Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:10:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: e-mail bitcoins  (Read 3092 times)
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 04:14:58 AM

BTCinch.com offers this service and it works REALLY well.  OP - PM me and I'll send you .1 bitcoins to show you.

This site is running off a wordpress backend that you have removed all copyright statements from. I'm pretty sure that's a violation of their open-source license. I could be wrong, but it's besides the point. Wordpress is blogging software, it's not designed for the purpose you are going to use it for. If you are going to set up a secure, trustworthy e-wallet, you're going to have to do better job at programming it than modifying and tinkering around with an open-source wordpress blogging CMS.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
J.P. Larocque

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 11:10:03 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2011, 11:25:51 AM by J.P. Larocque

Cut out the middle man. Hey mom, I encrypted this bitcoin private key with your PGP. Decrypt it and use the import key utility built into bitcoin v1.2.04.

I like this.  Richard Rahl, it doesn't have to be any harder than "after you download and install Bitcoin, open the attached Bitcoins" (Content-Type: application/bitcoin-privkey-transfer [hypothetical]).

Encryption with PGP is complementary and composes nicely into the whole MIME hierarchy.  Forget about PGP for $10 worth of Bitcoins to Mom, but for a $10000 transfer, you bet.

Some discussion on key export formats:

[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 03:37:06 AM

Sending wallet.dat may be good enough only if you know for sure that the recipient doesn't have his own wallet yet. Otherwise it would be more difficult to reclaim those coins.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
bearbones

Activity: 316

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2011, 11:50:00 PM

BTCinch.com offers this service and it works REALLY well.  OP - PM me and I'll send you .1 bitcoins to show you.

This site is running off a wordpress backend that you have removed all copyright statements from. I'm pretty sure that's a violation of their open-source license. I could be wrong, but it's besides the point. Wordpress is blogging software, it's not designed for the purpose you are going to use it for. If you are going to set up a secure, trustworthy e-wallet, you're going to have to do better job at programming it than modifying and tinkering around with an open-source wordpress blogging CMS.

BTCinch.com uses wordpress as a base upon which to build, because it is a solid structure. We comply fully with the requirements of the GPL 2 license on which it is released. We've implemented literally dozens of security fixes, which we intend to contribute back to the community. These fixes, along with the contributions of a multitude of coders, make BTCinch.com quite secure. We believe that the efforts of a global community can far outstrip the efforts of an individual or small group. What's more, no bank info or bitcoins are stored on the web server. This is, in our opinion, basic security for a bitcoin business. That isn't really the point, though.

The bottom line is: if you have a problem with open source software, I'd recommend reassessing your participation in bitcoin.

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
Simon Barber

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 07:15:24 PM

See my recent post on Bitcoin URIs - it enables this.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45512.0
J.P. Larocque

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 08:22:39 PM

I don't think that's an appropriate use of URIs.  Why not use a document?
Simon Barber

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 09:57:44 PM

I don't think that's an appropriate use of URIs.  Why not use a document?
A URI is an identifier - in this case identifying some unclaimed bitcoins, and giving you the means to claim them.

A document isn't as convenient as a URI in some situations. To use a URI from an SMS, you just click on it. From an SMS there isn't any simple integration for documents.

I like the idea of putting the information in a document as well. Documents would work for sending bitcoin by email or downloading it from a webpage.
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2011, 01:24:09 PM

BTCinch.com uses wordpress as a base upon which to build, because it is a solid structure. We comply fully with the requirements of the GPL 2 license on which it is released. We've implemented literally dozens of security fixes, which we intend to contribute back to the community. These fixes, along with the contributions of a multitude of coders, make BTCinch.com quite secure. We believe that the efforts of a global community can far outstrip the efforts of an individual or small group. What's more, no bank info or bitcoins are stored on the web server. This is, in our opinion, basic security for a bitcoin business. That isn't really the point, though.

The bottom line is: if you have a problem with open source software, I'd recommend reassessing your participation in bitcoin.

I don't have a problem with open source software whatsoever.

My point was that an e-wallet service should not be using blogging/publishing software as their frontend, because this is not what wordpress is designed for. I know it can be customized, but it does not inspire much trust in an intermediary if their business does not have the technical and programming proficiency to create a system of their own, without the need to use third-party frontends.

Wordpress is a fantastic CMS, but it not designed to be used for the purpose of facilitating a secure e-wallet platform.
I'm sure your site is safe, however, I would not trust my money with such a service.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: