Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:51:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU Mining  (Read 798 times)
Davis14 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:07:46 AM

I know CPU mining is bad but what software could I use to try it out or how can I get it on guiminer.

*Link Removed*  [url=h
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Maxinkow

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:51:20 AM

I know CPU mining is bad but what software could I use to try it out or how can I get it on guiminer.

You will be very disappointed with CPU mining  Undecided
Cards4Coin

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 01:04:29 AM

You will waste more power than you will ever generate in BTC.  Even GPUs are practically worthless for mining and can hardly pay their own power bill, not to mention all the heat they generate.  You can get an idea of what your expected hash rate will be here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#CPUs.2FAPUs  It also lists the miner software used and the settings they had for the most part.  You can try some of those miners if they are even still maintained.  ~15 MHash/s for a decent CPU is not worth the effort it takes to get everything installed and running, but if you have nothing but free time and just want to see how it works, go for it.
richardxtc

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:27:12 AM

cloud CPU mining!!! I have made quiet a few coins doing this, but mining alt coins not bitcoins!
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:54:02 AM

If you have a new generation CPU like Intel core i7, you can try scrypt mining on Alt-Coins. I have tried mining on i7 in past and I was getting around 50 khash/sec, so don't extpect huge profits, but you will at least learn basics of mining and can move forward.

For CPU mining, use Pooler's CPU miner (google it or search this forum).
Denni

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:29:12 AM

If you have a new generation CPU like Intel core i7, you can try scrypt mining on Alt-Coins. I have tried mining on i7 in past and I was getting around 50 khash/sec, so don't extpect huge profits, but you will at least learn basics of mining and can move forward.

50 khash on i7, that's weird. I had 20 mhash on my mac air (i5). Maybe you meant mhash?

btc_dev

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:34:54 AM

I can assure u that rather than CPU mining Bitcoin, u'll make more from my signature in less time.
cz_miner

Activity: 45

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:10:13 AM

50 khash on i7, that's weird. I had 20 mhash on my mac air (i5). Maybe you meant mhash?

You are talking 20 Mhashes with SHA256 mining, while 50 Khashes refers to SCRYPT mining.
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:00:29 AM

You are talking 20 Mhashes with SHA256 mining, while 50 Khashes refers to SCRYPT mining.

That's correct. 50 khash/sec on SCRYPT mining.
RebelWorm

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:10:39 AM

I did that. The price of some of the coins mined rose, and got worth quite a lot.

To OP, use this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpuminer/
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:47:11 PM

I did that. The price of some of the coins mined rose, and got worth quite a lot.

To OP, use this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpuminer/

CPU miner is good for CPU mining Smiley
OP could play with it and have fun, but please beware that it will not be profitable at all.
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:10:27 AM

Whether it will be profitable or not depends on how teh prices of the coins you mine rise or fall. For example you could be mining some new coin which does not seem to be profitable. But you keep collecting them; then some day the coin appears on Cryptsy and other exchanges and the value skyrockets.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: