Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:12:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ANNOUNCE...New Website  (Read 1800 times)
BitcoinRedLight (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 12:35:01 AM

Bitcoin has been taking it hard on the chin for many weeks now.

I hope you will find this site encouraging and a reinvigoration of some of the elemental reasons which have given rise to our radical times and Bitcoin's radical response.

It is a, thinking, men's magazine. It is unapologetically pro: Bitcoin, precious metals and economic/political sanity. However, it is not without sensible critique, whenever useful.

I suggest starting here and hit the audio:

http://bitcoinredlight.com/1546/bankerslife/

Comments welcome, support donations gladly accepted, keep the faith.

Jack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
logansryche

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 12:37:24 AM

Nicely designed site, did you make that yourself?
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 01:05:46 AM

looks pretty good, how long has it been up.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 01:14:48 AM

I fuckin' like it! I truly fuckin' like it! Sorry for the curse word(s) but for a second there I was visited by the ghost of George Carlin. Seriouly, though--I fuckin' like it!
BitcoinRedLight (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 10:28:16 PM

Nicely designed site, did you make that yourself?

Thank you for the compliment, logan. And, yes, I did design it. I wanted to quickly convey the 'red light' tone and then let the content flow out of that feel.
BitcoinRedLight (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 10:40:19 PM

looks pretty good, how long has it been up.

Thanks, I appreciate that. It has been a working beta for several weeks. It sprang out of my excitement for Bitcoin and disgust of the abusive central banking system...like so many others feel. In addition, I genuinely believe that Bitcoin is part of a larger picture which can increasingly lead one into greater personal liberation.

Please feel free to visit anytime. I'm not going to make a promise of schedule, since I don't know myself. But I will continue with content as my time allows and to the degree that folks find it useful, helpful, interesting.

BitcoinRedLight (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 10:50:48 PM

I fuckin' like it! I truly fuckin' like it! Sorry for the curse word(s) but for a second there I was visited by the ghost of George Carlin. Seriouly, though--I fuckin' like it!

Love the enthusiasm! Thank you Phin.

I personally use the site to help pump myself up for facing a world that is rapidly disintegrating.

One of my concerns was that Bitcoin folks can become somewhat myopic in spending all their time hyper-reflective on Bitcoin. This definitely has an advantage to the degree that we all push each other, but it can also be destructive. It is therefore important to remember the CONTEXT of the times in which we now live. The international banksters are engineering some really bad shit, and Bitcoin is one of those incredible beacons of light that can help inspire others out of their sense of helplessness and survival-apathy.

I really admire many of the minds represented on this board. There are a lot of smart young guys here.

-Jack

bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 10:57:01 PM

now that is sweet folks! pure sweetness!  Grin

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 03:43:41 PM

I personally use the site to help pump myself up for facing a world that is rapidly disintegrating.

One of my concerns was that Bitcoin folks can become somewhat myopic in spending all their time hyper-reflective on Bitcoin. This definitely has an advantage to the degree that we all push each other, but it can also be destructive. It is therefore important to remember the CONTEXT of the times in which we now live. The international banksters are engineering some really bad shit, and Bitcoin is one of those incredible beacons of light that can help inspire others out of their sense of helplessness and survival-apathy.

I really admire many of the minds represented on this board. There are a lot of smart young guys here.

-Jack

My 1,000th post! I'll try to curb my enthusiasm.

First off, I fuckin' love your writing style. Your main and last paragraphs dumped so many images into my mind.

Compare this: (as one example)

One of my concerns was that Bitcoin folks can become somewhat myopic in spending all their time hyper-reflective on Bitcoin.

With this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_Your_Enthusiasm

David has explained the meaning of the show's title in TV interviews: It reflects his perception that many people seem to live their lives projecting false enthusiasm, which he believes is used to imply that "they are better than you."

Now this:

There truly are a lot of smart young, and older, guys and gals (white, black, brown, yellow, green, and what ever color trolls are) on this board. I've learned from all of them.

But most are only versed in a one or two fields. I feel we still have a security and marketing (PR) problem, and somehow these aspects still elude us. I'm not trying to split this post into several different tangents, although it may work out that way--my mind's in overdrive now.

In a nutshell, Bitcoin has a sliced bread problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBIVlM435Zg

In a world of too many options and too little time, our obvious choice is to just ignore the ordinary stuff. Marketing guru Seth Godin spells out why, when it comes to getting our attention, bad or bizarre ideas are more successful than boring ones.

In the late 80's, I was in my late 20's. A young guy with a young mind. I was a drywall hanger. A very good one. And I loved it. I was a subcontractor. One day I found myself inside my first geodesic dome home that needed the drywall hung. I looked around at all the angles and the stacks and stacks of drywall throughout the home. I called the drywall contractor and asked him why there was so much drywall in that house, whereupon he replied because you'll need every bit of it. I asked him if there was any drywall left over, will I be paid for all that is stocked in the house (I got paid per 4x12 foot board). He chuckled slightly and said yes. At the end of the project, I had exactly 97 boards left over. He paid me as agreed and then only had to pay the finisher 97 boards less than he previous thought he would have had to. All the scrap fit inside a pickup truck, whereas previously all the scrap would have filled a 2 ton dump truck. I even had less joints for the finisher to finish. The contractor asked me how I did it. I told him that after I cut the angle off one board, I flipped the other end and used it on the opposite wall. Prior, the subs simply tossed out those big pieces. I also told him that I could of done better if he would have stocked 14 and 16 footers, instead of all 12's. Although I wasn't a drywall finisher, I showed him how to save money on the finishing aspect and even make the the angles crisper. Needless to say, I did more than my fair share of geodesic domes homes in the Nashville area. Shortly thereafter, I supervised, then owned a drywall company. Now--I reclaim barn wood.

The point I'm trying to make, if there is one, is that a young mind can just about accomplish anything.

Let's get this GOD DAMN ball rollin', instead of this:

tonygal

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 03:55:25 PM

nice!

I can give you a "babe of the day" feed from STARE for free to use on your site.  look here:

http://www.staremagazine.com/Content.asp?Section=Affiliates

BitcoinRedLight (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 10:01:55 AM

First, couple of housekeeping things for the magazine website:

EVERYONE is invited to submit your Bitcoin related URL links. Just go to the http://BitcoinRedLight.com  website and on the right bar you will see the URL submit function, please mention your desired category (check first to see if it's already there).

Also, there is a new donation address - thank you to those who have sent support!

1BmMubNLxEucupKRb35BZ36rbikP7Fn73x

I also want to mention that there is a new twitter account located here:

http://twitter.com/#!/BitcoinRedLight

For those yet unfamiliar with the magazine - it is a, thinking, men's magazine. It has some socio-political commentary which is largely framed in macro-economics...all of which boils down to the fact that Bitcoin absolutely kicks-ass. That said, there is plenty of room for rational critique of Bitcoin and current events commentary.

At this juncture, I do not have big plans, but I would be delighted with the possibilities to monetize or branch, so any suggestions are more than welcome.

-Jack

My 1,000th post! I'll try to curb my enthusiasm.

First off, I fuckin' love your writing style. Your main and last paragraphs dumped so many images into my mind.

Compare this: (as one example)

One of my concerns was that Bitcoin folks can become somewhat myopic in spending all their time hyper-reflective on Bitcoin.

With this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_Your_Enthusiasm

David has explained the meaning of the show's title in TV interviews: It reflects his perception that many people seem to live their lives projecting false enthusiasm, which he believes is used to imply that "they are better than you."

Now this:

There truly are a lot of smart young, and older, guys and gals (white, black, brown, yellow, green, and what ever color trolls are) on this board. I've learned from all of them.

But most are only versed in a one or two fields. I feel we still have a security and marketing (PR) problem, and somehow these aspects still elude us. I'm not trying to split this post into several different tangents, although it may work out that way--my mind's in overdrive now.

In a nutshell, Bitcoin has a sliced bread problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBIVlM435Zg

In a world of too many options and too little time, our obvious choice is to just ignore the ordinary stuff. Marketing guru Seth Godin spells out why, when it comes to getting our attention, bad or bizarre ideas are more successful than boring ones.

In the late 80's, I was in my late 20's. A young guy with a young mind. I was a drywall hanger. A very good one. And I loved it. I was a subcontractor. One day I found myself inside my first geodesic dome home that needed the drywall hung. I looked around at all the angles and the stacks and stacks of drywall throughout the home. I called the drywall contractor and asked him why there was so much drywall in that house, whereupon he replied because you'll need every bit of it. I asked him if there was any drywall left over, will I be paid for all that is stocked in the house (I got paid per 4x12 foot board). He chuckled slightly and said yes. At the end of the project, I had exactly 97 boards left over. He paid me as agreed and then only had to pay the finisher 97 boards less than he previous thought he would have had to. All the scrap fit inside a pickup truck, whereas previously all the scrap would have filled a 2 ton dump truck. I even had less joints for the finisher to finish. The contractor asked me how I did it. I told him that after I cut the angle off one board, I flipped the other end and used it on the opposite wall. Prior, the subs simply tossed out those big pieces. I also told him that I could of done better if he would have stocked 14 and 16 footers, instead of all 12's. Although I wasn't a drywall finisher, I showed him how to save money on the finishing aspect and even make the the angles crisper. Needless to say, I did more than my fair share of geodesic domes homes in the Nashville area. Shortly thereafter, I supervised, then owned a drywall company. Now--I reclaim barn wood.

The point I'm trying to make, if there is one, is that a young mind can just about accomplish anything.

Let's get this GOD DAMN ball rollin', instead of this:

http://haasventures.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/ball-rolling1.jpg

Great post, Phin, thank you! Sorry it's taken me a little while to reply.

It sounds like we're about the same age, which puts us well over the median for this crowd. But these guys are smart and I enjoy the energy (enjoyed your drywall tale)! And, as you rightly point out, there are all sorts of others who are gathering unto Bitcoin, as it were, and we each bring a useful set of tools and references.   

RE: Bitcoin's 'sliced bread' problem.

The TED presentation was interesting and he made classic PR arguments: i.e. a) ideas that spread - win. b)We have way too many choices. C)Is it remarkable? D) We're ALL in the fashion business.

Now I think about those ideas relative to Bitcoin and it strikes me that Bitcoin is already SO radical, that its almost as if making Bitcoin boring is a good agenda. Bitcoin is very difficult for the vast majority of people to get their heads around. If fact, I don't think anybody can completely do it. The implications are just too vast.

In addition, we're in a very different economic environment than when that TED presentation was made. The current environment is primarily about shrinkage (lol, can't get a Seinfeld episode out of me head when writing 'shrinkage'), not expansion.

And in that context, people tend to go for the safe and known. Hence people are still buying bonds and clutching FRNs, despite massive indicators to the contrary.

In short, IMO we need far more of the Gavins than the Bruces.

BitcoinRedLight (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 10:10:53 AM

nice!

I can give you a "babe of the day" feed from STARE for free to use on your site.  look here:

http://www.staremagazine.com/Content.asp?Section=Affiliates

Sound cool. Do I need to sign up or can you just give me the feed?
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 10:30:17 AM

please stop making so precise topic titles: it spoils the suspens of opening the thread...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: