Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:16:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum hack user data  (Read 1972 times)
aq (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:04:55 PM

There are a few very outspoken anti bitcoin members in this very forum. But spending at least 15 hours a day in this forum bad-mouthing something they apparently hate, one has to ask what is their real aim in being here. So it would be great if we could have more data about those people.
This leads me to asking, does anyone know if as a result this last hack some user data of this forum is already downloadable somewhere?
I guess seeing some email and/or IP addresses could probably reveal their real mission. I mean, just image we would a bunch of paypal addresses.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
coinhammer

Activity: 62
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:10:56 PM

There are a few very outspoken anti bitcoin members in this very forum. But spending at least 15 hours a day in this forum bad-mouthing something they apparently hate, one has to ask what is their real aim in being here. So it would be great if we could have more data about those people.
This leads me to asking, does anyone know if as a result this last hack some user data of this forum is already downloadable somewhere?
I guess seeing some email and/or IP addresses could probably reveal their real mission. I mean, just image we would a bunch of paypal addresses.

I applaud your vigilance, Comrade. The Ministry of Love will have the Thought Police look into this right away.
ClownCoins

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:24:20 PM

clowncoin@safetymail.info

Knock yourself out.

Alternatively, you could just ask what my mission is.

Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:06:13 PM

But spending at least 15 hours a day in this forum bad-mouthing something they apparently hate, one has to ask what is their real aim in being here. So it would be great if we could have more data about those people.

It is a legitimate question.  Even if you truly hate Bitcoin, why not go somewhere else and make positive contributions to something which is antithetical to Bitcoin?  Hell, there are lots of things happening in the world that I dislike, but I will not waste my time seeking out and trolling places where those things are discussed.  Life is too short.  I'd rather hang out with people who have similar goals and objectives and try to accomplish something together, cooperate rather than antagonize.  I have to believe that one or more of the following three things are true: 1) these people are paid to be here, 2) Bitcoin threatens their very manner of existence in some way, or 3) these people operate with a totally different set of values than the rest of us.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
ClownCoins

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:25:21 PM

I have to believe that one or more of the following three things are true: 1) these people are paid to be here, 2) Bitcoin threatens their very manner of existence in some way, or 3) these people operate with a totally different set of values than the rest of us.

You missed one...

4) Some people who were interested in Bitcoin have seen it attract crowds of gullible fucking lunatics who queue up to be scammed again and again and again. They tried pointing out the stupidity, wishful thinking and maybe even predicted some of the incessant chain of cluster-fucks that more-or-less defines the "bitcoin ecosystem". About the only thing left to do is try and get a laugh out of it.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:29:16 PM

Motive is everything. Why would someone invest so much time badmouthing BTC? I have no answer so far. Drive down price for a buy?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:33:55 PM

I have to believe that one or more of the following three things are true: 1) these people are paid to be here, 2) Bitcoin threatens their very manner of existence in some way, or 3) these people operate with a totally different set of values than the rest of us.

You missed one...

4) Some people who were interested in Bitcoin have seen it attract crowds of gullible fucking lunatics who queue up to be scammed again and again and again. They tried pointing out the stupidity, wishful thinking and maybe even predicted some of the incessant chain of cluster-fucks that more-or-less defines the "bitcoin ecosystem". About the only thing left to do is try and get a laugh out of it.

So, since  a few intellectually impaired people have been scammed out of their bitcoins, you've launched a vendetta against bitcoin?
ClownCoins

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:51:13 PM

So, since  a few intellectually impaired people have been scammed out of their bitcoins, you've launched a vendetta against bitcoin?

Very misleading.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:03:07 PM

It is a legitimate question.  Even if you truly hate Bitcoin, why not go somewhere else and make positive contributions to something which is antithetical to Bitcoin? 
You're probably overthinking it. Some people simply have too much time on their hand and that frustrates them. And instead of spending it constructively, by learning a skill, or building something, etc they rather vandalize someone elses work. Some of them hang in the streets, others on the internet...

As this forum is hardly moderated, and money-related stuff brings out the worst in people, it makes sense a lot of them hang out here. Try the same on the Ubuntu forums and you're banned in 5 minutes.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
ClownCoins

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:48:45 PM

Some people simply have too much time on their hand and that frustrates them etc. etc.

Well when you put it like that I now realise the error of my ways.

I merely have too much time on my hands. If I wasn't hell bent on destruction I wouldn't have time to see the constant stream of innovative new pyramid schemes, infantile political diatribe, incompetence, greed and dishonesty.

Hear that? It's the sound of your confirmation bias echoing off the padded walls of these forums.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 01:41:04 AM

So, did my and FAtlas's comments earn a spot in the memory hole because:

- carping about my e-mail addy being released due to bitcoingtalk.org incompetence was considered not properly on-topic (on the 'Forum hack user data' thread)  or

- did I not show the proper level of righteous indignation at the antics of the SA '13 year olds'?

Not that it matters greatly.  It is just another in a long list of amusing things associated with Bitcoin and the people involved.  Maybe I am remembering the wrong thread anyway.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 06:29:05 AM

Some people simply have too much time on their hand and that frustrates them etc. etc.

Well when you put it like that I now realise the error of my ways.

I merely have too much time on my hands. If I wasn't hell bent on destruction I wouldn't have time to see the constant stream of innovative new pyramid schemes, infantile political diatribe, incompetence, greed and dishonesty.

Hear that? It's the sound of your confirmation bias echoing off the padded walls of these forums.

Thanks for the ignore button, bitcointalk. Poof!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: