Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:00:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vast expansion of BTC utility/reputation - but no rise in BTC price? Why?  (Read 5468 times)
aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 12:55:13 PM

Well if I was a veteran living in my villa paid thanks to BTC, with a Ferrari in the garage, and enough fiat to ride the next couple of years with my remaining BTCs, I would be calm too !

I have almost no BTC and only invested into computer hardware I'm confident I can use differently or sell (IT guy) so I'm calm, for other reasons. I HODL my 1 BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dr Bloggood (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 02:46:25 PM

In Reply to Dr Bloggood:

There is a global tightening of capital flows going on reminiscent of what was happening exactly 100 years ago. Capital controls, reporting requirements, etc.

Bank secrecy (at least for US citizens) is a distant memory as they live under the omniscient Eye R.S. and the FATCA that has made US citizens lepers in the world financial markets since the reporting requirements make every bank in the world a deputy of the Eye R.S. regarding US citizens ... All of those factors plus the fact that the Euro still looks like a badly constructed accord plus the instability in South America.... Etc... those are the background datapoints that make criptocoins enticing... Yes, every financial/monetary shock (and they are coming) will push more people towards criptos: not because they love them but because people with some wealth and not part of THE CLUB will try anything to salvage their $$$.

I guess you are right.

And these factors haven't even really come into play yet with the masses.
Dr Bloggood (OP)

Activity: 336

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 02:48:20 PM

It would be splendid if bitcoin can do half of what it did in 2013.

It would be.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 04:04:09 PM

Just wait until the bitcoin miners reach the point where they realise they won't get a ROI on their mining hardware with the increasing difficulty, which came to realisation a few weeks ago. They have begun hoarding when it is mathematically impossible to get a ROI. Less coins on exchanges over peroid of 1stJAN-March31st creates artificial scarcity. Around this point or after you will see a huge price hike, to a price where people who got in the game past 3-4 months are able to receive their ROI, which is at least 2x current price. The subsequent increase in price will attract a wave of media attention and more pyramid blocks will come to buy-in. Greed is the self regulating factor from mining manufacturers who are mining with the hardware as it comes off the production line. The pyramid will continue folks!

Bingo! +1

Price follows difficulty. Worry about the price when you start seeing less mining and lower difficulty (like feathercoin  Cry )

I'm grumpy!!
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:39:14 PM

Price follows difficulty.

No it really doesn't. Someone did actual math on this. I don't have a link to the post but its here if someone wants to find it.

The causality runs in the other direction (i.e. difficulty follows price), although it isn't terribly strong in that direction either. There are lots of other factors influencing both.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:15:17 AM

Quote from: cryptoanarchist

Bingo! +1

Price follows difficulty. Worry about the price when you start seeing less mining and lower difficulty (like feathercoin  Cry )

So what are your thoughts on FTC?

I like the dev team, and I liked the coin's design, so I bought a few back when they were still new. Now, I think they are getting lost in the sea of altcoins and just don't have enough going for them to make it long term.

I'm grumpy!!
Impaler

Activity: 826

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:41:56 AM

Just wait until the bitcoin miners reach the point where they realise they won't get a ROI on their mining hardware with the increasing difficulty, which came to realisation a few weeks ago. They have begun hoarding when it is mathematically impossible to get a ROI. Less coins on exchanges over peroid of 1stJAN-March31st creates artificial scarcity. Around this point or after you will see a huge price hike, to a price where people who got in the game past 3-4 months are able to receive their ROI, which is at least 2x current price. The subsequent increase in price will attract a wave of media attention and more pyramid blocks will come to buy-in. Greed is the self regulating factor from mining manufacturers who are mining with the hardware as it comes off the production line. The pyramid will continue folks!

Bingo! +1

zerk has it backwards, for most of the big run up in exchange rates the miners were holding and counting their paper-gains, when they lose profitability it will force them to START selling their newly produced coins to pay ongoing operating costs.  Coin flows into exchanges will rise not fall and exchange rates will fall not rise.  This is what happened the last time miners over-invested in the GPU era, and realized they couldn't meet ROI or even cover operating costs.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆