising 5% every year
Egypt: .03kw/hour

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
touristas

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 12:44:33 PM

I suppose it should be from oil like most power stations at the moment.
And prices are only gonna go up as oil wells are drying up faster by the year(or day  Huh )

If you have some money on the side (5000-8000 US $) the best  to do is set up solarpanels with battarys (if you have sun like me) and power up your rigs for free  Grin Cheesy

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 01:05:00 PM

yeah I was looking in to wind. Where I'm at solar might not work all year and I live on the coast so we've got a lot of fog / clouds.
If the power is free (being paid off) then I just have to worry about paying off hardware and that seems more reasonable.

I'm just thinking 5kw worth of off the grid power gen is going to cost me a lot of money. If anyone has  a good idea about the cheapest / best way to do it let me know  Grin

I'm going to continue to research it and see what I can do.

moneyandtech.com
dsg

Activity: 37
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 01:08:08 PM

Around 0.1USD/kWh from geothermal and hydroelectric sources. Smiley

Actually Iceland would be a good place for a large-scale mining operation, as you can get electricity quite a bit cheaper if you're a company buying in bulk (especially off-hours).
touristas

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 01:39:31 PM

I know the @#$% things cost enough.

I know for sure you can add up kw to the free electric system in time.
Start out small and build up as time goes by if all go good.

Im researching for a 5kw system for my house.I can go up to 20 but it is very expensive in my country around 80000euro for the 20kw
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 03:02:20 PM

About 11 cents per kilowatt hour here.  Right now as we are still in heating mode, part of the price (about 1/3) of the power goes towards reducing heating costs.  When the summer comes around it is much worse as nearly 100% (actually I am not sure of this number, can anyone help???) of the cost of electricity also increases the cost of cooling. 

Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 03:50:18 PM

When the summer comes around it is much worse as nearly 100% (actually I am not sure of this number, can anyone help???) of the cost of electricity also increases the cost of cooling.
If you mean using air conditioning to remove heat that makes it a lot more expensive. A residential AC cooled by outside air wastes about 40% of the input energy, so you need about 1.67 Watts for the AC to remove 1 W of heat from the miner. That means the total electricity cost for mining will be 167% higher.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 03:54:16 PM

I know the @#$% things cost enough.

I know for sure you can add up kw to the free electric system in time.
Start out small and build up as time goes by if all go good.

Im researching for a 5kw system for my house.I can go up to 20 but it is very expensive in my country around 80000euro for the 20kw

Wind looks like it's really involved and solar seems so low.
I'd like to be off the grid for a lot of other reasons too but the initial investment is huge.

I look at it like this I could drop 20k USD and get I don't know lets say 4kw to 10kw of power

or

20k in hardware = 30+ 5970's chomping away and that's a shit ton of hashing.
The return on investment for alternative energy at this point is slow as hell.

moneyandtech.com

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 03:55:42 PM

When the summer comes around it is much worse as nearly 100% (actually I am not sure of this number, can anyone help???) of the cost of electricity also increases the cost of cooling.
If you mean using air conditioning to remove heat that makes it a lot more expensive. A residential AC cooled by outside air wastes about 40% of the input energy, so you need about 1.67 Watts for the AC to remove 1 W of heat from the miner. That means the total electricity cost for mining will be 167% higher.

But does 1kw of computing = 1kw of heat? Some of the energy is used up internally right?

moneyandtech.com
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 04:47:42 PM

All the energy has to end up in the form of mechanical, chemical or thermal energy, or light. So any part of that energy that does not end up as light going out a window eventually ends up as heat in your house.

Edit: My power is .10/kWh could be from hydro electric or coal.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 05:06:21 PM

All the energy has to end up in the form of mechanical, chemical or thermal energy, or light. So any part of that energy that does not end up as light going out a window eventually ends up as heat in your house.

Edit: My power is .10/kWh could be from hydro electric or coal.

It should be noted that "light" encompasses not just visible light, but also infrared, radio, etc and could possibly escape the house even without a window. But with FCC compliant computing hardware and cases, the amount of this electromagnetic radiation that escapes is negligible. As such, you can assume for general calculations that 1W of electricity used ends up eventually as 1W of heat introduced into the house.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
jkminkov

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 05:09:56 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2011, 05:37:38 PM by jkminkov

domestic tariffs are $0,126/$0,084(night rate) and rising 5% every year

edit: bulgaria

.:31211457:. 100 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 05:31:44 PM

domestic tariffs are $0,126/$0,084(night rate) and rising 5% every year

Which country is that?

moneyandtech.com
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 05:35:48 PM

Wow.  Worse then I thought.  I may need to move to liquid cooling to take heat outside. 

xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 05:44:14 PM

Wow.  Worse then I thought.  I may need to move to liquid cooling to take heat outside. 

Your liquid cooling system's radiator is still going to dump all of that heat into the house unless you have long pipes leading to a radiator outside of your house.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 05:48:17 PM

Your liquid cooling system's radiator is still going to dump all of that heat into the house unless you have long pipes leading to a radiator outside of your house.

I was thinking about a giant manifold system to run to a few radiators outside. I'm just not sure how well it would work.
The other thing is the cost involved. Waterblocks are going to run you about 80USD give or take (probably more) then all the fittings / hose / radiators etc.
I think if you did one or two big loops and ran it externally it could work though. If you add 100usd to each card averaged out it could get expensive. Interesting to see what the gains for the OC would look like and if they'd justify it.

moneyandtech.com
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 07:38:19 PM

That is why I said 'take the heat outside.'   Smiley

I would use liquid cooling and put the radiator outside of the air conditioned space. 

os008

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 08:42:47 PM

.03$/KW here in Egypt; it's tiered by the way.

2x5850 @ 600[M|K]H/s
theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 09:02:08 PM

Electricity costs here are $.09/kwh in the winter and $.14/kwh in the summer.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2011, 09:05:13 PM

.03$/KW here in Egypt; it's tiered by the way.

Tiered how? Buy more gets cheaper or more expensive?

moneyandtech.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: