Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:13:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many houses will burn down due to mining?  (Read 3513 times)
Tosmekop

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 06:15:57 PM

Why don't you guys just buy gas powered generators?
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ymer

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 06:22:42 PM

Why would anyone do that?  Roll Eyes
Tosmekop

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 06:26:27 PM

Why not?
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 06:05:08 AM

I was watching the news on TV a few days ago, and there was a segment on how it is so much harder to fight fire when the weather's icy cold.

Anyway, it got me thinking. With all the miners ordering these new fangled ASIC hardware at home, there's bound to be at least a few idiots, with dollars signs dancing in their eyes, who cram as many units as they can for maximum profit. They don't plan for electrical load, blinded by greed. Electrical overload happens and fire will consume these idiots' houses.

Authority will catch on to this and will start to put their foot down, banning bitcoin mining at home.

Mark my word, this too shall pass.

Is that like the Fire Departments/local code enforcement banning indoor use of gas/charcoal grills for heating and yet every year tens of people die of CO poisoning. Stupid is as stupid does.
ymer

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 06:31:27 AM

Why not?

Ever done the math?
rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 12:19:55 PM

It is very simple to put a 14.9A continuous load on a 15A breaker intended for residential purposes and still burn the wiring and the house down since wiring is only rated for 80% continuous loads...its a perfect storm actually.

If that would ever happen in a modern building you should probably fire your electrician, if your breakers has the same maximum rating as your wiring you are doing it wrong.
johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 12:27:04 PM

This is a Public Service Announcement.

Please do not install ASIC miners in your house without consulting electricians.

Sure, if you have the low hash units like the Jalapenos, Blades, Cubes, etc, you don't have to talk to your local electrician, unless you have more than 10 of these units.

All the new, upcoming miners require kilo-watts of power. Take the example of the Terraminer: it requires you to pull power from 2 separate circuits and will probably require you to upgrade from 15 Amp to 20 Amp. KNC Neptunes require similar power draw and upgrade.

How many people are going to install these potential fire hazard without proper care and understanding? Quite a lot, I'm afraid.

Nah, the chances of burning your house is really low unless your house is like 20 years old..
vrm86

Activity: 676

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 12:55:44 PM

When the 110V-part of the world burns due to mining, the 220-250V-part gonna win  Cheesy
pjviitas

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:31:28 PM

This is a Public Service Announcement.

Please do not install ASIC miners in your house without consulting electricians.

Sure, if you have the low hash units like the Jalapenos, Blades, Cubes, etc, you don't have to talk to your local electrician, unless you have more than 10 of these units.

All the new, upcoming miners require kilo-watts of power. Take the example of the Terraminer: it requires you to pull power from 2 separate circuits and will probably require you to upgrade from 15 Amp to 20 Amp. KNC Neptunes require similar power draw and upgrade.

How many people are going to install these potential fire hazard without proper care and understanding? Quite a lot, I'm afraid.

Nah, the chances of burning your house is really low unless your house is like 20 years old..

Why are you advising people to connect a dangerous number of miners in their home?
zoran

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:47:46 PM

2-3 ASICs cannot burn your house. 40 Gigabyte videocards can  Grin
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:06:07 PM

It is very simple to put a 14.9A continuous load on a 15A breaker intended for residential purposes and still burn the wiring and the house down since wiring is only rated for 80% continuous loads...its a perfect storm actually.

If that would ever happen in a modern building you should probably fire your electrician, if your breakers has the same maximum rating as your wiring you are doing it wrong.

The max rating is less than the continuous rating.  Or you'd never be able to start your AC.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
pjviitas

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:42:37 PM

2-3 ASICs cannot burn your house. 40 Gigabyte videocards can  Grin

Depending on what else you have on the breaker 3 oc'd antminers on a single 15A breaker might burn your house down...4 for sure will.
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 10:50:13 PM

I look through the pics thread and am aghast at what I see.  How do people think some of that is OK?

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
rograz

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 01:11:23 AM

The max rating is less than the continuous rating.  Or you'd never be able to start your AC.

Let me clarify then, if your breaker has a rating higher than the continuous load rating of your wiring you are doing it wrong.

The max rating is less than the continuous rating.  Or you'd never be able to start your AC.

It's not sub 0,5S loads we are talking about.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 03:29:13 AM

Also, be careful with the PCI-E cables running from the power supplies to some of the ASIC miners. Some of the PC cables can run very hot, especially if you bundle them together in loom or tightly wrap them. Best bet is to move your equipment to somewhere safe and outside of a home.

pjviitas

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 05:10:44 AM

The max rating is less than the continuous rating.  Or you'd never be able to start your AC.

Let me clarify then, if your breaker has a rating higher than the continuous load rating of your wiring you are doing it wrong.

Doing what wrong...most people don't wire their own homes and 80% continuous rating is not a contravention of the electrical code.

Starting AC is exactly what sub 0.5s loads are.
ElGabo

Activity: 635

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:27:07 PM

I'm just thinking about it.

The cost would be half with the generator and with the hot side you can solve the cooling.

But it's a high investment, I'll wait a few months with that to see what will happen on the asic market.

" I'm waiting for my punishment, I know it's on my way
  So cut, cut, cut me up and fuck, fuck, fuck me up"
AndrewGucci

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:03:11 PM

The cost would be half with the generator and with the hot side you can solve the cooling.

But it's a high investment, I'll wait a few months with that to see what will happen on the asic market.

Do you really think it will be worth trying ?
ElGabo

Activity: 635

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:57:08 PM

Do you really think it will be worth trying ?

Here where I live yes.

Just need a good contract for commercial gas source. But it's not the small ball game. It's about 100-150 kw.... That means for example 300-350 antminers to run....

" I'm waiting for my punishment, I know it's on my way
  So cut, cut, cut me up and fuck, fuck, fuck me up"
rograz

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 04:43:21 PM

Doing what wrong...most people don't wire their own homes and 80% continuous rating is not a contravention of the electrical code.

Starting AC is exactly what sub 0.5s loads are.

Ye but my whole point is that turning on something that causes a load spike for 0,5s will not burn up your wiring in this case.

Alright if I say it like this then, If your breaker allows for a high enough continuous load to damage your wiring, let alone start a fire you should probably redo your wiring or downgrade the breakers. Like if they allow for that one of the biggest damn points of even having them installed is removed, might as well go back the the early 1900s.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: